Removing Glue.

clermontcop

I have a pair of decorator Heresy's I received for christmas, the problem im having is that the cabinets have a raw finish to them, the previous owner had custom grills made and attached the grills by means of velcro. It looks as if the velcro was applied to the front of the cabinet with some type of glue. The cabinets are 31 years old and this glue is just not coming off. The only product I have tried is Goo Gone and that did absolutely nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

post-34995-1381952580306_thumb.jpg

Heat sometimes works in allowing the glue to be removed. Try a hair dryer on low....warm the glue and try to roll it off with you fingers. If you are comfortable with a sharp chisel, the glue can be removed that way sometimes. There may be some residue color left in the wood.

Solvents like Acetone or Denatured Alcohol sometimes work, but they also break down the finish underneath so it's hard to recommend one.

Tip I found..............

Removing glue from wooden surfaces can sometimes be accomplished with warm vinegar. Moisten a cloth with warm vinegar, and after some compression, try rubbing away the glue. Be cautious when scraping glue from wood if you are concerned with damaging the surface finish.

I do not want to ruin the finish at any cost. The lighter fluid option may work, but with the finish being raw, I am very hesitant on trying that. There has to be something that can take this glue off the wood. What I am finding with most of the products in your local hardware store is that they contain petroleum distillates, something about that makes me cringe when I think of putting that into the wood of the cabinet. The quest continues.

Just as an interesting side note and from experience. If the glue was any good at all it has penatrated the wood or veneer. If you have ever noticed, if you have been a little sloppy and gotten glue where you don't want it, no matter how you try to remove, you will see where the glue has discolored the wood itself. Depending how good the glue was, sometimes as a little sanding is required or a lot of sanding.

I understand your situation, but in all honesty, I'm not sure there is a solution.

If you do find the solution please let me know.

CigarBum

I will CigarBum, I think at this point it appears that the glue has penetrated into the wood. Im very happy to have these beautiful Heresy's but in the same token it really bothers the heck out of me knowing the glue is there. Im thinking of just putting the grills on it for now so I dont see it anymore.

You have some wonderful speakers, enjoy them.

These are my newest, they used to be Cornscalas but you know in our search we have to do better, and I will be making changes in the next few weeks to these, 260HZ (12x24 wooden horn with JBL 2482) and JBL 2404 tweeter, I just wonder how they will sound.

post-32367-13819525830298_thumb.jpg

You have some wonderful speakers, enjoy them.

These are my newest, they used to be Cornscalas but you know in our search we have to do better, and I will be making changes in the next few weeks to these, 260HZ (12x24 wooden horn with JBL 2482) and JBL 2404 tweeter, I just wonder how they will sound.

Bob,

Glad to see your dbb's come out of the closet. [H]

tc

It depends on the type of glue but heat is good at softening water-based glue (like Elmer's) and a plastic putty knife will come in handy. If that isn't enough, go the chemical route and don't worry about the lighter fluid (naphtha) as it will evaporate and wont leave any residue on the wood. If that doesn't do it (and it probably wont), try mineral spirits which is a stronger distillate. Acetone (nail polish remover) should be a last resort as its powerful stuff but if the wood is truly unfinished, it wont leave a residue. The acetone will dissolve any finish along with the glue so take care to test an area first, isolate the glued spot with tape and cotton, work fast with a cotton ball or Q-Tip followed by a light sanding. Have fun.

• 4 weeks later...