La Scala 1"

Carbon_66

I see it's too late. Adding material to the doghouse changes the expansion rate of the bass horn and surely changes its sound. Adding it to the outside of the bass horn can only help.

It's probably no more change in expansion than the braces people put in between the dog house and the sides.

Guest David H

The top section has been sanded to 320, as it will be painted black.

Nice work, are you going piano gloss black?

I see you are veneering as well, cant wait to see the finished product.

Nice work. I really like the tire and strap clamp. Do you think the brads would supply enough clamping preasure on their own? I was thinking that the clamping after the brads would have a limited impact because the brads will also limit further compression of the glue joint? What do you think?

I am watching your approach and waiting for a review how the result sounds. Have you considered a ported bass extention on the bottom? I think I will add a ported section in my upcoming lascala project.

Thanks. I think the brads do a pretty good job on their own. I use more glue than necessary, but I want intimate contact between the 1/4" and the original cabinet. The table saw is dead flat and I spread the load with multiple layers of mdf. I did get a little more squeeze out of glue, but not much.

I'm actually looking at doing the ported extension. If I go that direction, I will probably do it through the top with a slot or 2 triangles.

I see it's too late. Adding material to the doghouse changes the expansion rate of the bass horn and surely changes its sound. Adding it to the outside of the bass horn can only help.

I'm already one step ahead of you. I have made all necessary calculations and have concluded that a 16oz can of pork and beans have the exact same volume as I have added. I will hot glue this into the bass bin. Thanks for lookin' out.

The top section has been sanded to 320, as it will be painted black.

Nice work, are you going piano gloss black?

I see you are veneering as well, cant wait to see the finished product.

Semi gloss or flat. This area is going to have a grill. The reason I went 320 there is because it would be harder to sand this area later.

I have one 4x10 sheet of mahogany that I bought for my Cornscala build that will be used for these and another on the way. I can't wait until the veneering but I have to finish both cabinets before I start.

Great thread!

Both budget and choices are keeping ,from finishing the split LSI's, but if I go with your method, at least I have step by step instructions now!

Of course, I will use ply not MDF, but that's just me.

Thanks, I think build threads are great. My original intention was to go with ply. I have an excellent source of materials. (Southern lumber in San Jose). The 1/4" birch ply was 3/16" with two 1/32" layers of birch on the outside, and not the best quality. They have Finish ply which is 1/16" layers laminated together but that would have been over $250 for 2 sheets plus the 1/2" I needed for the front.

This project requires a lot of sanding on the edges. The end grain of plywood sands at a slower rate than the face. It would be much more difficult getting a perfect 90 with the ply. Mdf sands almost the same in both directions, has no voids, is denser, and cheaper.

If I was building a cabinet from scratch, I would go with the Finish ply, no question.