Who here uses Heresy I, II or III without a sub?

Yukon Jackass

I don't like the idea of subwoofers. Wouldn't you need two of them? My little listening room can't fit one, much less two.

Anyone here have Heresies and DO NOT use a sub? Happy with what you have?

I will be using an older Onkyo receiver until I save up for an integrated tube amp - probably a Jolida 102 with EL 84 tubes, unless I can find a used Scott or, best case scenario, a Fisher 500!

It's finally happening - new Klipsch speakers! Damn, I deserve it.

Yes. H-I's, in corners, on top of K'horns in the man cave, but during the week by themselves via a Sansui AU-11000. No bass, no midrange, no treble; flat, with all tone controls off ("defeat" position). Now...... that being said, the H-I's are properly sealed, K-28 woofers (H-III's), E/4500 crossovers, D-250X's for midranges, and Crites CT-125 tweeters. Had many a folk here listen to them. In all instances, they dropped the jaw and basically said..... "No way!!!".... Yes way.... I like bass, but not more than the original "program source" intended. Do they "stack up" to the K'horns (or the Belles)? They are good, but not that good. Key thing is sealing the backs and making sure they are properly positioned in the room. Do I use Heresy's in the HT arena where the depth charge scene with U-571 becomes a key point in the A/V "experience"? Nope, not what they were intended for. For that I use Cornwalls x 6.... but no sub woofer. The Cornwalls do just fine.... nd I use an Onkyo for that purpose [H]

:raises hand:

Much of bass is monaural since at the long wavelengths you can't discern direction because the phase differences between your ears are below our hearing resolution. I've heard that it can be tricky to set up multiple subs to get a flat FR.

• Like 1

Groomlake is not kidding. As I sit here using his wirless internet connection, I am listing to his Heresy Extreems. It is in my opinion that if you use the Heresy there is no reason that one should need a "sub". The sound fine, and the bass is spot on, not overwhelming, but no too low, rather just right and balanced for what one may be listening to at the time.

I have heard the HIII's described as "Awesome little thumpers".

From what I have read; these have alot more bass response than my HI's. I suspect you will be just fine without a sub......[H]

No mods necessary, unless you consider upgrading to even bigger speakers a mod...... (Bring on the Cornwalls or LaScalas!!!!!) [:P]

Also, as I am learning, placement is important. I just spread mine to about 6 feet apart( were about 3 1/2 feet apart), slightly tilted up, as close to the wall as I can, and angled slightly toward the center...... Holy Cr*p; a big difference..... I had the sub volume down all the way and had to double check!

Is this the best positioning? Is there an even better method to try? (I get each space is unique and you must find through trial and error; the best positioning).

Thanks.....

I use HI's without a sub. Mine are '84's with woofers from the HII's(they came from the factory like that during the transition over to the HII's) and new caps bought from BEC. I sealed the backs with weatherstripping and have all the bass I need, That being said, I mainly use them for 2 channel music with limited use for HT. I have hardwood floors and they're tilted up slightly. Running a Sansui G-8000. I have thought about a sub while watching movies, but for music, I'm a very happy camper.

I run a pair of H3's in my bedroom. They're on the floor, in the corners to maximize boundary gain for the low end. A sub would definitely help and I'm currently saving up for one. They're bottom end is tight and accurate but not very deep. It's an improvement from the H1's and H2's for sure, but lacking when comparing it to a larger, more capable speaker.

Bedrooms sure are "bass black holes"!!! LOLOL!!!!

All joking aside, my bedroom is one of the best listening environments in my house. It's one of those rooms where a speaker sounds it's best. My living room is just the opposite. I really had to work the room and speaker placement to get what I felt was good sound from it.

I have Heresy II's with no sub. Use about 22 watts with Scott tubes and am very happy with the bass - surprising how much is actually there. They on the main floor. Bass is much better there than it was in the basement (carpet over concrete). I also use the stands that Klipsch built for them (little angled ones).