SAINTS WIN THE SUPER BOWL 31-17 !!!!!

JL Sargent

Hi guys, got back home today and am totally worn out. I've now witnessed southern hospitality in everything from a relaxing tour of a plantation to a Super Bowl parade and it was an awesome trip. The city of New Orleans had announced a parade for the team for the Tuesday after the game so I elected to stay an extra day. Incidentally, Amtrak does not charge anything to change a reservation, even at last minute! I get the distinct impression that most of these folks would have been there win or lose.

Drew Brees had been shipped from Miami to Disney World, to NYC on Monday, and now was back in N.O. I've been to some Indy 500 parades and seen others on tv, but nothing compares to what I witnessed on Tuesday night. Around here the performers dress up for a parade, I've never seen one where it's 'audience participation'. The amount of black and gold was stunning, the floats magnificent, the players celebretory but humble. The 8 of us (Dtels, daughters, kids, myself) arrived early enough to take in some of the sights of the French Quarter as we'd only hit Bourbon Street on Saturday night (with me in blue no less). Great architecture, gift shops, art galleries, eateries. Spent some time in quietude at the Cathedral, then off to the show.

We situated ourselves in the large streetcar median on Canal St. at St. Charles. I was to find out later that this was a key point in the parade as the floats and bands started earlier by the Superdome for the reviewing stands. We were to see them some hour and half later as they rounded a tight turn and into a sea of screaming humanity. There were the obligitory police, fire and rescue squads preceding the parade and it took me a while to realize that after Katrina, these were not just marshals of the parade, but all of them heros just as big as the team was. When the first band and well-lit floats turned the corner, the crowd just erupted. Sounded like guns or thunder, the roar was just enormous. The second float carried three massive searchlights which straifed the high-rise buildings around us and confetti cannons created an immediate festive atmosphere. It was so intense I don't know how anyone there could not have had some tears of joy for the city, it's team, and the spectacle before them.

Good fortune smiled on us as we were camped next to some very kind folks, some had driven more than 2 hours to be here, others let the kids in our group near the front for a good vantage point. A mother/son parade-veteran team brought a large stepladder and workbench, which they graciously let us use for photographing over the crowd. Even the wild Asian kids slamming shots from a soon-empty Crown Royal bottle were fun and polite although quite loud with their chanting. I think the Saints fans had on every possible numbered jersey in existence, and quite a few very inventive home-made outfits as well.

Without going into details of the entire evening, all I can say is WOW! This city really knows how to throw a parade. Of course they're well practiced at it, but this event would have had only 2 weeks planning time (from the last playoff game). There were probably 20 high school bands, a dozen floats from various 'Krews' (Krew is a team that usually sponsors a single parade each during the Mardi Gras season). There was some really cool stuff like the kickers were in a float adorned with a gigantic high-heeled shoe lit with a bagillion tiny lights. Team members were grouped by squad on floats scattered through the two-hour route. The field goal kicker #5 even ran laps around the float giving high fives to the crowd. The kids in our group had been hollering 'WHO DAT' all day long and one was hit smack in the 'numbers' with a huge bundle of Mardi Grad beads by Drew Brees. In a tremendous display of humility, Coach Payton was on the final float, allowing his players to parade ahead of him. He blew kisses and held the trophy high overhead the entire route to great applause.

Now I've got the shirt, the CD's, the beads, and some fantastic memories. Thanks Dtels and thanks New Orleans!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

If that isn't insight to Sean Payton's amazing coaching abilities I don't know what is. Payton's instincts enabled him to coach the Saints to victory. Listening closely to what Sean Payton was saying gives me a whole new perspective on his abilities and the future of the Saints' organization!

If there are any doubts about who should have won the Super Bowl this video should put those to rest.

WS, thank you so much for sharing this....it is awesome....I started crying all over again listening to Drew Brees and Sean Payton when they were hugging at the end.

Thank you again!

I don't see the logic in the Raiders thinking on this one. Since when does a kicker make a difference in loosing by two touchdowns? Just seems like they have more pressing matters than having the best kicker......

Logic and Al Davis have very little to do with each other.

Nah, not that good. I just thought a little music would be nice with the wine.[;)]

Although I was pulling for the Saints, I really thought Payton Manning and the Colts were gonna beat them by at least the spread. The chips absolutely fell the Saints way. If you play that game 6 times I suspect the Colts win 5 of them. It was just a magical day for the Saints. I was totally floored by the whole deal. Next year it will be the Colts against ????

Nah, not that good. I just thought a little music would be nice with the wine.Wink

Although I was pulling for the Saints, I really thought Payton Manning and the Colts were gonna beat them by at least the spread. The chips absolutely fell the Saints way. If you play that game 6 times I suspect the Colts win 5 of them. It was just a magical day for the Saints. I was totally floored by the whole deal. Next year it will be the Colts against ????

You know you're from Louisiana when...

-Your sunglasses
fog up when you step outside, even in December.

-You reinforce your attic to store
Mardi Gras beads

-You don't look twice when you see
pink flamingos in yards of nice subdivisions during Mardi Gras.

-You save newspapers, not for recycling but for
tablecloths at crawfish boils.

-Your ancestors are
buried above the ground ..

-You drink
Community Coffee, have tried Starbucks, but don't see what all the fuss is about. (YEAH!!!)

-You take a bite of
five-alarm chili and reach for the Tabasco .

-Every once in a while, you have
waterfront property .

-You sit down to eat boiled crawfish and
your host says, 'Don't eat the dead ones,' and you know what he means.

-You don't learn until high school that
Mardi Gras is not a national holiday.

-You
push little old ladies out of the way to catch Mardi Gras beads.

-Little old ladies push
YOU out of the way to catch Mardi Gras beads .

-You believe that
purple, green , and gold look good together.

-Your
last name isn't pronounced the way it's spelled.

-You know what a
nutria is but you still pick it to represent your baseball team..

-Your town is low on the education chart, high on the obesity chart and you don't care because you're
No. 1 on the party chart.

-Your house payment is
less than your utility bill.

-You know that
Tchoupitoulas is a street and not a disease.

-Your grandparents are called
'Mam-Maw' and 'Paw-Paw..'

-Your
Santa Claus rides an alligator and your favorite Saint is a football player.

-You cringe every time you hear an actor with a
Southern or Cajun accent in a 'New Orleans-based' movie or TV show.

-You have to reset your clocks after
every thunderstorm.

-You're walking in the
French Quarter with a plastic cup of beer.

-When it starts to rain, you cover your
beer instead of your head.

-You've eaten at one or more of these restaurants, AND know how to pronounce them:
Prejeans, Tu Jac's, Gallatoire's, Ralph & Kacoo's, Brunet's, or Mulatte's.

-You eat dinner out and spend the entire meal talking about all the
other good places you've eaten.

-You call home just to find out what your
momma'nem are having for supper tonight.

I think your dead on with most of that stuff. My wife is from Lake Charles. We drive over regularly. Maybe you went to Vallier's Home Decor in Beaumont? That was my Bro-n-law.

I've lived in Beaumont for 30 years, but I've never heard of Vallier's. Of course, if you walked around in my house you could tell that I haven't spent a lot of time with interior decortors.