heretage ht questions... newbee

JoeM38

Hi all. I have visited many times just watching. recently joined and bought some heresys from a new poster. i've owned a pair of 1974 klipschorns for about 20 years. heard them at a high end stereo store when i was about 16. New someday i would have a pair! so time goes by and i got them.. been stored from time to time over the years. then one day i talked my wife into moving.. as she describes "the great big ugly refridgerator looking things" into my living room. a glorious day! now i've got my ht prodject under way.. fronts are the khorns an academy center chanel 1983 heresys for surround. the question is the center sounds somehow off? my room is about 30 by 15. horns are on the long wall. i'm siting all the way back. about 14 foot. academy in the center and heresys in the back corners pointing to the seating possition. is the academy center not a good match for the rest? have i done something wrong in my set up? by the way i also have a home built sub. decwares wickedone. any advice would be more than appreciated..

fronts are the khorns an academy center chanel 1983 heresys for surround. the question is the center sounds somehow off?

You're not going to like what I'm going to say but you have a Chevy Vega in the middle of two Ferrari's. No way will it keep up.

I used to have an Academy between two LaScalas and was neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr satisfied with it.

My suggestion? (with due respect), yank the Academy and replace it with either a LaScala or a Belle. I'd think the Heresy's are ok for surround duty but personally, if it were me, I'd want something a little beefier there as well.

As I understand it, when in HT mode, the center channel is a very important channel (surrounds not as much) so you really want a great center. In a perfect world you would want matching speakers. You would want them across the front at a minimum which is where the LaScala/Belle come into play.

Nice thing is you can double the use of the LaScala/Belle as a TV stand [:P] I can already imagine what your wife might say about it. Mine calls my speakers "big old ugly teenager speakers"

[Y]

I don't have room for anything bigger than heresys for the rear. my wife already is trying to comoulfage them. as for the lascala i could build that into the front wall above my tv. already cut a hole for the academy... lascala is only a little bit bigger! at least thats what i'll tell the wife. anyone have a single in the north carolina area? not too worried about the apperance as it will be covered. trades for academy?

fronts are the khorns an academy center chanel 1983 heresys for surround. the question is the center sounds somehow off?

You're not going to like what I'm going to say but you have a Chevy Vega in the middle of two Ferrari's. No way will it keep up.

Chevy Vega? That might be a little harsh! I'll give you the Klipschorn as a Ferrari but couldn't you come up with something a little more respectable than a Vega for what some consider the best HT center channel Klipsch has ever made? [:)]

Joe,

I'm in communication with a guy in Wilmington that has a decent pair of LaScalas that he's asking $700 for. I think they're 1975s w/ stock AA x's. I think I'm going to pass on them simply because I know of a pair that may be coming up locally in the near future. Let me know if you want his information.

Chevy Vega? That might be a little harsh! I'll give you the Klipschorn as a Ferrari but couldn't you come up with something a little more respectable than a Vega for what some consider the best HT center channel Klipsch has ever made?

It might be the best HT center they ever made but...they made it for an application and that application was not (in my opinion) intended for use between LaScalas or Khorns. Simply wrong tool for the job, much like how my 3/8" ratchet set won't work well on my industrial backhoe/loader. I need my 1/2" set and really, sometimes even larger tools.

Realize I owned three Academy's so I have nothing agasint them.

I was hoping to find a single lascala or belle? the academy is the black finish not perfect, but very good condition. bought it a month ago for $350. i thought it would work good for my system. need a replacement befor i can get rid of it. Is the wilmington willing to split them? someone want to do some trading?

I will keep it short n sweet, hands down a La Scala.

TIMBRE matters!

Now wife approval or space may be an issue, but you asked what is the best .. it is....

The Belle has a smaller mid size horn... not the same... The top of the LA Scala is a mirror of the K horn And we "LIVE" in the midrange too.

If you really love the K horn just do th La Scala. Period!!

Chevy Vega? That might be a little harsh! I'll give you the Klipschorn as a Ferrari but couldn't you come up with something a little more respectable than a Vega for what some consider the best HT center channel Klipsch has ever made?

It might be the best HT center they ever made but...they made it for an application and that application was not (in my opinion) intended for use between LaScalas or Khorns. Simply wrong tool for the job, much like how my 3/8" ratchet set won't work well on my industrial backhoe/loader. I need my 1/2" set and really, sometimes even larger tools.

Realize I owned three Academy's so I have nothing agasint them.

I agree wrong tool for the job. Just busting your balls about your choice of cars in your analogy!

I was hoping to find a single lascala or belle? the academy is the black finish not perfect, but very good condition. bought it a month ago for $350. i thought it would work good for my system. need a replacement befor i can get rid of it. Is the wilmington willing to split them? someone want to do some trading?

I'll PM you his info

Hi all. I have visited many times just watching. recently joined and bought some heresys from a new poster. i've owned a pair of 1974 klipschorns for about 20 years. heard them at a high end stereo store when i was about 16. New someday i would have a pair! so time goes by and i got them.. been stored from time to time over the years. then one day i talked my wife into moving.. as she describes "the great big ugly refridgerator looking things" into my living room. a glorious day! now i've got my ht prodject under way.. fronts are the khorns an academy center chanel 1983 heresys for surround. the question is the center sounds somehow off? my room is about 30 by 15. horns are on the long wall. i'm siting all the way back. about 14 foot. academy in the center and heresys in the back corners pointing to the seating possition. is the academy center not a good match for the rest? have i done something wrong in my set up? by the way i also have a home built sub. decwares wickedone. any advice would be more than appreciated..

Ive got 4 khorns in my home theater with an Academy w/popbumpers xovers and I like it ! I tried a Belle and didnt like it and dont have room fdor a Lascala !

I guesse i need to trade in my vega/pinto

Oh, don't look at it like losing your Vega/Pinto.... look at it like gaining another Ferrari! [Y]

(pretend that's a Ferrari) ----> [au]...............................................................

Thankyou all for info on la scala being the one. I guesse i need to trade in my vega/pinto.... I'm sure it will sound great in someones system. just not the right center for mine.

Oh you want to sell your Academy?? Well then yeah its a pinto at best, good luck getting rid of it.
I feel bad for you being stuck with such a dog of a speaker so I'll be happy to offer $100 sight unseen.