Jubilee HT.......

laager

OK, just bear with me. I'm considering going to Jubilees. However, I also like movies. More importantly, I like being able to feed (mirror) FL + FR into RL + RR, respectively, in order to get a massive 2 channel sound that really fills the whole room.

Hence the question: what would timbre match the Jubilees for center and surround and come close for sensitivity?

• Moderators

K402 horn on top of a LaScala bottom, it works, Jubscala a few have them now. Also there are some other theater models that work and have built on brackets for wall mounting, Bill Hendrix (sorry if I mispelled) has those in his Jubilee HT, also a match.

what would timbre match the Jubilees for center and surround and come close for sensitivity?

I have found that the Heritage series integrate fairly well with the K402/K69. Short of the JubScala (with K402 horn on top), this is the best match I've found.

Because of their higher sensitivity, I'd prefer to use La Scalas all around if I had the room, but I don't, so I use the next best thing: older Cornwalls (1981 models) and a Heresy I (1983 model) center. These use essentially the same drivers/horns as the Khorn or La Scala, so they sound very similar. (See profile.) I don't have the corners for the Khorns to be in the room with the Jubs - presently they are upstairs in the sewing room.

However, you must understand that you will hear a difference when the Heritage products are played individually vis-a-vis the Jubs w/K402 horn/K69A drivers. But when played together, the Jubs, CWs, and Heresy sound integrated.

I now use TAD TD-4002 drivers on the Jubs and the timbre changed from the K69s. It's hotter and much cleaner sounding presently.

I would not use anything from the Reference series--my experience with the RC-62 wasn't good as a center between Jubs. I was surprised at how well the Heresy sounded relative to the RC-62 - it was pretty much night and day. Presently, the Heresy in the center doesn't have the best eye appeal, but the ears trump the eyes in this case.

I didn't like surround speakers that splash their energy around the room (i.e., the Bose effect), they sounded too different. I'm not saying the the KPT-8-VB and KPT-12-VB sound bad with Jubs. I haven't heard them. But note that these cinema surrounds are really meant for large venues where one is filling a large auditorium with "surround presence".

The HT environment is a bit different, IMHO (and this is really opinion here...), but I like having the equivalent of "Front speakers" all the way around in the HT. This is not without precedence - Floyd Toole also recommends big speakers all the way around if you can tolerate them. I find that most homes and HTs have high WAF, so they usually get small speakers. The Cornwall and Jub polar responses are not terribly different. I think that you will find that becomes a big deal with the Jubs after you've owned them about a day or two...

When I put on DVD versions of Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band disks, which use all channels like they are front speakers, the effect is amazing: true surround sound - and you are in the middle. With Jubs, it will thrill most hard core audiophiles into submission.

Chris

Unfortunately, building bass bins and constructing Jubscalas is not an option for me

You've probably figured it out by now but buidling a JubeScala is only as difficult as buying some LaScalas and setting another horn on top. I might instead, (because of the wife) get the smaller K510 horn and put it in place of the K400 after making the hole larger for it to fit.

Your best first bet would be to contact Roy (roy.delgado@klipsch.com) and see if shipping to your destination or a place that you have access to can even be done by them. I'm sure he wouldn't know himself and would have to do some research.

All this stuff is available off the shelf, it ultimately comes down to how much $$ is it going to cost you and can it be received by you at your location.

Chris: I have been using large (Cornwalls) speakers for effects channels for four years. Yes, they work pretty well with other heritage speakers, but I will say that they are not optimum for effects speakers. The reason is that they fire the sound directly at your ears, which I'm pretty sure defeats the idea of a 'surround' effects speaker. I'm no cinema expert, but the idea in a theater environment is to NOT be able to localize sounds unless that is what the director intended. It gives the film a sense of spaciousness if you can properly disperse the sound.

Now, the KPT-1201 and KPT-12-VB should do the trick rather well. I certainly hope so......review to follow.

What is the minimum dimension of a Jub ? I have a bonus room, currently the kids playroom, that is a candidate for a dedicated HT room. Only problem is the rather small door leading to it. A KHorn or La Scala will go through based on LS specs and KHorn measurements but I am interested in if a Jub will.

What is the minimum dimension of a Jub ? I have a bonus room, currently the kids playroom, that is a candidate for a dedicated HT room. Only problem is the rather small door leading to it. A KHorn or La Scala will go through based on LS specs and KHorn measurements but I am interested in if a Jub will.

The depth on the bass bin is just shy of 24in. The current model has had some slight construction changes, so it is possible that I am off by a fraction of an inch.

Of course it will make it through the door .....

From the Klipsch Commercial Website/Brochure:

KPT-Jubilee® 535

45Hz-19kHz ± 3dB,-10dB @ 34Hz

500Hz, 5kHz

LF 0ms MF 2.27ms HF 2.81ms

24dB/Octave

105dB

Horizontal 90° ± 20° 200Hz-18kHz Vertical 60° ± 20° 600Hz-19kHz

LF Device KPT-KHJ-LF MF Device KPT-402-MF HF Device KPT-GRAND-HF-T

77.25" (196.2cm) Tall

41.5" (105.41cm) Wide

24.25" (61.6cm) Deep

265 lbs. (120.6kg)

Would be shorter with just a 510 etc.

Sorry I have not figured out how to get line returns to work on the new imac.

The reason is that they fire the sound directly at your ears, which I'm pretty sure defeats the idea of a 'surround' effects speaker.

Well, that's the discussion. Toole says that you want controlled directivity (i.e., "fire the sound directly at your ears", in HT environments. Large commercial cinemas are a different story.)

Some say "potatoe", some say "Potato"[:S].