Vinyl Spinning Again

jtkinney

With the week off from work and the wife away, I have been getting some of MY backburner projects moved to the front for a change. One of those was seeing if I could get the old Dual 1249 spinning again. The last time it saw the light of day, after we moved to FL 4 years ago, it was dead, no lights no hum, nothing. So this morning I dug it out of the closet and plugged it in, still nothing (it was worth a try). Twenty minutes of troubleshooting and a little drilling and soldering, the broken terminal in the splice block is fixed and it's spinning and humming (sometimes rather loudly) again. It for sure needs a new belt, but I'm using it as is for now until I can order a new one. I also thought the V15-III needed a new stylus, but fortunately my memory was off on that one, it works fine.

So now it's hooked up and playing albums that haven't been listened to since I got married almost 20 years ago. Started with Mason Williams - Hand Made, a great acoustic recording. MIami Sound Machine - Primitive Love, a nice demo album, really works the squawkers. Scandal - Warrior, great vocals by Patty Smyth. Charlie Daniels Band - Million Mile Reflection. Laura Branigan, more great vocals. Now listening to Sheena Easton.

It's a trip to see and listen to my collection from 20-30 years ago, it's way more eclectic than I remembered. I can also show it off to the kids when they get home tonight, they've never seen or listened to a record. Spinning vinyl, what a concept.

Have a great holiday season.

A couple weeks back I pulled out my KS Musicmaster "Point One Five" idler drive TT with Velvet Touch tonearm. (Grace copy)

It was after a year Hiatus. It's a old cast deck with a aluminum platter. It's a rather simple design, 3-speed, with a eddy brake type pitch control. The tonearm is 9", and a beast.

But the turntable has this organic sound quality, with really good dynamics. The pitch control is awesome. Once you set it, it stays there. All the other TT's I've had, (not many and cheap) always seem to have pitch control issues.

It isn't a perfectly quiet turntable, and neither are records. But it's quiet enough to really enjoy it. I ordered another cart/stylus and some silicone fluid for the unipivot.

The TT really sings on the old early sixties stereo recordings.

post-6643-1381952590103_thumb.jpg

Oh Man! That's great that you guys are spinning vinyl again. What a kick!

Jim, those albums are a "Blast from the past"! Great stuff. Kinda fun pulling out the old records and spinning them again, a trip down memory lane.

Also great to hear that the "kids" are going to see a record player and albums for the first time. Very Cool! [H]

Now, both of you guys need to go to the "record" store and buy yourself a "NEW" album. It will start something that you will not be able to stop. Vinyl addiction! LOL (I have about 3000 albums)

Thanks for sharing your stories. If you have TT questions, ask away. A lot of us are spinning vinyl still/again!

Dennie

I might be one of the younger forum members and as we all live in the "digital" world most people my age do not have a clue how good vinyl sounds and almost non of them understand why I listen and buy as much vinyl as I can. My parents even say stuff like "I hate the pops" etc,etc,etc.

Durring the Thanksgiving holiday my father said "damn son...I forgot how good vinyl sounds"

Im glad there are people like us who appreciate this stuff.

jtkinney, nice job on troubleshooting that turntable and firing it up for the kids.

A couple weeks back I pulled out my KS Musicmaster "Point One Five" idler drive TT with Velvet Touch tonearm. (Grace copy)

It was after a year Hiatus. It's a old cast deck with a aluminum platter. It's a rather simple design, 3-speed, with a eddy brake type pitch control. The tonearm is 9", and a beast.

But the turntable has this organic sound quality, with really good dynamics. The pitch control is awesome. Once you set it, it stays there. All the other TT's I've had, (not many and cheap) always seem to have pitch control issues.

It isn't a perfectly quiet turntable, and neither are records. But it's quiet enough to really enjoy it. I ordered another cart/stylus and some silicone fluid for the unipivot.

The TT really sings on the old early sixties stereo recordings.

Mike that is a coool turntable. Is that a gray tonearm?

I might be one of the younger forum members and as we all live in the "digital" world most people my age do not have a clue how good vinyl sounds and almost non of them understand why I listen and buy as much vinyl as I can. My parents even say stuff like "I hate the pops" etc,etc,etc.

Durring the Thanksgiving holiday my father said "*** son...I forgot how good vinyl sounds"

Im glad there are people like us who appreciate this stuff.

jtkinney, nice job on troubleshooting that turntable and firing it up for the kids.

Then you need to get down to Randy's Records.

Here in Las Vegas I just acquired 850 records off of Craigslist and then I find out that one of the local record store locations is closing, so I just picked up about 30 albums yesterday and another 54 today.