Need Help on Buying MacBook

Cody_Mack

It will just work, and well, it will definately last longer then the PC.

Do you have the statistics to back that up? We have had Macs come in DOA, had them require hardware replacements within the first six months, yadayada... Percentage wise, a much higher failure rate than the Dells, and IBMs. At the moment, I'm using my Windows 2000 box here at home. I haven't had to reformat in the 9 years I've had it. It runs 12 hours a day. I had to replace a power supply in it.

Just some friendly advice. If
she wants a MAC get her a MAC or no computer at all. If her mind is set
on that, a PC will not make her happy. I have seen this many times with
friends that have had their kids want ipods and the parents buy them
Zunes,Sansa etc...

Maybe she just needs to be educated... Wink

Really, I love the Macs, but economically, I can't get one. All my Adobe apps will run just as well on Windows as on OS X.

It sounds like she is educated :)

Does she need an older boyfriend with a spare Powerbook?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this does not qualify as a flame-war post...I have nothing against apple, but apples to oranges...find the best price on the macbook, buy her a $400 pc, invest the $1000 saved...then when the pc no longer meets her needs, she will be able to buy a pair of macbooks...or buy another $400 pc and learn a very valuable lesson about saving money. Again...nothing agains macs...they are fine computers, no doubt. I just don't see the value.

I know the Macbook is outrageously expensive but I like Apple's hardware for its simplistic and elegant design. Plus Mac OS X is pretty rock solid since it is a variation of BSD (and now Free BSD). BSD Unix is considered the best OS bar none. Every OS exists today contained the BSD network stack. I have a couple servers running on Free BSD for years without a single hickup or reboot.

I know the Macbook is outrageously expensive but I like Apple's hardware for its simplistic and elegant design.

My beef with the hardware which I think has gotten better in the most recent macbooks was the simplistic and elegant approach they took to making it retardedly difficult to replace broken drives etc.
There is no reason you should have to take the entire case apart just to get to the drive.

I think they have gotten better but I haven't had a chance to open one of the unibody's but I still think you have to remove the entire bottom panel which is about 8 or 12 screws. [:@]

-Josh

I had to pull a superdrive out of a 13.3" macbook...it was not fun. The drive also had no casing around it...so when my customer put in an 80mm cd, which the superdrive does not support as it is a slot load, it was floating around in the chassis against the motherboard...design at it's finest!

I have seen some PC notebook in which you have to do the same thing opening some 6 to 8 screws and removing the entire bottom panel to get access to hard drive and memory.

The Unibody MacBook has no screw to screw with. To replace the hard drive or memory, you just lift a single latch and remove the bottom panel (about one third size of the notebook). I think Steve learn from his mistake this time around. Though it does pose another problem which is making it easy for others to steal parts when you're having the notebook at work unattended.

My beef with the hardware which I think has gotten better in the most recent macbooks was the simplistic and elegant approach they took to making it retardedly difficult to replace broken drives etc.

There is no reason you should have to take the entire case apart just to get to the drive.

I think they have gotten better but I haven't had a chance to open one of the unibody's but I still think you have to remove the entire bottom panel which is about 8 or 12 screws. Angry

-Josh

The Unibody MacBook has no screw to screw with. To replace the hard drive or memory, you just lift a single latch and remove the bottom panel (about one third size of the notebook). I think Steve learn from his mistake this time around.

Yup, the newer ones are much better. The machined aluminum body is also very sturdy.

I am more impressed with the OS. I find it very elegant (in a good way). Windows 7 is a great improvement on the Windows side. Since I have had little interaction with a Vista PC... I find version 7 to be pretty nice. XP is/was so stable. If 7 can compete with that, it will be a winner.

We really ask the OS to do a LOT, and it is all magic in some sense. I am happy with either one of them.

Bruce

I have seen some PC notebook in which you have to do the same thing opening some 6 to 8 screws and removing the entire bottom panel to get access to hard drive and memory.

The Unibody MacBook has no screw to screw with. To replace the hard drive or memory, you just lift a single latch and remove the bottom panel (about one third size of the notebook). I think Steve learn from his mistake this time around. Though it does pose another problem which is making it easy for others to steal parts when you're having the notebook at work unattended.

I think they have gotten better but I haven't had a chance to open one of the unibody's but I still think you have to remove the entire bottom panel which is about 8 or 12 screws. Angry

-Josh

ORLY?

post-10623-13819525446088_thumb.jpg

I almost took a pic of the bottom of one of the newer Macbooks, today. Youlift up one tab, and a cover lifts off, about one third of the bottom. From there you have the battery on your right and the hard drive on the left. Much nicer than the ones Josh took apart before, like the one the girl let fall into the bathtub.

Bruce

Hmm,

I think steve really is out to get me.

I just looked at the manuals on apple's website and the late 2008 Aluminum models are the ones that show the lever action bottom.

The 2009 models all show the remove 8 screws and take off the entire bottom method.

I would imagine that it makes the overall body more stable.

-Josh

I see we are talking about two different things.

Actually, no, they are the macbook pro models, but the newer ones. The 17 inchers are different. The battery just lifts out, and you can see the mylar tab...

Bruce.

ps- neo beat me to it, and I was distracted for a while...

I haven't seen the newer ones to know, but there are screws to remove the rest of the bottom cover.

post-7149-13819525492298_thumb.jpg