Belles question, please advise. . .

sammyr

Are Belles without the serial number labels worth $1800, assuming all else is OK? I'm thinking of buying some from a Craigslist ad in a city two hours away from me. Seller says they are in very good shape, but no serial numbers. The ad contains the same picture of the same speaker twice, rather than a picture of each speaker. The front of the speaker looks good, but that's all that can be seen. I'm wondering at this point if they are worth $1800 and a two hour drive. Thanks.

Are Belles without the serial number labels worth $1800, assuming all else is OK? I'm thinking of buying some from a Craigslist ad in a city two hours away from me. Seller says they are in very good shape, but no serial numbers. The ad contains the same picture of the same speaker twice, rather than a picture of each speaker. The front of the speaker looks good, but that's all that can be seen. I'm wondering at this point if they are worth $1800 and a two hour drive. Thanks.

My only input to this is: Two of my Belles somehow had the S/N tags knocked off and I keep them in a drawer. I know that one day I will go to get them and they will be gone.

Observe Craigslist safety.

I would think that they would have to be pristine. Also what year are they, what cross overs ? At the current market you can get 10/10's for about 1800.

I bought a pair in november that have some cosmetic issues for 900. They were 84's with a a/b cross over which I have replaced by now. I would think the seller would send you a lot of pictures with closeups. I would want to see both speakers before I drove 2 hrrs.

Seller says that they are late '80's, and that the original owner (he's the 2nd) said they were consecutive serial #s. Don't know about the crossovers. I e-mailed the seller a little while ago to ask why he posted two of the same picture rather than a picture of each. We'll see. . .

i don't know when they stopped stamping the serial numbers in the wood but pre 84 all have it on the back stamped in the wood. if your a seller you want 1800 but as a buyer you don't want to spend that much in todays prices.

sammy, i also found the 84 heresy birch raw risers yesterday. couple of the metal feet are missing i'm going to home depot to see if i can match them up. you still interested in them let me know.

i recently bought and sold a mint set of 82 oak belles with cane cloth less than that. 1800 is a little to high

If mint $1800 is a good price. I've seen them sell from $1500-$2400 but I consider over $2K abit much unless a special veneer. They also aren't in production anymore. My Belles didn't have tags anymore but they did have SSN stamped in the tale boards.

Thanks for the replies. . .made the drive to Little Rock on Friday and came home with some nice looking walnut Belles, a nick here and there, but very good looking overall. Managed to get $300 knocked off the price thanks to your responses. They sound incredible. They do have the AB crossovers, so maybe I'll replace those, but they can't be too bad becasue the speakers sound amazing. I started off with some new Heresys last September (now for sale on Audiogon). Loved the live sound & dynamics and got infected with the Heritage bug. Bought some '84 Heresy I's in Novermber for the second system, and now the Belles. Also obtained some much-needed slant risers for the Heresy I's this weekend (thanks Budman), so it was great weekend for Klipsch finds. I even got a surprse day off of work yesterday (due to snow) to listen to it all. Looks like I'm set. . . .at least until next month, when I'll probably decide to put Cornwalls in the bathroom or something. Trying to post pictures of the Belles without luck so far.

Thanks for the replies. . .made the drive to Little Rock on Friday and came home with some nice looking walnut Belles, a nick here and there, but very good looking overall. Managed to get $300 knocked off the price thanks to your responses. They sound incredible. They do have the AB crossovers, so maybe I'll replace those, but they can't be too bad becasue the speakers sound amazing. I started off with some new Heresys last September (now for sale on Audiogon). Loved the live sound & dynamics and got infected with the Heritage bug. Bought some '84 Heresy I's in Novermber for the second system, and now the Belles. Also obtained some much-needed slant risers for the Heresy I's this weekend (thanks Budman), so it was great weekend for Klipsch finds. I even got a surprse day off of work yesterday (due to snow) to listen to it all. Looks like I'm set. . . .at least until next month, when I'll probably decide to put Cornwalls in the bathroom or something. Trying to post pictures of the Belles without luck so far.

[Y]

Now you need to post some pics.

That is great. Belles are awesome!

I drove in from Austin and Dallas yesterday. The roads were terrible but it was mostly the other idiots on the road.