Forte II purchase - Wooo!

Rivernuggets

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

You got a very nice pair, River! How much did you pay for them? Your pair look just like mine. I wonder what is the main difference between the Forte I and Forte II.

The forte l has a different midrange horn and a 12" woofer and a 12" passive radiator , compared to a 12" w and 15" passive on the ll model.

Thanks Wuzzzer.

You got a very nice pair, River! How much did you pay for them? Your pair look just like mine. I wonder what is the main difference between the Forte I and Forte II.

Some may gasp at the price I paid, but I've watched many sets go on by. These looked so good and the seller had good feedback, I decided to go for it. Keep in mind shipping was included, and the Forte II's came with a KV-3 center channel also in oak oil. Purchased on Ebay, $700.

Even with a center channel, I am not sure I want to paid $700 for them. I paid $800 for my La Scalas (over a year ago) which, IMO, is superior to the Forte II.

Some may gasp at the price I paid, but I've watched many sets go on by. These looked so good and the seller had good feedback, I decided to go for it. Keep in mind shipping was included, and the Forte II's came with a KV-3 center channel also in oak oil. Purchased on Ebay, $700.

• Moderators

Actually dtel its the Quartet that has the 10" front and 12" rear woofer - the Forte I has a 12" front and 12" rear.

Your right, I was going from memory, I can't take the grills off my rear L+R and I haven't seen them in a while, thanks. [Y] I will go change it I don't want to give out wrong info.

So the forte 1 has a 12" radiator? My pair of II's have 15"....

Yes the Forte "I" has a 12" passive and an exponential horn, while the Forte II has a Tractrix horn (a more square-ish opening than the exponential horn) and a 15" passive. I have both, and with music/movies I certainly cannot tell a difference in the sound. Maybe I could with some type of test tones.

OP: with the buzzing passive radiator, first see if all mounting screws are tight. If they are, then try to touch it in different places to see if one area is the source. Then see if there is a tear or split in the cone or surround. If so, it can be repaired with white glue and tissue paper.

I've listened to both at length and prefer the F1 to the F2, but I'm a big fan of both. The F1 was always able to image more preciesly for me (better than virtually any other larger speaker I've heard). The tradeoff is it sounds more significantly different outside a relatively narrow sweet spot where the F2's mid seems to cast a wider net.

The F2 seemed more forgiving of being run with a lower current, less powerful amp. The cheap receivers I've tried out leave my F1's thin, with a vague image and nasty, siblant treble. The F2 obviously sounds much better with a good amplifier, but it doesn't punish you as badly for a poor one. Both seem to be equaly bad at 'glossing over' poor source material...the Klipsch way.

Bottom end was comparable for me out of both - the 15 didn't seem to add any range down low. Seems to me the 12 is capable of higher excursion, so the two might be matched in terms of overall displacement but would likely leave the larger driver better able to 'room match'. As I've mentioned before, I had to pull mine over a foot from the wall behind before the response evened out. Close to a wall, or in a corner, and I would have pockets of crushing bass other places in the house, and thin, bassless response where I wanted to listen.

The F2 had a magnetic grille, whcih I see as superior to the peg/rubber rig the F1 has. Finish on both was extremely nice, very high quality.

Long story short, I kept the one I liked better but they're both a hell of a speaker. Give em some juice, spend some time tinkering with the placement and you won't find much better, anywhere. My opinion anyway - my favorite Klipsch.

Even with a center channel, I am not sure I want to paid $700 for them. I paid $800 for my La Scalas (over a year ago) which, IMO, is superior to the Forte II.

I hear ya, neo. It was a pricey decision. Had I been more patient, there would have been a better deal somewhere down the road (at least local). I was on the fence thinking for a few days. It was one of those obsessions - wasn't going to let another set go by. I like the look of oak and walnut, so that pushed me over the edge. La Scalas for $800, huh? Maybe those will be next up for listening.......it never ends does it? LOL!

Well, at least it's better then heroin addiction Big Smile.

it never ends does it? LOL!

That is crazy timing you compare speakers with heroin. I was talking to a friend yesterday on how I was thining of trying tube amplification and he said, "if you're going into tubes, there's another thing you might be interested in....heroin". If I get into tubes like I have Klipsch speakers, that's one bottomless money pit! with great sound. HAH!