what speakers match phase linear drs 400 and drs 900

leohd

I would suggest that rather than say "which speaker can handle that power" (which is easy... get a set of MCM stacks! [6])

Perhaps a more practical way to approach it is, first go listen to various speakers. If you find something that really hits you with "omg, that's the sound I've been looking for" then get those speakers (or their larger brothers, just to be sure!) and then worry about what amp you need to match those speakers.

in other words, worry about the speaker first and electronics second.

• Moderators

I laugh every time I read "Flame Linear" and think of some stories that go along with the amps that gave it that name.[:D]

Klipsch are very efficient, like Coytee said you will have to go up to something Commercial to handle that kind of power, and then they will still part you hair at 100' !

To give you and idea what I am talking about I use some MWM's with the K402 horn, inside the house. Both are Commercial and with those speakers they will roughly will play 108 DB of sound and that takes up about ONE whole watt to do that !

Coytee has something similar in his home ( in the woods) and he has a reputation of scaring off animals for miles around with the volume he can reach and still have it sound clear and undistorted. He likes a little volume from what I hear. [;)]

I never set my Flame Linear 400 on fire but I shut down a Phase 700 playing a set of stacked Infinity Columns. We were in the back room and a guy comes in and says to turn it down a bit, I'm in the front of the store and I can't hear what my customers are saying! Hey we were just seeing what it would do.

Thanx, Russ

I don't have any experience with the drs series of Phase Linear amps, but, my series one 400 works well with my ESS Heil AMT1B's.

I have read here that the amp is not a good match with horns, and my experience with the amp and my Belle's appears to be evidence of that.

Although it is not a terrible matchup, it certainly does not sound as good as the AMT1B's do in combination with the 400.

Tom

If you are using _any_ speakers with old Phase Linears, you better have appropriately sized fuses between the amp and speakers. Their reputation as speaker killers is well-deserved.

Their reputation as ear killers is even better established.

Best used for lighting 500w floodlight bulbs as they did at an electronics show when they were new.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

well thanks for all the advice and flames on flame linear, seems like most of the bashers are younger then my phase linear amps.guess I'll check into mcm stacks since heresy's are rated to only handle 100 watts a channel not 450watts like my phase linear drs900 throws out..flame on, well checked into the mcm stacks and think I would need a bigger house

I'm trying to understand here...your PL amps are clipping on the KGs? I might be missing something here, but that seems unlikely, or awfully tough to do without launching your KGs into orbit.

I had PL and & preamp running Klipschorn back in the day. The sound was SO MUCH better with the Paragon E (Mark Drennan's old company) and Marantz 8b combo.

seems like most of the bashers are younger then my phase linear amps

That could be true, I guess, but I'm 55 and I had a Phase 400 sometime in the mid 70s. Hey, by they way I liked my Phase 400 but it is a bit grainy and it's just not a good match with horns, although maybe with a smooth sounding tube pre-amp you could get it to work. Try it and see.

Thanx, Russ