The Hurt Locker wins it?

Daddy Dee

I should give the disclaimer that I haven't really followed the Academy Awards, just interested in the news.

Also, I didn't see Avatar, though plan to do that some time soon. From what I hear people saying it is an amazing film.

I did see the Hurt Locker, though. I thought it was OK but not a great film. Can't really imagine it being the best of the year.

Just interesting. I often don't "get it" when it comes to the Academy, but this was more surprising than usual.

Any one have a take on this?

I was glad to hear that Sandra Bullock got one! It's a surprise to me that this was the first time she was nominated.

Just watched Hurt Locker last night and thought it was amazing. Just goes to show what the men and women who serve our country go through. From what I've heard from my friends who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, that's really how it is, then some! Those IED's are definately one of the biggest threats over there and are very hard to detect. IED's( improvised explosive devices ) and suicide bombings have killed more soldiers than any other weapon in Iraq. Great acting.. Seemed like James wasn't really happy unless he was risking his life disarming bombs. Very intense movie and well worth buying IMO..

Waiting to watch Avatar when it comes out on blu-ray. Can't wait...

I did see the Hurt Locker, though. I thought it was OK but not a great film. Can't really imagine it being the best of the year.

I agree . I heard how great it was and then when I saw it I was let down . Maybe my expectations were too high but I came away with eeh , it's ok . In this case I think that the Oscar went to the film that is most supportive of our troops overseas .

Just watched Hurt Locker last night and thought it was amazing. Just goes to show what the men and women who serve our country go through. From what I've heard from my friends who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, that's really how it is, then some! Those IED's are definately one of the biggest threats over there and are very hard to detect. IED's( improvised explosive devices ) and suicide bombings have killed more soldiers than any other weapon in Iraq. Great acting.. Seemed like James wasn't really happy unless he was risking his life disarming bombs. Very intense movie and well worth buying IMO..

From the standpoint of a mutliple deployment Service Member, and currently deployed, I thought the movie was out-right terrible.

The only redeeming factor is that the set was perfect. Absolutely perfect! Yes, that is what Iraq looks like.

Someone sat around a listend to a bunch of disjointed stories from Soldiers and try to revolve it around 3 characters. If the director chose to use 3 different people for each of the unique scenes, then you might have a movie. I bet they thought of that, but realized that audiences like to attach themselves and atempt to identify with these 3 characters.

Not to discredit my brothers in arms, somehow in some way, many of those scenes could have happened, but remember it's Hollywood. Lastly, I do hope it gives the American People one person's artistic impression of what could happen and the great risk of putting oneself in harmsway to make this world, not just our nation, a better place.

From the standpoint of a mutliple deployment Service Member, and currently deployed, I thought the movie was out-right terrible.

The only redeeming factor is that the set was perfect. Absolutely perfect! Yes, that is what Iraq looks like.

Someone sat around a listend to a bunch of disjointed stories from Soldiers and try to revolve it around 3 characters. If the director chose to use 3 different people for each of the unique scenes, then you might have a movie. I bet they thought of that, but realized that audiences like to attach themselves and atempt to identify with these 3 characters.

Not to discredit my brothers in arms, somehow in some way, many of those scenes could have happened, but remember it's Hollywood. Lastly, I do hope it gives the American People one person's artistic impression of what could happen and the great risk of putting oneself in harmsway to make this world, not just our nation, a better place.

Indeed. God bless you for your service to the country.

Hurt Locker was ok. Avatar is what special effects movies will be compared to for years to come. The imax 3d version was stunning. I'm no James Cameron fan but it was incredible. Also I was bummed out that District 9 did not win any awards. I found it more interesting than Hurt Locker.

I have two family members and a friend in Iraq. Their stories are incredible. One of them is keeping a daily journal. That should be interesting years after this is over.

Everyone I know who saw avatar said it was dissappointing at best.

Some said it really sucked.

It seems, once you get past the 3D glitz, it's just a silly, ill-conceived concept.

2001, Blade Runner and Contact are the ones to beat IMO.

Have you seen Avatar?

You can't really get past the fact that Avatar looks like nothing else before it. It looks original and the 3D is more than glitz. This is what 3D has always strived to be and as a 3D fan this is huge achievement. That being said I'd give the special effects an A+ but the storyline a C. Blade Runner and Contact are excellent but Fifth Element is high on my list as well. This year I thought District 9 was very good and Star Trek was a pleasany surprise. I always expect Star Trek movies to be terrible but this one was great. My girlfriend made me go see both of those movies and Avatar LOL....

I prefered Point Break

"Little hand says it's time to rock and roll." - Bhodi

Keanu was horrible but I still loved the movie. When I see it on cable I just can't turn the station for some reason.

I don't always see eye to eye with the academy either. No Country For Old men? Sorry. I just didn't see that as a best picture either.

BTW - I haven't seen any of this year's movies. I do want to see Avatar while it's still in the theaters but my wife won't go. That kind of stuff hurts her eyes.

I haven't seen The Hurt Locker or Avatar yet, and after reading this thread I won't set my expectations too high. I thought No Country for Old Men was a terrific film, but I felt that way more after seeing it two or three times. The more I see that film the more I like it. I think the Coen brothers are genius and I look forward to seeing their most recent movie A Serious Man. Sandra Bullock on the other hand, I can't agree with that award. In my opinion, she is one of the worst actresses out there. The Keanu Reeves of female actors. Watching the short clip of the film she was nominated from was painful. And to overlook Meryl Streep again is criminal, one of the finest actresses ever! Not to mention Helen Mirren. Bigger question: where the heck were the music performances this year?

Hollywood is Hollywood. I do enjoy movies, just at my selection, pace and price point now with HT. To see a movie in a theater, its pretty much limited to matinee as I am a cheap bass turd, I don't watch the Oscars, but will check out reviewers who I appreciate for their top ten lists. The film industry is huge industry which support many jobs in the US, but I don't get into the overtly political messages, its pure entertainment and can be eduicational but sometimes its hard to seperate. For better or for worse Hollywood is the second biggest projector of the concept of "The United States of America" besides our collegiate educational services to foreigners.

I also think the Coen brothers are genius! Maybe I need to see No Country again. It just didn't do it for me the first time around.

Actually, I'm looking forward to their remake of True Grit which is supposed to come late this year if I remember correctly.

Definitely watch it again Gary. I felt so so about the film the first time through. Like most of their films, they look simple and even sound simple (their intentional lack of constant music), but there are layers and layers of detail and subtlety which most modern films lack. I love the subtle sound effects that are captured indoors and out, the wind swirling around, and the creek of a wood floor. The Coen bros. make every attempt to place you in the scene. And the scene with the assassin and the gas station owner is priceless... Friendo