Ripping CDs and quality - Newbee

dad311

Those of you that rip CDs, what format do you use for ripping that will sound JUST LIKE THE CD? Ive purchased a new reciever and speakers and I dont feel like im doing my new setup justice by playing mp3 files. In the past lve always ripped for file size / quality. Now, Im more interest in pure quality.

thanks for any suggestions.

Welcome to the Forum dad311. If your MP3 player plays Vorbis files (.ogg files), those provide better sound quality than a file of the same size in MP3. Here's more info: Link. If you are indeed interested in better quality, consider using a cd or dvd player and enjoy uncompressed music. I know the random button won't be as cool, but the music will.

Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac) files are quite commonly supported on MP3 players also.

I'm using Exact Audio Copy to rip to WAV, and running MAREO as the external CODEC (which is configured to create both .flac and high bit rate .mp3 files.)

Google both those names and setup recipes are all over the place, especially on the MAREO site.

Those of you that rip CDs, what format do you use for ripping that will sound JUST LIKE THE CD? Ive purchased a new reciever and speakers and I dont feel like im doing my new setup justice by playing mp3 files. In the past lve always ripped for file size / quality. Now, Im more interest in pure quality.

thanks for any suggestions.

What computer are you using for ripping and playback - a Pc or Mac? That will have a big influence on the encoder you choose.

Are you sending analog or digital from the computer to the receiver? Also do you use a separate DAC or do you have a high quality soundcard in the computer? Typically taking the computers original analog out to a receiver will not give as good of sound quality as a decent CD player.

Rod

Well Im not using a PC or MAC. Last year I built a Mythtv box to hold all my Vidoes, Music and Photos and everything was fine until last week until my wallet opened up at the audio store.

With all the tips I recieved in the thread, Ive reseached FLAC and it looks like the direction I need to go. Using the FLAC codec with Linux I have lots of options for ripping to a Lossless format.

Im glad you ask about my audio card. Im using the digital audio out (Tos-link) from the system motherboard. Are there high quality audio cards for digital out? If so what make the difference?

thx

If Flac will work well on your system it's a great way to go. We have all of our music in FLAC. You will find some purists that claim they can hear a difference between FLAC and WAV, but most believe you can't.

I can't help you with a digital out card that will work in your Linux box, in fact don't even know if the cards are OS specific. We are using an EMU-0404USB external DAC. It does 192/24 over USB 2.0 using proprietary USB drivers done by EMU. But I have a hunch it will only work on Windows machines. There are some folks on the Audio Asylum, Computer Audio Asylum section that are using Linux boxes.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Rod

The best audio extraction software is a program called EAC which stands for "Exact Audio Copy" it will rip a CD at 99.999% accuracy. This is achieved because the program will compensate for reading errors in the CD Drive. It will then compress the sound file in any format you like. I would recommend Apple Lossless or FLAC (which is rapidly becoming an audiophile favorite) or leave it as a WAV file. I use iTunes and have been happy with Apple Lossless codec which is not much different to FLAC. EAC is considered to be the most accurate ripping software available and it is free. Just go to http://www.exactaudiocopy.de to learn about it.

I recently built a new HTPC with the primary concern being music. I am using Linux as the OS with XBMC as the media player. I will add another vote for FLAC. It's non-proprietary and lossless. I had a lot of issues finding a good quality sound card that worked well in Linux without using JACK. However, I am using the analog out not the digital out. There are a lot of great quality firewire sound cards as well as USB sound cards that do a great job. Unfortunately, most of them have aweful Linux support. The USB EMU-404 being a good example. It is a great card (less the headphone amp) but with terrible linux support. I saw the same issue with a lot of the M-Audio solutions. The externel M-Audio Audiophile 2496 being an example. I finally settled on a Asus Xonar Essence STX. It has a superb analog section and the C-Media based chipset has pretty good Linux support in the latest readily available Kernels as well as ALSA. The main negative with the Xonar is the lack of Hardware mixing.

I spent a few month digging for info before I finally settled on this decision. I am also under the impression that for the most part.... all digital outs are equal. I know that some cards support on the fly DTS encoding and some do not. Past that, I don't think there is much to compare other than digital formats that are supported.... which I think is pretty comparable for most all sound cards. The obvious limitation is bitstreaming which is only available over HDMI. The newer AMD Video cards support bitstreaming through a built in audio chip.... but only in Windows.

Hopefully you get something useful out of this.

Daniel

I love my Mythtv. Mythtv holds all my music, photos and ripped DVDs/BLU-RAYs. Ive recently added a HDTV tunner and now its also a full featured dual tuner PVR. Mythtv will also play just about any format MP3,WMA,AVI,MP4,MVK,OGG,etc.

Im now starting to regret ripping all my music to MP3s. I might spend a few weeks re-ripping to FLAC.