KW-120 THX Subwoofer with RF-83?

hart11b

I stopped by a dealer while I was out of town for business and I was offered two KW-120 THX subs and the KA-1000 Amp for $2000. The subs are demo models and the amp is new in the box.

My questions are: Is this a good price for this setup? My room is pretty big and I think I'll need two subs. Also, will these subs work well with my RF-83s?

I was thinking about a demo model RT-12D that I found for $1199 or possibly an SVS sub, but I haven't made my mind up yet. These subs sounded pretty good, but the room was setup for home theater.

Thoughts or advice?

BTW, 50% music, 50% movies and TV.

• Moderators

I am not sure but I think it's a very good deal.

I have heard and felt those subs, sitting about 8' away it blew a napkin off my lap, I looked up thinking it was the ceiling vent only to find out it was the sub ! This was at Michael Colters home, DrWho was sitting next to me and was laughing, we were watching a Pink Floyd DVD.

I also heard them at Rogers home, they were used with an all split LaScala HT ! They had no problem keeping up with the LaScala's and during a gunshot scene in the movie Open Range it felt like you were hit in the chest.

I know they can keep up with RF-83's for sure, I have not heard the RT-12d so no comment.

I have heard and felt those subs, sitting about 8' away it blew a napkin off my lap...

That is pretty impressive, thanks for the opinion. I'm thinking that they are a pretty good deal and I get the entire warranty as well, which is nice.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but am unsure at this point. That money could be used for some other things that the old lady would like to have...like bedroom furniture.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but am unsure at this point. That money could be used for some other things that the old lady would like to have...like bedroom furniture.

Tell her they also double as end tables. Stick out tongue

Brilliant...I'll convince her we're saving money.

• Moderators

Also if you sit on them just right with just the right music..............wait I better stop I don't want you or your wife mad at me. [:o]

Just trying to sell the wife on the idea........[;)]

Sorry I am just not right. [:$]

I am not sure but I think it's a very good deal.

I have heard and felt those subs, sitting about 8' away it blew a napkin off my lap, I looked up thinking it was the ceiling vent only to find out it was the sub ! This was at Michael Colters home, DrWho was sitting next to me and was laughing, we were watching a Pink Floyd DVD.

I also heard them at Rogers home, they were used with an all split LaScala HT ! They had no problem keeping up with the LaScala's and during a gunshot scene in the movie Open Range it felt like you were hit in the chest.

I know they can keep up with RF-83's for sure, I have not heard the RT-12d so no comment.

3 LS up front with 2 BK in the rear at Klipsch in Indy and those subs
cleared the front row out on the depth charges in U571. At $2K for
the set I'd be all over it.

$2K is a killer deal, which you probably won't ever come across again. The subs are extremely good sonically, and will dish out almost any level of deep, deep bass, although they won't do to 14 Hz, if that's what you are after. Individually they are much smaller than a single monolithic SVS or other single subs of equivalent muscle, which means less visual impact (WAF), and the two separate cabinets means more flexibility in location. Keep in mind they use the Neutrik Speakon connectors and 1/2" diameter black cables, which are larger than standard cables/connectors. I say, unequivocally, go for it!

• Moderators

Just trying to sell the wife on the idea........Wink

Sorry I am just not right. Embarrassed

I was just coming back here to make sure you never got upset at what I said. [:D]

I had heard many say there sub would move there pants leg and other things like that and I kind of doubted it when I would read that. I was surprised when it happened to me, the ports were pointing to the sofa at Michaels and with some notes played on the organ on the Pink Floyd DVD you could feel a breeze. The sound was not boomy and sounded natural, it was the best subs I have heard, if it were not for the price I would get a pair.

Keep in mind they use the Neutrik Speakon connectors and 1/2" diameter black cables, which are larger than standard cables/connectors.

Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that I cannot use a standard sub cable? Will I have to run new wires in the walls?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Keep in mind they use the Neutrik Speakon connectors and 1/2" diameter black cables, which are larger than standard cables/connectors.

Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that I cannot use a standard sub cable? Will I have to run new wires in the walls?

No, it refers to the cables that connect the KA-1000 sub amp to the two KW-120 woofer cabinets. You can run them anywhere you like, but likely just along the floor somewhere. They are about the diameter of large appliance power cords, and the Speakon connector at each end is about the size of your thumb. The sub amp takes a standard RCA connector from your receiver.

No, it refers to the cables that connect the KA-1000 sub amp to the two KW-120 woofer cabinets. You can run them anywhere you like, but likely just along the floor somewhere. They are about the diameter of large appliance power cords, and the Speakon connector at each end is about the size of your thumb. The sub amp takes a standard RCA connector from your receiver.

My audio rack is not colocated with any speakers including the subwoofer. I've got a sub cable and all speaker wire running in the walls to present a very clean appearance. So, it looks like I will have to run new wire through the wall to connect the amp to the subs. Any idea on cost of this new wire? I guess I'll need about a 30' and 50' piece.

I would pose this to Klipsch tech service, such as Trey Cannon, on this forum, for specific details. The large cables are to meet certain standards, maybe THX, meaning that huge amounts of power can be sent to the subs when playing at THX levels.. In normal use, the cables may be overkill. Speakon connectors (which are the only type of connection between the amp and sub cabinets), are solderless. I have taken them apart, and while not easy-easy, anyone with a small screwdriver and needlenose pliers can do it. Thus, you can run other types of speaker wire, e.g., 10 or 12 gauge, through your walls, but they will have to end in the Speakon connectors.