Klipsch Cinema Speakers ( Pro Versions)

o0O Bill O0o

Given the fact that many of us are huge fans of Klipsch's products, Why not publicly sell Cinema Speakers to the consumer?

We are already make our own version of the Jubilees! There is a market.

I figure from a company stand-point Klipsch's strategy these days is Best Buy and online retailers, since really that is where we all shop and if you don't, why don't you!? Kidding.

What I would like to see is Manufacturer Suggested Retail Prices next to the Cinema Lines. Why buy the home version when you can get the real deal? I know that at LEAST one (of us) will buy a set of MCMs with Cherry or Walnut finish.. Or at least exploit customers request and installation showing them that anything is possible. back tracking, sub question.. MCM Grand vs Palladium.. what do you think sounds better? Yeah I thought so. So the financial risk for a big company like Klipsch to produce custom or pro -level products to the consumer, especially in the insanity of the audio world, is one worth taking. Take a cue from the Muscle Car boom. What speakers did those hot rodders listen to in there garages and at their parties back in the day? Re-enforce carrying the product loyalism to another generation.

When I look at the blog that some of the Klipsch employee's publish they pull up several years of advertising and products that promoted a true speaker company. My perception is the Heritage series, and the like, are really great examples of true High Fidelity. Klipsch continues to make great speakers that adapt with changing styles and tastes. Do Palladium's that are made today best the Klipschorn made MANY years ago? True statement, loudspeakers have not changed during those times. All still have a cone, voice coil, magnet, surround supported by a frame.. YA.. new materials, but same concept, compare to internal combustion (vehicle) engines- same concept new materials. This could go off on a tangent because it certainly debatable, but I'm talking about the testosterone of massive Cinema Speakers in our homes!

Your thoughts?

36865_full.jpg

Why not publicly sell Cinema Speakers to the consumer?

I know that at LEAST one (of us) will buy a set of MCMs with Cherry or Walnut finish

1. As far as I know, you DO have access to virtually any of their cinema lineup. You would simply avoid the box stores and contact one of their commercial dealers/installers.

2. With the way they try to grain match something like the Klipschorn, I don't know that they'd want to make that effort for something the size of the above system. They considered trying to create the Jubilee in a fancier wood than their stock version. My understanding is, Roy fiddled around with the cut sheet, trying to figure out how to make the proper cuts on the proper sides so the proper grains would match up and understandably finally threw his hands up saying forget it.... they won't do it. He did however, make the concession that they would simply attach a stock front panel on the front of it but that is the only panel that is 'pretty'. The rest of it is either unfinished or painted black.

I don't think it would really be economically worth their while to do a single one here & there unless they charged an outrageous price. I think they would have a better chance of doing it if they could create an assembly line and make a run of them all at once (which is how I understand they make their current models).

I'd be willing to bet a veryyyyyyyy nice dinner with you that it's going to be a really cold day in a really far off place, centered in the earth before this (fancy finshes) happen.

What might make more sense is to simply buy the units as factory black or perhaps factory unfinished and then veneer them as you choose. Probably a lot more cost effective?

• Moderators

MCM Grand vs Palladium.. what do you think sounds better

In a home the Palladium sounds better, back up another 100'- 500' with 500 of you closest friends and the MCM grand sounds better.

They are designed to do two different things......Now there are some people using Pro speakers in homes but the bigger pro speakers are not exactly what is used in a movie theater or concert stadium, they are slightly changed/modified.

I will give you an example, I use MWM bass bins with the K402 driver for mid and high frequencies, the driver I use is the K69. Both the K402 horn and the K69 driver are both commercial. but in a commercial application they are not used together, the K402 horn would get a different driver, but in a home the K69 works better.

In a home you don't need to cover the area of a 500 seat theater so a speaker/driver that works for the theater "may" not sound great when you sit 15' away in a 20'x20' room.

I love mine, but all the little details were worked out before I got into this, I would think it would just not be the best thing to try and buy big commercial speakers for the home as they are used in there commercial application, you would not get the best out of them.

If you or anyone else wants to try any of this PLEASE ask someone who has them what to do, you will be given the right direction to get all the answers you could want and save you $ in the long run.

I think they would have a better chance of doing it if they could create an assembly line and make a run of them all at once (which is how I understand they make their current models).

Richard, you and I need to talk about this notion a little bit...

What might make more sense is to simply buy the units as...factory unfinished and then veneer them as you choose...

In hindsight, I think unfinished is really the wisest approach that the determined Klipsch-o-phile should take to buying from the professional line.

I've found that 99.9% of the audiophile community first buys on looks, secondly on sound quality. It seems like huge amounts of time are spent in looks and pedigree, and only seconds are spent on thinking about sound quality. Most deny doing this. I think that I'm one of the few Jub owners that actually doesn't care very much, and that puts me in a very rare category, I suppose. Some home Jub owners have invested a great deal of time to finish them up. To me, a Jub applique front panel in a nice oiled wood grain would be sufficient - and I may get around to it once the "I wannas" subside a bit...and that day hasn't arrived yet. I've still got unfinished horn-loaded subs on the floor under the Jubs being covered by nice lap quilts [:|]

The biggest issue is that homeowners-buying-commercial are definitely counter-marketplace. Essentially all buyers seem to be investing in smaller and smaller speakers (ref: the size and cost of the Palladium series) in greater and greater quantities per setup (i.e., 7.1, 9.1, etc.). I think that the Klipsch marketing guys are probably not very interested in investing their time understanding this strange bunch of characters buying black speakers made in Hope...

We are already make our own version of the Jubilees! There is a market.

It's a very small market, indeed. I'd be willing to wager that the number of home Jub owners is very, very small with respect to all other consumer Klipsch product lines. The Jub is so ugly--it's almost cute (sort of like an English Bulldog). And almost no one is willing to invest this much in something that is not terribly pretty to the eye but beautiful to the ears.

And I find that most people that buy them are dissatisfied with the black finish, but are willing to live with it due to the perceived cost increase to have something that is both pretty and sounds as good. Used Khorns sound pretty good and look a LOT better than stock 2-way Jubs from the factory, and they cost a lot less (however, IMHO, the 2-way K402/KPT-KHJ-LF Jubs just outclass them acoustically, and that was the purpose of doing the "improved Khorn", right?).

Chris

We do have access to the Cinema line. You just have to ask nicely. I have found all the Klipsch employees to be extremely helpful and quick to respond.

I have no idea how Klipsch goes about marketing their products, but I'm fairly sure that if they could sell large amounts of cinema equipment to the general public, they would have a large portion of Best Buy dedicated to Jubilees. But I don't think the general public is into this hobby like we are. Our numbers of dedicated Klipsch fans are small in the big scheme of the market place.

I for one am extremely grateful that Klipsch does help us to obtain their professional line gear. Doesn't get much better than that with any company.

It's a very small market, indeed. I'd be willing to wager that the number of home Jub owners is very, very small with respect to all other consumer Klipsch product lines. The Jub is so ugly--it's almost cute (sort of like an English Bulldog). And almost no one is willing to invest this much in something that is not terribly pretty to the eye but beautiful to the ears.

And I find that most people that buy them are dissatisfied with the black finish, but are willing to live with it due to the perceived cost increase to have something that is both pretty and sounds as good. Used Khorns sound pretty good and look a LOT better than stock 2-way Jubs from the factory, and they cost a lot less (however, IMHO, the 2-way K402/KPT-KHJ-LF Jubs just outclass them acoustically, and that was the purpose of doing the "improved Khorn", right?).

Chris

Ya know, I've been reluctant to set up a dedicated HT because I would 'lose' my KHorns from our living area. Maybe the answer is to start my HT from scratch, anchoring it with some Jubs ... [H][6][<:o)]

Doesn't get much better than that with any company.

...and that's spelled "Roy Delgado"-- the real reason why we have the home Jubilee.

Here's a thought.

Klipsch (corporate) doesn't seem to interested in selling this stuff outside of their commercial arena. Certainly their choice and although we can lament, we have to respect that choice. Roy has bent a couple rules (not broken any, just nudged them) so those who want to get something like the Jubilee have the means to do so.

My suggestion is if you (or anyone) has any bona fide interest in Jubilees or any of their cinema lineup, to simply email Roy and direct 100% of your conversation through him. He's been gracious on his bending of the rules and if he were to unbend them, it might make our getting these things even more difficult.

The bending of the rules is evidently 'ok' up to this point in time since corporate hasn't shut him down....however..... that doesn't mean that if/as more people start to make inquires outside of Roy's requested paramaters (communicating with him directly) that corporate won't maybe change their mind as it might become a bigger headache than they want to fool with. As long as it's Roy's headache they seem to be putting up with it.

They probably have their reasons for not posting MSRP's publically. I'd speculate that all their dealers know what's going on and that is what really matters.

As for your captions above, I'd say one for all of them:

Proof of no wife or of the perfect wife! [:o]

Maybe the answer is to start my HT from scratch, anchoring it with some Jubs

Who says that you can't have it all? I like your attitude...

Chris