The Prisoner

Oblio

I remember the original from high school days.

As background of what was on in those days: Man from Uncle was fun. Secret Agent (McGoohan) was what we now call edgy. I Spy had appeal particularly with the interplay of Culp and Cosby.

OT: Who could know how far Cosby would go. But he had some very funny dry wit and an understated intelligence which always came through. In one episode Culp is held for ransom. When Cosby shows up with money Culp asks why it took so long. Cosby's answer: "You'd be surprised how long it takes to collect a million dollars, even if you're only asking a nickel a person." Cosby must have written that.

Anyway, in later years I appreciated memories of The Prisoner as Existentalism. It is interesting that in the opening scene he is driving a Lotus 7 through London IIRC.

McGoohan had an intersting history in the spy genre including The Scarecrow on Disney -- sort of an Anglican minister as Zorro.

In my view, McGoohan and his smoldering hostility was a large part of what made the original work. The present Number Six doesn't recreate that. Plus, much of the plot is surpressed memories -- which is an overused theme. I may rent it on DVD because the commercials are breaking up the atmosphere.

Have you noticed that in the AMC version there is a bar-restaurant with a velocipede? It has been in three scenes tonight.

Audio on cheapo cable in Chicago is good on the Quartets.

Wm McD

post-2552-1381951287957_thumb.jpg

In my view, McGoohan and his smoldering hostility was a large part of what made the original work. The present Number Six doesn't recreate that. Plus, much of the plot is surpressed memories -- which is an overused theme. I may rent it on DVD because the commercials are breaking up the atmosphere.

I am about ready to throttle that darn Gecko [:@]

Have you noticed that in the AMC version there is a bar-restaurant with a velocipede? It has been in three scenes tonight.

Yes, I caught that, I wanted to jump up and yell, 'look at that', but no one would know what I was talking about [:$]

Audio on cheapo cable in Chicago is good on the Quartets.

The audio for me is good, but not great, seems more dynamic on those darn commercials.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the entire original series on DVD...I love it, but none of my friends get it. Things got really crazy weird by the last episode....

So is this new series a modern remake, or supposed to be a sequel to the first series? I'll have to look it up.

I've got the entire original series on DVD...I love it, but none of my friends get it. Things got really crazy weird by the last episode....

So is this new series a modern remake, or supposed to be a sequel to the first series? I'll have to look it up.

Modern remake.

I've watched the original series dozens of times, and even though I really like it -- it never revealed exactly what in the hell was going on (which added to the interest). The last episode is bizarre and borders on the absurd.

Repressed memories, yes -- but more so on the alternate reality created by 2's wife (who I surmized must be Number 1). I thought the remake was excellent and was really impressed with the last hour. Solid ending with a great twist.

Sure wish AMC would go HD!

I've watched the original series dozens of times, and even though I really like it -- it never revealed exactly what in the hell was going on (which added to the interest). The last episode is bizarre and borders on the absurd.

According to an interview with Patrick McGoohan that I recall, the plot was written every week without much forethought, so when they came to the last episode, they just sort of threw it together. No story arc fully laid out before the series began, or anything like that.