cornwall vs rf-7?

drakeness

just sold my rf-83's. speakers were very good for ht but no soo hot for 2 ch. i'm looking to build a 60% music 40% ht. for music i listen to mostly metal. i'm looking for a speaker that can be ran in 2ch without a sub. which speaker would better suit my needs. for power i will be using solid state. my room is med/large. i need a speaker with solid kick-drug and good midbass. i listen to high spl at times.

Welcome to the forum, drakeness.

Imo, if you are not going to use a subwoofer, the Cornwalls would probably be a better choice for 2 channel, but with an appropriate sub it would be more of a toss up. Given the Cornwall is a 3 way design and in a larger cabinet, the midrange has been reported to be more precise, but if you also need to match these speakers for a Home Theater layout, the RF-7s would be easier to accommodate and match with other Reference products.

They're both going to rock your world but they will sound slightly different. I'm sure the Cornwalls will have a more refined midrange due to its 3 way design with midrange horn.

You might want to look into your amplification. Any speaker needs a lot of clean power to sound good at high volumes, especially since you're not using a subwoofer. Get a pair of RF-7s, have Dean mod the crossovers and get a good external amp. Or get a pair of Cornwalls and amp.

just sold my rf-83's. speakers were very good for ht but no soo hot for 2 ch. i'm looking to build a 60% music 40% ht. for music i listen to mostly metal. i'm looking for a speaker that can be ran in 2ch without a sub. which speaker would better suit my needs. for power i will be using solid state. my room is med/large. i need a speaker with solid kick-drug and good midbass. i listen to high spl at times.

Well maybe the rf-7's but they probably wont be a night and day diffrerence from your rf-83's. The Cornwalls are completely ruled out IMHO with your criteria.

Rotel makes a nice amp and their Class D designs get great reviews, not to mention the many happy digital amp owners here on the forum. Audiogon has a used Rotel RMB-1085 (100w x 5, Class D) for $750. Digital amps tend to sound more powerful than their specs and they compliment horns nicely. Of course Rotel makes some fine Class AB amps as well, RMB-1075 (100x5), RMB-1095 (200x5), RB-1080 (200x2)... all are excellent amps that are very tough to beat without spending much more... B&K amps also offer lots of value.

thanx for all the replies. i wasn't gonna not run a sub at all. a sub is manditory with ht. just with music i like the ability to go 2 ch. without a sub. ive noticed with a lot of speakers today they dont produce good bass. like their all designed to be played with a sub

what's a good ss amp to push the rf-7's that want kill your pocket? i tried the emotiva xpa-2 with my rf-83's. that amp sounded like arse. very sterile and lacked in bass.

Man, are you sure you had everything set up correctly? What were you using for a receiver/pre-amp? The XPA-2 is pretty much Emotiva's top of the line amp and even their UPA-2 which I had sounds incredible with my Fortes. Tons more bass than with using my Marantz receiver alone, much smoother top end.

Are you using a CD player/iPod,etc?

yeah

what's a good ss amp to push the rf-7's that want kill your pocket? i tried the emotiva xpa-2 with my rf-83's. that amp sounded like arse. very sterile and lacked in bass.

Man, are you sure you had everything set up correctly? What were you using for a receiver/pre-amp? The XPA-2 is pretty much Emotiva's top of the line amp and even their UPA-2 which I had sounds incredible with my Fortes. Tons more bass than with using my Marantz receiver alone, much smoother top end.

i was using a marantz cd player. everything was set-up pretty good. maybe, i had a bad apple. i will say that amp never got hot hot, and looked pretty sharp. i had those rf-83's hooked to some pretty nice ss amps and they still sounded like arse for music. i dont see how people like those speakers

What kind of speakers were you listening to before you got the 83's?