Speakers clipping at high volume

andruxa

I have synergy F2 speakers along with synergy 10'' subwoofer and I have denon avr 689 bi amping F2s. I also have small onkyo surround speakrs and a center pioneer speaker... F2 RMS = 100 watts, Denon = 80 w/ch

Just today I noticed my F2s clip for the first time at really high volume (close to 0 dB on my denon receiver). The cd that I was playing was an original copy (not burned) so the quality of the music could not have been an issue. It sounded like the speakers were clipping at low/mid frequencies..

What could be the issue here?

i wish they made a power meter on receivers these days..

You don't need power meters (meters won't show anything but a hard clip) as soon as you hear the sound compress or sound shrill it's already way over-driven. If you want to play you have to pay, you'll need a couple hundred watts a channel to really rock out. You might think about a separate amp.

Thanx, Russ

I have synergy F2 speakers along with synergy 10'' subwoofer and I have denon avr 689 bi amping F2s. I also have small onkyo surround speakrs and a center pioneer speaker... F2 RMS = 100 watts, Denon = 80 w/ch

Just today I noticed my F2s clip for the first time at really high volume (close to 0 dB on my denon receiver). The cd that I was playing was an original copy (not burned) so the quality of the music could not have been an issue. It sounded like the speakers were clipping at low/mid frequencies..

What could be the issue here?

I am curious, what kind of problems can you have with a burned CD ?

Your Denon has external inputs, not outputs. The inputs are to connect something like an SACD player or Blu-Ray player that has 5.1 or 7.1 discrete outputs. You need a receiver or pre-amp that has pre-amp outputs for at least the front 2 main channels.

Hard to tell. I suspect you are challenging the amp and the speakers. Like I say, if this is near train wreck situation it is difficult to blame any one component.

I would suggest the typical -- that is: go back to basics. Do make sure that the receiver has all speakers set to small. Are you sure it is the F2's going into distress. Try playing them alone. With them set to small they could still be overdriven.

I suspect the center as a possible source of bad sounds.

In any event, try isolating the overdriven component.

- - -

As an aside. I do question the implication that digital copies of audio degrade. We burn copies of all sorts of digital files, including computer programs. The programs run just fine and this make Bill Gates worried. Music files are transmitted all across the Internet, and this makes copyright owners nervous.

Yet somehow people believe that if you burn a music CD to CD-R there is some loss of data. How can that be?

Wm McD

it's not about copyrighting, it's about how cds get burned. while we burn them with cheap 20$ cd writers, professional studios have hundrends of thousands worth of equipment to handle that. try and rip a professionally burned cd to your comp and then burn it on cd-r and you'll be able to tell the difference...

we burn them with cheap 20$ cd writers, professional studios have hundrends of thousands worth of equipment to handle that.

But their CD players aren't that expensive. Been there and know for a fact. I've made copies and you can't tell the difference. It will help if YOU don't burn them at 54X.

From what I understand, there is no difference in sound quality. And as Wm McD pointed out, same with complicated computer programs. Burned duplicates perform just as fine.

The only difference I know of doesn't have to do with sound quality. A commercially made disc will last a long time, where as a burned CD-R has a shelf life of 10-12 years. This is what I've read but not experienced personally so far. I have many burned music cds for the car that I've had for about 10 years and no deterioration yet.