Parade Report Needed. (c'mon dtels & coulter)

TheEvan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't attempt to go to the parade, but we have heard from people who were stuck in traffic for between two to four hours trying to get downtown. Some never made it there and had settle for parade coverage on the car radio. Estimates from fairly reliable sources are claiming 800,000 along the parade route. Live coverage that we watched on TV last night seems to indicate that could be a good number. I left Metairie at 2:30pm headed north, and the traffic headed southbound on the Causeway at that time was equivalent to morning rush hour. I had three DVR's recording coverage on WWL, WVUE, and WDSU, because my son had guitar lessons last night and didn't want to miss anything. Hopefully the Dtel's and Coulter actually made it to the parade?

I'm not so sure about your parade "ending" time though........ The parade was scheduled to start at 5pm (which it did) at the Superdome, and end at 9pm at Mardi Gras World (near the Convention Center). At 9pm the first float was just getting to the Covention Center, as shown on WDSU TV that still had ongoing coverage. The WWL TV coverage ended a little after 7pm, and the WVUE coverage ended at 8pm. Not sure about WGNO.

• Moderators

WOW.....and WOW again.....what a parade!!! You have to love taking someone to a parade in New Orleans that has NO CLUE! When the first float rolled around the corner all Colter could say is, "You are freakin' kidding me right." with a look of awe, wonder and amazement.

I don't know if there are words to describe what we saw last night. Of course, the crowd went insane when the first float rolled around the corner. (We were on the corner of St. Charles and Canal.) When the float made the turn the look on the Saints' players faces seeing both sides of Canal Street and the entire neutral ground lined with people made it all worth while. I will never forget the expressions on the players' faces seeing the endless sea of people.

Each time a float rolled by the crowd roared.....Drew Brees and the receiving corp....the defensive line...the offensive line....the kickers.....it was totally awesome. Some of the players jumped off the floats and ran down the street high fiving the crowd....I personally gave Hartley a high five.

One thing that we all noticed...the players look so young. I mean really young.

The last float a "train engine with two cars in tow" carried the management and Sean Payton. Payton was at the highest point on the float holding the Lombardi trophy.....what an awesome sight. He kept placing his hand over his heart sending the fans his love, while blowing kisses and holding the Lombardi up with the other hand for all to see.

The Super Bowl Parade was better than any Mardi Gras parade I have ever seen.

Traffic was gridlocked afterwards, so we made the best of it and headed to Hard Rock Cafe for a very, very late dinner. We arrived home around 2:00 a.m.

While we're making corrections, dey ain't no medians in Nawlins, y'all. Dat dere is da Neutral Ground. Din'cha mama 'n dem tell you?

(Thanks for great report. I heard a caller say that when the o-line players saw the chicken-on-a-stick vendor next to where he was standing, they started chanting "CHICKEN ON A STICK!" and then ambled off the float, grabbed a mess of the sticks and climbed back onto the float. Those o-linemen need their fuel, I guess.)

• Moderators

I am trying to post some pic's, you have to excuse Christy, she's only part YAT, she grew up in Slidell.

Yea ya right....thank Gawd! Cuz den I woould talk like all ya'll! I'm not from da Parish and I'm not from New Awlins.....I'm from Slidell.....still close enough to New Orleans to share in the love affair with The City....but far enough away to not speak the dialect.

We went to Oak Alley Plantation down in Destrehan, LA Monday. Michael is still trying to figure out what the clerk in the gift shop was saying! LOL

It's always great to show folks around our area.....they inevitably fall in love with the South.....just like we have.

I love this area....but I still think I would prefer four seasons a year!

• Moderators

This was in the French Quarter, instead of playing music like most street performers, this guy just stood in this pose dead still, we walked down the street looking at antique shops and kept looking back at him, we never did see him move. It has got to be painful to freeze in that position for a long time, he was very good !

post-11804-13819540175062_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819567276884_thumb.jpg

post-11804-1381956861838_thumb.jpg