Speakerlab Khorns pairing with Carver

bungles

I'm picking up a pair of Speakerlab Khorn clones on tues and I'm wondering if my current amps will pair well with them.

Eventually I want to get real Klipschhorns but for now these will have to do. Built in the late 70's. I'll be posting pictures and more info once I have them setup.

Amps are 2 Carver 1.0t's running in mono @ 1000w

I also have a Carver CT-7 Preamp.

One of the Carvers does have a hiss. I'm trying to identify if it's because I have the cables resting on the power cables and near the power strip or if the amp has that issue. The other does not have a hiss. It's funny the one that hiss's is the one that was serviced by carver and never used until i plugged it in last night. Would that hiss be noticeable while music is playing on the khorns if in fact it is the amp?

The Carver M1.0t (especially the later version that was bridgeable) is very nice sounding amplifier. I listened to this on K-Horns (a couple of hours) and also on Cornwalls (for a shorter time).

I think you will do well with this amp. The problem when you mention "Carver" is that folks lump all the Bob Carver Amps (or even ones he is not affiliated with) together. They are not all the same. The model mentioned above is a good one. It is also quite affordable.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Tom- I'm not being critical of the Carvers at all. I'm just pointing out that having those bridged so you have 1000 watts per side is overkill on a Khorn, and some amps are noisier at lower output levels.He will definitely have headroom...

Bruce

I didn't really know what I would need and this is my first dedicated amp. I've been using a marantz 2275 receiver for my kg4's and stuff. So would you say running the Carvers in stereo mode @ 200wpc would be better? I certainly don't want to destroy my speakers. I did some cable management and the hiss is still there. Gonna try getting some better shielded cables and once I get my speakers placed it might be better. They will be 10ft away from the amps.

Running them in a stereo mode would be better. Many bridgeable amps share a couple of concerns when running in a "bridge mode"; 1) the distortion may double and 2) the impedance of the load (speaker) presented to the amp decreases (half). I am not sure if the Carver M1.0t has this problem or not.

Don't worry about the speaker cable. Spend your time tweaking the speaker/listening chair placement and getting the cabinets snug into the corners. Then ....enjoy them!

Running them in a stereo mode would be better. Many bridgeable amps share a couple of concerns when running in a "bridge mode"; 1) the distortion may double and 2) the impedance of the load (speaker) presented to the amp decreases (half). I am not sure if the Carver M1.0t has this problem or not.

Don't worry about the speaker cable. Spend your time tweaking the speaker/listening chair placement and getting the cabinets snug into the corners. Then ....enjoy them!

I agree that you will have less distortion running them stereo and more than enough head room to drive the speakers properly. I can run my RF 7's with the small M200t's and not push the amp and have run them bridged and the difference in distortion wasn't noticable at my normal listening levels, but you have much stronger Carvers and don't have any need to push 1000 watts in those speakers IMO

I've had my Khorns about a year (factory-built) and started with a 30 wpc Nikko amp, that rocked them pretty well, then I went to a 90 wpc JVC amp, it was an improvement. The next amp was a 200 wpc Adcom 555 II, big improvement! So I figured if one was good why not try two. Now I have 2 Adcom's running mono at 600 wpc, depth and soundstage were transformed, even they are efficient, they will take some power and respond well. The biggest variable with these speakers is of course placement. Since my listening room has no corners, I had to build some to get the bass response.

I promised pictures :) Picked them up last night. Was a leave at 7am get home at 3am trip. I had a blast tho! got to see some amazing stuff.

Fitting everything in the van was kind of like trying to get 15 people into one phone booth. 5 sets of speakers. the speakerlab khorns, kg-4's, kg-2's, some vintage Cerwin Vegas, & kg-4.5's. 2 Receivers Marantz 4270 & 2230, HK cdp, a 32in crt tv lol, The Fister 400(really excited about this). The marantz's had to ride on my lap hah.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's some pics of them once I got everything in the garage. Sorry for the poor picture quality it was 3am. The Fisher needs a lot of TLC. I need all 7 brass knobs too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got them in the house and got them all cleaned up today :)

Posted Image

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9307/img1119y.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/903/img1118o.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/949/img1117k.jpg

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2356/img1116.jpg

and finally :)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3814/img1122c.jpg

still far from done but I'm having a blast listening to them.

Nope not married yet and luckily my girlfriend is enjoying the music :)

Its strange to me that it sounds like most of the wives of forum
members are not happy about "our" love of music, speakers and
equipment. My wife loves all of our stuff. She even told me to keep my
eyes open for a pair of Heresys so she could take them to work. (She
asked if she could take a La Scala...but, knew before she asked)