modding Jolida CD

winchester21

Rolled a Telefunken 12AX7 into the line amp slot in the Quicksilver preamp and 2 Amperex Bugle Boys in the Jolida 100 CDP.

I love the Bugle Boys in the Jolida. I was running 5751s and the Bugle Boys seemed to open both the top and bottom ranges. You're going to get spoiled. Don't you just love trying to open the Jolida case? I finally gave up and left the screws out.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Frank. Those Bugle Boys sound mighty fine....hate to take them out to try others so they may stay for an extended listen. Yes those tiny phillips head screws are so small you have to use a very small screw driver but are in so tight I didn't have the leverage to break them free. Used a little WD-40. My plan is the 5751s following the BBs and then the Mullards and Telefunkens. No particular reason.

Hey Frank. Those Bugle Boys sound mighty fine....hate to take them out to try others so they may stay for an extended listen. Yes those tiny phillips head screws are so small you have to use a very small screw driver but are in so tight I didn't have the leverage to break them free. Used a little WD-40. My plan is the 5751s following the BBs and then the Mullards and Telefunkens. No particular reason.

Time to put up a deposit on some the tubes to get in line for some testing [:P]

Glad to see you are up and running. Yeah take your time or you'll just confuse yourself. I probably should have just sent you two or 3 pairs at a time. The JANs, and maybe, the Valvos, are NOS so let them run for at least 10 hours before you reach any conclusions regarding them. I've found that new tubes do break in and settle down and need some time to open up.

Hey Mike....as the reviewer of the VPI Scout turntable in Stereophile magazine said "Holy mother of crap". My sentiments exactly. I was wrong before when I said I never saw a need to change out the stock tubes in my Jolida. Now I see why. As Frank said it opens up the bottom and top ends. My 61 year old ears could hear the difference! Played Shangrila by Mark Knopfler..... track Back to Tupelo and was mesmerized. Stoked....you bet and this is just the first pair of tubes.

Marty I got the package when I got home from work and immediately opened up the preamp and CD. Couldn't wait to get started....and its only Tuesday!