Cherry Cornscala ddb

shepjk01

Well inbetween work and having a 20 month old boy and 3 month old girl I finally almost finished my cornscala dbb build. The only thing left is to finish the front of the bass bins in veneer which will not happen until spring so right now the grills just cover the bass bin front. These cornscala dbb differ from the plans in the porting and the woofers used in the bass bins. Instead of being slot ported the bins have triangular ports in the four corners and also do not use k33's. Along with the help of jwc I opted to use the new eminence kapplite 3015lf. In my opionon a much better and lighter woofer. The bass bins are ported to a tune of 41hz. The tops are composed of a set of gregs fc260's along with jbl 2485j's and jbl 2404h for tweeters. As a stand in crossover for the moment I'm using alk's universal crossover while maybe not perfect for the combination they sound better than I expected. The final goal is to go to an active crossove and I'm currently gathering the peices to do so.I wil updat the thread with build pictures from when I was building them, but start with the almost finished product pictures.

post-25964-1381951382087_thumb.jpg

I appreciate the compliments. I'm very happy with the way they turned out. As is even with using alk crossovers they sound phenomenal. I have owned just about every klipsch home speaker and there is no comparison these sound that much better. The lascalas I have for sale where paired with a pair of jtr growlers for midbass impact and the dbb's are everything that combination was in one package. In the process of settling on the midrange driver to be used I had 4 different sets of drivers in house. The jbl 2485's, jbl 2446's with 2450 sl diaphragms, jbl 2441's and lastly a pair of ev dh1a's I bought from a forum member. I tried all of them on the fc 260 wooden horn and in the end the 2485's won out for midrange duty. They have a smoothness to them that all the other drivers except maybe the 2441 lacked. Both of the titanium diaphragm drivers sounded edgy. The 2441 was almost as good as the 2485 but with the crossover point at 400hz I could hear it lost steam in the low end compared to the 2485. Others may disagree but it is now my favorite midrange driver to bad it isn't a little lighter. I worked on the project for about 3 months from start to finish a little here and there when I had time.

Nice work.

Can wee see a pic with the grill off the bass bin?

I rescribbled up a new plan that used triangular ports and tuned the cabinet a little differently. It just so happens that the internal volume of the dbb's are a perfect match for the Kappalite 3015LF. The tuning point can go a little lower with the available cabinet size and those drivers "spec" flat down to almost 40Hz. These woofers are nice and have an Xmax of over 9mm. I have a pair in some horn subs.

jc

To start off I just cut out the peices I needed then tacked, glued, and clamped them in to place. After that I went through and put all the braces on the inside with screws attaching all the peices. Here is a picture taken after the glue had dried before I went through and added the internal braces.

post-25964-13819524686008_thumb.jpg

Looks good! I'll have to put those pics up on my website.

Greg

Greg,

I have to thank you on the fc260's as they are a wonderful horn. Anyone on the fence on ordering a pair shouldn't be. The price Greg is selling them coupled with the fit and finish make them a bargain in my book. As most know Greg does excellent work some of the best I have ever seen and when I first started veneering a few years back he was more than kind enough to answer all my questions I had on the process of veneering. Greg I would be honored if you used the pictures on your site to help promote your product.

Nice work.

Can wee see a pic with the grill off the bass bin?

I rescribbled up a new plan that used triangular ports and tuned the cabinet a little differently. It just so happens that the internal volume of the dbb's are a perfect match for the Kappalite 3015LF. The tuning point can go a little lower with the available cabinet size and those drivers "spec" flat down to almost 40Hz. These woofers are nice and have an Xmax of over 9mm. I have a pair in some horn subs.

jc

jc,

I will get some more pictures of the speakers up tonight after the kids go to bed. I'm very happy with how the project turned out as a whole. My plan is in the next couple of weeks to get the right equipment to take measurements. They will all have to be done inside as it is a little cold out at the moment. I took some measurements from 40 to 200 hertz in 10 decibel increments just using my radioshack spl meter with corrections applied it isn't the most accurate measurement but it will suffice for now. The drivers measured pretty flat with a nice peak from 60-80hertz and really where just barely down at 40. Below forty I apllied a steep low pass filter to protect the driver. I will say I listen to mostly rock and definetly prefer the bass from these over the lascala, cornwall, or k-horn.

justin