RSW-15 No lights - No Sound

Dssguy1

All, just picked up my RSW-15 from Rix Klipsch today and got her home but ran into a problem! NO LIGHTS when plugged in. Rix did not have the original power cord but we both agreed it looked exactly like a standard Computer power supply cord so that is what I am using. We are both baffled by this thing!

Is a standard computer power cord a problem or is the amp dead?

Help us out! Is there anything else that could be wrong? What does Klipsch charge for a replacement swapped amp for this beast?

P.S. I have tried all of the easy fixes (flipping the auto enable switch, checked fuse, on off switch, volume up and down, different inputs, y-cable). For reference when I take the same feed rca cable and plug it into my Polk 8" it starts bumping.

My first questions would be, what was it hooked up with when you tested it out and decided to buy it? Where is that cord? If it's the amp in that, you can call Klipsch and get the price as I sure it's still available, but you won't be a happy camper, it's not going to be cheap. [:(]

Rix and I both had no concerns when I bought it because it had been working fine in the recent past. Me being too excited about getting it home didn't think to actually test it before we loaded it up.

I actually have more info for this problem. When I rolled it on its side to see the power socket better I heard the tinkling of what sounded like a piece of loose plastic or metal inside. Do these things have an internal fuse that may have fallen out?

P.S. I want to assure you that Rix is standing behind this sub and is more than willing to refund my money. If there is no easy solution I am going to call Klipsch on Monday and see if they have any ideas. The replacement amp for my KSW-15 was $120 with a core return, maybe it won't be ridiculous (crosses fingers).

225x300.aspx 400x300.aspx

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the cord because it is the exact same size and shape as a standard computer cord. If they had a specialized cord for the sub I don't think they would pick a shape that is the same as one that millions of people have laying around their houses.

Just an update for anyone like me, who needed to know what it costs to replace the Control Board and Amp of a RSW-15 (they want them both back just incase the board is what caused the problem with the amp).

The service price (shipped) is only $140.

P.S. Not sure why it was $120 to fix my KSW-15 amp (which costs 3x less than the RSW-15)!

Rix has been really helpful in this whole ordeal. He got everything lined up for the repair at Abt Electronics.

He offered right off the bat to return my money but I would hate to see a good Sub fall by the wayside for such a cheap repair. Hopefully Abt doesn't add a bunch to the bill because honestly it is 15 min of time to pull the amp out and put a new one in.

Long story short- Mine was supposed to be shipped to on a line haul truck that stops in Charlotte. Ended up going UPS fron one of my business vendors by mistake. Box was perfect but the wires were Jarred loose during shipping. I called Klipsch tech service- they talked me thrpugh a check list while I worked on the sub.I found the problem an fixed it. I assume that you have already done that. If not it is worth a phone call. I was just before replacing an amp when I called them.

In any case i rhink the amp is well worth 140.00 to have a new one. Good luck- The sub rocks

Just an update for anyone like me, who needed to know what it costs to replace the Control Board and Amp of a RSW-15 (they want them both back just incase the board is what caused the problem with the amp).

The service price (shipped) is only $140.

P.S. Not sure why it was $120 to fix my KSW-15 amp (which costs 3x less than the RSW-15)!

I'm shocked at that price. I had to replace the amp section in an RP 5 and it was over $200 and that is a much smaller amp. I'm also glad since I have an RSW 15, that's a great deal.

I don't think I'd use a computer cord on my sub. Your typical computer doesn't draw NEAR the amperage of a subwoofer amplifier. I'd guess the stock coed would be 14 to 16 ga. Computer, not even close, 18, 20 ga?

Actually the original Klipsch supplied cord is only 18 ga, I think most computer cords will work but I would check to be sure it's at least 18 ga.

I just replaced my amps cord with a 2 ft long 14 ga cord, then I used my amps 5 ft long 16 ga cord on my sub to replace the subs longer 18 ga cord.

Monoprice is a great place to buy replacement cords, they have various lengths down to 1 ft long and various gauges 14 ga, 16 ga and 18 ga. They are very nice quality and are very low priced, a 1ft, 14 ga is $0.70 and a 3 ft, 14 ga is $1.24

Agreed, a computer cord is plenty heavy duty for this application. Where you can get in trouble is if you are trying to run long distances with a thinner guage cord.

Most computer cords are only 4-5 feet long and they range from 18-14 guage. I have a box with about 15 of them in my basement right now. My new 1300w computer power supply that cost $310 came with a 12 guage cord, probably just so it didn't look wimpy but who knows.

Just as an update, when I cracked open the sub to check the amp it was quite obvious that it was toast. It had a bunch of burned out components (resistors, caps, transistors, etc) I even heard stuff rattling around when I rolled the sub on it's side. That turned out to be a burned up capacitor and some melted plastic from another component.

I was excited that Klipsch only charged $140 to exchange my toasted amp for a refurbed amp. Hopefully this one won't meet the same fate.

I will post back once I get the replacement amp installed.

Actually the original Klipsch supplied cord is only 18 ga, I think most computer cords will work but I would check to be sure it's at least 18 ga.

Agreed. I didn't know what size Klipsch used, but as long as your cable is the same ga. or larger (smaller ga #) and the length comparable, it should be OK.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE! [:D]

I got the refurbed amp in 2 weeks ago and much to my dismay, I then found out the sub was fried!! Apparently it is common for a blown amp to toast a sub in the process! Klipsch had me test the amp with an Ohm meter and it tested bad (.1 Ohm).

At this point I was thinking that Rix was going to just pull the plug on the whole deal and return my money! Much to my surprise, he stepped up and offered to pay for a replacement woofer to make things right.

On Monday I got the new woofer from Klipsch and installed it within seconds! Guess what... this thing ROCKS.

I want to give a big thanks to Rix! We could have had a really ugly situation but he managed to make it right!

Thanks again Rix!

Fellow forum members, don't ever hesitate to do business with him. He is first class all the way!