Crites midrange diaphragms

troutboy

Miighty Favog: if you have blown three mid diaphragms in a month I think it is a good time to look at your amp. This is like having your main power fuse blow three times and wondering what is wrong with these fuses? You may not be playing music at a high level but if your amp has developed an oscilation it could be dumping a lot of current into your speaker(s). Is it the same channel each time? You could also have a look at your crossover to see if anything there looks heat distressed. This is not a normal situation and the likelyhood of all three diaphragms being problematic is not probable. Good luck in your search to find the problem. I am sorry that it has cost you so much already. Best regards Moray James.

It has blown at least one in each channel. Bob and I traded e-mails last night and in doing some other reading it turns out the K57 has 6db more output than the, say, the K55 (preceeding driver for the CW) while using the B3 network that Bob built or rebuilt. Bob seems to remember this happeneding to one other person so were digging into that now. Don't get me wrong, I do trust him.

The amp has two different circuits to prevent this sort of thing from happening but I'm not ruling it out all together.

(scratch my above post...I got my driver numbers wrong.)

My Titanium's arrived yesterday [:P] Wednesday afternoon from Hope they were shipped Monday via FEDEX.

I think Klipsch Parts could take some lessons in packaging from Mr. Bob Crites who has superior packing for a $70 product vs this one at something like a $160. Needless to say, I was a little alarmed at when I saw the phase plug popping through the tops of their boxes. For the price of these, they should be better protected, they could of been crushed easily even though their boxes are pretty stiff and the diaphrams are a very tight fit. I still didn't like it. They came in a flexible bag that has one of those zip strings to pull to open it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I had the opportunity to purchase them, but Geez I would imagine some of these could get damaged easily shipped like these were, so be careful to look them over should you purchase them.

I hope to have them installed Friday Morning maybe or sooner if I can, I will have some contrasting photo's of the three, the stock, Crites and the Titanium.

Paper work says: The squawker diaphragm gives dealer and consumer a like the opportunity to make less expensive repairs in the field for the following KLIPSCH models:

K-53-K, K-57-K, K-52-K, K-58-K, K-59-K, K-52H-K, K-62-K, K-61-K

I'm so looking forward to hearing them as I know you all would like to know how they perform as well!

L8ter

SET12

I was a little alarmed at when I saw the phase plug popping through the tops of their boxes.

Set 12;

I agree 100% with your assesment of the packaging. Luckily we both had "well handled" packages between Hope and our respective dwellings. Get those babies in, and let us know your thoughts! [H] Extreme and I have been very satisfied with the results.

I was a little alarmed at when I saw the phase plug popping through the tops of their boxes.

Set 12;

I
agree 100% with your assesment of the packaging. Luckily we both had
"well handled" packages between Hope and our respective dwellings. Get
those babies in, and let us know your thoughts! Cool Extreme and I have been very satisfied with the results.

Thanks John,

Will do ASAP, Yes we were lucky! Unfortunately some might not be so lucky

Just remember that the fat connection on the diaphragm is your hot/yellow, i had to snip off my connectors on the forte's because they didn't fit, and soldered the wires on directly, have fun ;) and yes the packaging was unfortunately meh ;( , but at least i gottem. ;D

Thanks xtreme4099,

Yes, the packing came as a little bit of a shock, but your right "we got them"

I guess I didn't look at them, but yes its going to reqire a different connector, but I have an idea, since two of the three mid diaphragms have the the small Klipsch male spade, I think I am going to use a male spade crimped and soldered with a wire on it to the new mid, I will drill a new hole lower then the existing hole in the male spade of the diaphragm and solder to that preserving the spade that is on the new Titanium diaphragm. Just in case I use it for another project or god forbid I don't like the diaphragm, but judging what you guys have to say about it, thats unlikely. This allows me to attach the existing Forte female spades that I have attached to my AudioQuest Indigo internal Forte wiring that I use for the midrange and the tweeter. I use AudioQuest Midnight for my woofer with my original Forte female spades attached to it as well. All I did was use about a fraction of an inch of the original wire and soldered it to the AudioQuest wire. Worked like a charm..

I'll post ASAP

SET12

That was what I was thinking reading the updates that maybe the updated wiring that come with the Crites networks would have the correct connectors. Good to know. Thanks

Looking forward to another opinion about the titanium drivers Set12

Oh BTW I would appreciate the phone number you called to make the order too if you will.

Your welcome! Set 12, we are EAGERLY awaiting your review!Yes

Thanks John!

Here is all three from left to right, the stock, the Crites and the Titanium.

013gvy.jpg

What a listening session this morning!

First off the Titanium midrange was connected via a Duelund Copper VSF coupling capacitor then to my German Made C-Core Autotransformers.

It was a long day yesterday as I got a late start, I had to swap out a bad K-23 woofer for another K-23 then pull apart everything which is a job. I have 28 5- way binding posts with my external networks. My Forte's internal wiring is composed of heavy gauge AudioQuest Midnight for the woofer and Idiago for the mid and tweeters. Midrange and tweeter is wrapped with rope caulk then I use egg crate foam to wrap the both of them. Clearly when rapping on the mid horn you can hear the effect of the wrap as it seems to lower the pitch of the rapping. And BTW after 1 yr there is no sign of any oiliness to the rope caulk brand name Mortite purchased at Home Depot at all.

I was able to get about a 1/2 hr in of moderate volume level Jazz last night, I initially felt the lower registers of the piano were a little soft in contrast to the Crites but I figured it was due to the driver being a bit stiff being new. And I was correct.

So this Morning for several hrs I put the Titanium's through some of my reference recordings.

As I listened it seemed they were opening up and getting more dynamic, stage size was huge right out of the box. Unlike the Crites which was narrow initially then bloomed beyond the stocks presentation.

But I noticed what took hrs and hrs for the Crites was taking minutes and minutes for the Titanium to display its stuff.

I would say if I had compared the Crites to the Titanium right out of their boxes, it would be no contest the Titanium would win hands down!

But with 40-50hrs or more The Crites is one Bargain! a person can't go wrong with them.

A Couple of things I noticed with the Titanium's!

One is they are a very low distortion drivers, they handle clipping far more graceful of my SET amps then the stock or the Crites but the Crites is far superior to the stock Phenolic. The Titanium is simply unbelievable how it holds together at high volume levels. I use to think it was my amps clipping I was hearing but now I think it was the driver it self breaking up. Certainly the Crites is better than the stock Phenolic but nothing like the Titanium.

Second, the vertical imaging seems taller to me as does the lateral imaging slightly wider. Images after a couple of hrs were getting more 3 dimensional, nice roundness.

The human voice is very nice! integrating better to the Crites Titanium tweeters more seamlessly.Very impressive.

Cymbals, wire brushes drum sticks took on more weight to their hits with some very nice definition. I was really impressed with this.

Last I spent some time with the Crites Autotransformers. Here I had some problems that I just had a hard time listening to unfortunately. Perhaps changing my amps coupling outer foil connection would work I don't know, it has helped in the past and the MIT Multi Caps don't have the greatest reputation today but they are used in one of the finest preamps I have ever heard.

Here is one reason why everyone has to decide for themselves what works and what doesn't. I have spent a lot of time voicing and I couldn't agree more with this statement about Arthur Loesch.

"Dr. Arthur Loesch used two of the lower tier finishers
as coupling caps in his personal phono stage, where their major flaws
largely cancelled each other out. This is why we suggest using the
results, published below, as a guide, and not take them as an absolute.
Voicing your components is a lot like cooking -- some spices work well
in some recipes, but used in the wrong combination, they can easily
make a dish unpalatable. If you do your own tests, please keep both
your mind and ears open and try to forget everything you may have read
about a given cap in this or any other survey."

So what I heard using the Crites Autotransformers, I swapped out the C-Cores and left the volume as is and hit play, and wow what a difference. It was unbearable, thin hard bright, it could be the stock autotransformers maybe better I don't know I'd have to try them. Anyway I had to move the volume control nearly 90 degrees back or so and even then I was starting to get a headache, I don't get headaches. I listened to several cuts and and went back. The C-Cores where far more natural subjectively and pleasing to my ears.

But as far as the Titanium's in my system they are a clear winner [Y]

SET12

Well you have so many modifications to your system that I wont be doing in the audiophile realm, but basically what I am grafting from this is that you prefer the titaniums to the crites, crites to the stock, and that I would probably be better off just recapping the original crossovers than to upgrade to all new crites crossovers?

Well you have so many
modifications to your system that I wont be doing in the audiophile
realm, but basically what I am grafting from this is that you prefer
the titaniums to the crites, crites to the stock, and that I would
probably be better off just recapping the original crossovers than to
upgrade to all new crites crossovers?

Yes, Thats correct I would prefer the Crites mid to the stock and the Titanium to the Crites. How the Titanium sounds inserted into a stock network I couldn't tell you! but mind you the Titanium I believe will be a love hate item to some IMO more so than the Titanium tweeters and there are a few who don't care for them either, its all in how a system is voiced IMO as to whether they are loved or hated. But from xtreme4099 and John Chi-town they like what they hear. The nice thing about Crites networks is you get new board that you can change parts out to others much easier in the future should you want to do so. Also Bob's inductors are more than likely better than the stock units. I guess it all depends on your networks and how easy they are to modify,some like my original Forte are a real bear to work with (everything mounted on small round terminal cups) while other Klipsch networks aren't so bad to mod. In the end its far cheaper to do it yourself.

Largely it depends on how much performance you want or need. In my case its very high.

SET12

Thanks to all, tough choices indeed. I have had my Chorus II since new in late 1990 but had them in storage till nearly mid 1991 due to being deployed for Desert Storm.

I would say my speakers have had very little use in the last 10 years as I am getting much older (55) and have many other interests. My main concern in the beginning is age, especially of the original crossover networks which also are mounted on the terminal cups on these. I see that Crites can rebuild these for about half the price of replacements. So still on the fence on that. My brother told me he had read over at the Audio Karma forums that it was almost absolutely necessary to upgrade to the titanium tweets if I get the new crossovers. Then I began reading about the Klipsch titanium mids as well.

It could well be that none of it NEEDS replaced but I am thinking of the future, especially now that there is news of Klipsch being taken over by Audiovox. I dont especially savor the thought of missing out and wishing I had taken the opportunity when it existed.

Btw im still running stock networks fellas, they are still at the top of mids food chain regardless modded or not, K53Ti > Crites > Stock Diaphragms.

I can't argue with personal satisfaction which is all that matters, I certainly agree the Titanium's are the top of the [8] food chain.

SET12