ALK Trachorn upgrade complete

sootshe

Guys,

If you are going to start changing the horns on the same driver that Bob uses to make his CT125 you might as well move to a new horn with an even better driver yet. I like the Beyma CP25 myself. Remember that the big advantage of Bob's CT125 is that it an improved driver on a drop-in horn. If you are going to sit it on top, you don't need the drop-in feature horn or the driver that fits on that horn. Just go for a better complete tweeter!

BTW: I see your point about the extra height messing up the sound path. Here's a silly idea: hang the tweeter, verticly mounted, off the "inboard" side of each speaker in alignment with the K55. It will certainly make for an interesting experiment!

Al K.

I agree, if you're going to change the horn on the same driver, then you might as well go for a better driver. So been doing a bit of research & found the Beyma CP21F. This seems to have a better horizontal dispersion than the CP25 & is 1 db more efficient. Anyone here have any experience with this driver?

cp21f.pdf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's the spec sheet on the CP25. Another reason for looking into the 21F instead of the 25 is that I notice on the Europe Audio site that the recone kit for the 25 is discontinued.

Can anyone interpret the frequency response graphs given in the spec sheets for me, as to the possible difference between these two drivers?

cp25.pdf

And here's the spec sheet on the CP25. Another reason for looking into the 21F instead of the 25 is that I notice on the Europe Audio site that the recone kit for the 25 is discontinued.

I've always liked the idea of the CP21F, too, and it remminds me so much of the JBL 2405 ring radiator. Plus, it takes up less space on the baffle. I've been tempted to put a pair in my JBL 4311s. It would take some crossover work, but that needs to be done anyway. I would be able to return to stock with nothing visiblly altered.

Also have a look at the Selenium ST324. It's a120x40. Only rated up to 18k, it looks to have a gentle slope. At under $30, it's almost a no brainer to try...

Bruce

Bruce,

You need to get those 21F's for your JBL's, then you can tell me whether they're better than the APT's!!!

They would look great in the JBLS's though.

I see a site I came across (http://www.bltsound.com/) sells the horn flares as a seperate item. Just have to figure out how to get them to here in Oz, as I think he only sells to US & Canada. He has the baby cheeks flares for $22.99 each & the horn flare from the APT150 for $6.50 each.

Cheers,

John

I have just become a Beyma dealer, so I am stocking certain models. Of course the CP-25 at $130 each, plus shipping, and I'm also keeping a couple pairs of CP-21F tweeters on hand at the same price. The curves look really good on the CP21F and I'm anxious to try them in my own Khorns.

Email me if you're interested in any Beyma products.

Greg

You need to get those 21F's for your JBL's, then you can tell me whether they're better than the APT's!!!

They would be great, but they will need to be padded down compared to the original dome tweeter. If I can also replace the 5" midrange, I can get everything balanced out with new crossovers...

Maybe I should just buy some Heresy IIIs. [:|]

Bruce

They would be great, but they will need to be padded down compared to the original dome tweeter. If I can also replace the 5" midrange, I can get everything balanced out with new crossovers...

Maybe I should just buy some Heresy IIIs. Indifferent

Bruce

Upgrade kit.

• 4 months later...

Great looking speakers!

Did you order the Trachorns from ALK or build them yourself?

I've been thinking about ordering the new 420s for my new Klipschorns (new to me anyway, from eBay, and still on a ship somewhere over the pacific)

Guest David H

Great looking speakers! Did you order the Trachorns from ALK or build them yourself? I've been thinking about ordering the new 420s for my new Klipschorns (new to me anyway, from eBay, and still on a ship somewhere over the pacific)

omodo, welcome to the forums. Enjoy your new to you KHorns.

Dave Harris

Great looking speakers!

Did you order the Trachorns from ALK or build them yourself?

I've been thinking about ordering the new 420s for my new Klipschorns (new to me anyway, from eBay, and still on a ship somewhere over the pacific)

These are ALK horns & I couldn't be happier with them. Great product & great service.

Congrats on the completion of your project!  To say that they sound better than the Altec 19's is very high praise indeed.  You must be thrilled!

Thanks gaspr,

Yes they sound great, but I still have some more tweaking to do. Going to be experimenting with a new baffle board for the tweeter fitted with acoustic foam. Should be interesting.[:)]

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Greg,

If I go with any Beyma products I'll let you know

Am very interested to see what you think of the 21F's....keep us posted.

Thanks,

John

I did finally try some Beyma CP21F's. They are good, but I don't think they sound as nice as the CP25's. I'll make someone a good deal on the pair I bought if you're interested. As I said, they sound very nice, and they are more flexible to install in different speakers than the CP25.

www.voltiaudio.com/tweeters.shtml

Greg