Klipsch with Rotel Power

Bum

Has anyone ever paired a Rotel amp with Klipsch Heritage speakers? I picked up a lightly used Rotel RA 1070 integrated amp today for a real reasonable price, its a 100 watt per channel integrated amp.

Looking to use it to power my Heresy's or Cornwalls, but havent been able to hook it up yet. Anyone with thoughts on what to expect?

Bum

I am using a Rotel RA-870BX integrated with a pair of KP301. My Klipsch may not be true "vintage", but they are very close. The KP301 is an industrial version of the Chorus. It is also very similar to the Cornwall. I am using the Rotel amp section to drive the horn stack and a QSC CX1202V to drive the woofers in a biamplified configuration with the Rotel's preamp output split into both of the amplifiers. I really like the way the Rotel amplifier performs with the top end of the Klipsch. The preamp section is very nice, too. I can defeat the tone controls and can also run the cd input direct. I haven't really checked out the turntable input section as well as I should - my cousin is using my turntable. The Rotel's tone controls are very subtle. When I have them defeated, the Rotel has a very nice, warmish tone. If I run the source direct, the Rotel is very flat and clinical. I prefer to use the tone controls in the loop, with a slight enhancement on the bass. Actually, even with the bass control wide open, the boost is very controlled - adequate to bring up the bottom end without getting boomy or too exaggerated

I am very pleased with the Rotel's sound paired with the Klipsch. I am also impressed by the build quality of this product. I can't say I have compared other amplifiers, but I will be swapping out some in the future.

Back in the "day" (late 70's I believe) Rotel made it's debut agains the "big boys" (Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, etc.) of the "Japanese Invasion". It was somewhat obscure and few folks purchased them. Specs were great, it was just that Rotel was a newcomer and had problems "breaking into" the niche. I tested one against my Sansui's (I don't recall the model) and had no problems or complaints. It's sound was pretty good, but not as good as the Sansui AU-919's that I had at that time. But for the price... not a bad way to make some tunes.

Here's a link to a review of the RA-1060 (next one down in power from the RA-1070 that Bum has)

I am running a rx-402(which I only bought cause my area code was 402, just kidding) it is a older model that was made in Tokyo. I think it has fairly warm sound. It is rated at 25 watts per channel, So I am using it mainly as a pre to my kenwood basic m2a. The tuner section is great, lately I have ran into a rfi issue that I think one of the main issues has to do with the antenna right by the input sections. Though I never had a rfi issue before at my old house I think the new one has something to do with it. All in all I think for the price of Rotel its not a bad gear company when stepping into higher end gear. I am interested in using their pre for surround some day. By the way I am running a pair of Cornwalls with mine.

duder

Bum, Congratulations on your Rotel purchase. I have the same integrated amp and it is a winner. I bought it to replace my Sony ES-500 Int amp, which had been giving me some heartache after many years of service. It is an extremely versatile amp with loads of power to spare. I have never had the volume attenuator past the 9 o'clock position, OK maybe once in awhile when the wife is not around.

I first ran a pair of Heresy II's off this amp and was pleased with that setup until I got the upgrade bug from this site, which by the way is contagious, especially in the Garage Sale section. [;)] I purchased a pair of Cornwall II's from a forum member and used them for the last 3 years with this amp. I could barely scratch the surface of the speakers, given their efficiency. In a small apartment, the Cornies were overwhelming. I recently switched to Forte I's, also from a forum member, and am pleased with the results. I am actually able to turn the volume up slightly and not be crushed sitiing on the couch around 8 feet from the speakers.

To sum up, the Rotel plays nicely with any Heritage or Extended Heritage speaker, it is a solidly built, high quality amp and Rotel deserves their reputation as a provider of good value at their price points. I bought mine as a demo model around 5 years ago and would not hesitate to purchase another Rotel product.

Here is a link to a rather glowing revue of the amp: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/rotel1070_e.html

I once ran a pair of KLF-20's with a Rotel RB-1080 amp.

Granted it was a fast amp but I have a very hard time listening to it at low volumes. It seamed that the sound didn't "come together" until the first 3/4-watt (measured with VOM). The bass just slacked off tremendously. And at that volume level it wasn't what I was after at the moment such as reading a book, the newspaper or entertaining company.

About a year later I coughed up enough money for a Mac MC-252.