I know why Michael called it, "This is It"

Youthman

• Moderators

It's an apples to oranges comparison to say theat a Bluray sound track (MJ) is better than a DVD soundtrack (Eagles). It should be.

That is correct. The Eagles DVD was just the best concert DVD that I personally own and I know many people rave over the quality of it. I was just saying that if people liked the sound quality of the Eagles DVD, they would probably really enjoy the MJ BD.

"This Is It" is amazing in Blu-ray. With all the weirdness that surrounded his life the last 10 or however many years it was easy to forget how talented this guy was. In "This Is It", he was 50 years old and still dancing better than most people can even think about dancing and his voice still sounded perfect. Very well done Blu-ray and it shows just how talented he was. I think it's a must have for anyones collection. When he did Billie Jean at the end it was awesome.

• Moderators

he was 50 years old and still dancing better than most people can even think about dancing

Yes, he is still very agile at his age. It was funny to see the dancers behind him panting, out of breath and MJ had to dance and sing and was not out of breath.

his voice still sounded perfect

I'm not too much of a fan of his vocal quality, I was extremely impressed with the band and the sound quality of the instruments playing. That was the most amazing part to me.

I watched about half of it tonight with my wife. She's got a bad cold so she went to bed early and I couldn't watch it quietly so I'll wait to watch the other half tomorrow.

Talk about an unbelievable performance so far. I've been a MJ fan for a long time. Not a huge one, I just like his music. This Blu-Ray sounds so amazing, by far the best music I've heard to date on a BR disc. I will be buying it as a reference disc. If you have a Blu-Ray player you owe it to yourself to check it out.

"Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa, Mama-se, mama-sa, ma-ma-coo-sa"

I rented and watched the disc this evening. I give it a mixed review. There were times when the vocals were too low, other times they were perfect. The bass and drum lines were exceptional however. I can't put it above the HDDVD Eagles disc, with good reason. The Eagles disc ws a finished, polished live performance that was mixed to hi-rez perfection throughout the disc. If MJ had the opportunity to do a finished live performance, it would most likely surpass the Eagles disc, or at least be on par. For what the producer had to work with, I thought he did an exceptional job, but all the back and forth video resolutions really took away from the movie. You could hear a difference in the hi-rez and low-rez audio also. I found myself working the volume up and down throughout the disc. There were moments that were OK, and others that had absolutely stunning audio and video wise. If the Eagles disc is a 10, This Is It is a 8.5 to 9. YMMV.

Carl

• Moderators

I agree about the vocals, nothing special there. The quality of the vocals didn't compare to the quality of the instruments. I could be wrong but my guess is there wasn't any "low res audio". The audio isn't being played from what the camera mic pics up, it's what is coming into the sound board and no matter what camera was being used (high def or standard), the audio remained the same. That's why at some points, the vocals don't 100% line up. If they switched audio like they did video, that would make for a really horrible movie.

I faded the lights to black, turned the Yamaha to -16db and hit play.

I usually watch movies at around -30db. I've never figured out why Yamaha has -79db to about -40db. Never use it. I set my receiver to turn on at -35db

Unrelated to this thread but I'll ask since I noticed it. Anyone know why the volume knob has so much unusable area to it?

• Moderators

I usually watch movies at around -30db. I've never figured out why Yamaha has -79db to about -40db. Never use it. I set my receiver to turn on at -35db

Unrelated to this thread but I'll ask since I noticed it. Anyone know why the volume knob has so much unusable area to it?

I have mine set to turn on at -50db. This is a very modest level but not too soft. Easy to talk over and still hear what's going on. For movies, I typically watch around -20db. This is a moderately loud. -10db is about as loud as I want to go with it for an entire move. I guess that is my "reference" level. Is 0db considered Reference? Somehow I thought I read that somewhere.

My guess is that people that have inefficient speakers (80db range) would have even more unusable area since they will have to turn up the receiver even more to get the same volume as we are getting.