Looking for the best set up (HELP!)

Ness5555

Hello everyone,

I created a home theater set up that consists of the Pioneer VSX-819H, the Klipsch Quintet III, and the Klipsch Sub-10, however I wasn't satisfied with the results (particularly the sub). I used the Auto Calibration feature to calibrate the speakers and sub for optimal performance, but like I said I wasn't satisfied. First of all, the sub sounded "boomy/muddy" and so I thought something must be wrong with the settings or the sub placement (I have it in a corner). I have all the speakers set to small, and the crossover to 100. Is there a way to make it better? Maybe change some settings here and there? When I perform the auto calibration, should I set specific settings on the sub? Like setting the crossover to a specific frequency or setting the gain level or should that be set in the receiver?, How about the phase? . Also, in the receiver's channel level, the options for the sub are -15db to 15db. What would be the best setting for that? Up to this point, I don't know how to go about getting the best set up since there's so many factors involved that affect the performance. I would really appreciate all the feedback. Thank you all.

Re read the manual if you have one- If not try to download one from the internet. I would that some switch or button is in the wrong position. Difficult to troubleshoot over the computer without looking at the rig. Where are you? maybe a forum member might help you. If all else fails- pay a tech a hundred or 2 to check it out. Good luck- Been there done that

As far as the subwoofer is concerned, set the crossover on the sub itself as high as it goes (probably 150-180Hz). Then change the setting on your receiver to 80Hz and see how that sounds. Also, putting the sub in a corner does usually make it the place in the room where its output is the highest but a lot of times it results in the boomy/muddy bass that you're describing. One reason also might be the fact that the Quintets have virtually no bass output and the Sub-10 has to make up for that. If the crossover is set to too high of a number that can also cause the boomy/muddy sound.

If you've ran the receiver's autosetup don't tinker around too much with the speaker level settings. The receiver should have them adjust so that all the speakers play at the same level.

If you can enlist the help of someone else, sit where you normally listen and play some bass heavy music. Have your helper switch between 0 and 180 degrees on the phase setting and use whichever one has more bass output. If they both sound the same set it to 0.

^

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the settings you recommend and see how it turns out.

So after many attempts of trying to yield the best results, I finally found one that satisfied my ears. What I did was set the crossover on the sub all the way down 40hz and 80hz on the receiver. After I made those settings, the bass was tight and clean and the satellites where better integrated. I don't know if those settings are recommended, but they seemed to work for me. Now as far as the volume (gain) of the sub goes, should I control that in the receiver or the sub?

• Moderators

What I did was set the crossover on the sub all the way down 40hz and 80hz on the receiver

The starting point for the Quintet lll is 120 for the sat's and 125 for the center.

If you go below that you missing some music, there is a gap which you turned off the sub and the others can't reach.

I would set the sub crossover all the way up and cross the receiver at 125 or a little higher if possible.

The muddy sound may be because of sub placement ? But you can't just leave out part of the music because it sounds tighter, well I guess you can, but it's not right.

• Moderators

I recommend setting the sub at 1/2 volume, run your auto setup (if your receiver has one) and let the the receiver adjust the level of the sub with the other speakers or use an SPL Meter to balance the levels.

So I've tried the recommended settings and I still don't get that deep, clean bass that I get from my current set up. The only thing that I can think of that affects the performance is the room size or the sub placement. My room is relatively small, 11X12? or so. Would that have to do anything with the inability of the recommended settings to yield the best results? Also, my sub is placed in the right corner so maybe if I move it to the left and keep the recommended settings the sound would be finer. Any stance on that?

• Moderators

Some suggest placing your sub in the primary listening seat and then crawl around on the floor to find the smoothest bass response. This is where you want to place your sub. Just be sure no one is around or they might think you have lost your mind.

What may help you in your situation while not the correct way to fix the problem is shove a big wad of rolled up socks in the port to completely block it off for slightly better midbass and less mud in the bottom end.

P.S. don't loose your socks in the process. [;)]