rf 7's questions

bekim99

alright I FINALLY purchased a pair of rf 7's[:D] So i hooked them up to my poa 2200 (denon) and they sound great but,,, I get no mids or low end from them the woofers dont even move. Well they do you just need to be 6 inches from em to see it!!! whats going on here I really want these things to rock and put out warm throaty sounds in my opinion these things should be putting out more mids and booms than the 12" senrgy sub i have right???? Ill switch back and forth (using the A and B buttons on the amp) from my 82's to my 7's and they sound almost the same. One would assume for the difference in speakers there should be a signifigant difference in sound?????

my hunch is I need some serious power????? IDK any suggestions THANK YOU!!!

Does your receiver have bass management? If it does and your crossover is at 80 Hz, those drivers won't move a lot due to the fact that they aren't sent the lower frequencies that require excessive driver movement to reproduce. If you are sending them a full range signal and they move very little then your receiver doesn't have the kahunas to drive your RF-7's properly.

alright I FINALLY purchased a pair of rf 7'sBig Smile So i hooked them up to my poa 2200 (denon) and they sound great but,,, I get no mids or low end from them the woofers dont even move. Well they do you just need to be 6 inches from em to see it!!!

Are the +/+ and -/- jumpers in place on the RF-7s? Fwiw, the RF-7s should/do definitely have a better low end than the RF-82s and the higher frequencies should be a lot cleaner on quality material.

That Denon is 200 watts x 2. Should have enough power if it is functioning correctly.

Sounds elementary, but check to make sure polarity is consistent. As mentioned above, if polarity and metal jumpers are good, and your RF-7s are getting a full range signal from the Denon, then I'm not sure what the problem is. What's your source material?

I get no mids or low end from them the woofers don't even move

My 7's sound fine with an Onkyo TX805 that I believe is rated at 130 and yes the bass sounds better with 250+ pumping through them, but they will thump with less and sound fine, except for the hole IMHO in the mid range. I didn't even realize how much the mids were lacking until I A/B'd them with my Cornwall 2's and it's dramatic. I suspect that the 10's roll off well before the crossover point that they are set to, and can't imagine that the K67 mid horn is not capable of going much lower and staying flat. I'm going to tear mine down, since I can't find any measurements on the K67, and send them to Al to test and do the same with the K1089 and report back to everyone, as I don't understand what's going on. I'm sure there's a reason for the high crossover point as this is Klipsch that we're talking about, but something here doesn't make sense to me as my 1" Atlas driver that I purchased from Bob will crossover comfortably at 500-600 and from listening, the 7's can get low and mean and clean, better than my C 2's. I say all of this and honestly, don't know what I don't know, but when you look at the crossover of the matching RC 7 center with the tapered array crossover( I think that is what they call it) the mid crossover point is 550 and that just makes me go HMMMMMMMMMMMM, as it uses the same compression driver. More to come, but that's my thoughts.

Bekim99,

Congratulations on the RF-7 purchase. The POA-2200 is a fine amp with great build quality but keep in mind, it is 20 to 23 years old. It may need a once over from an amp tech. I have a POA-1500 that I tried to drive my RF-63's with but after about an hour of medium volume listening, the amp went into protection mode and did not come out of it. Took it to an amp guy and he cleaned it out and adjusted the bias and returned it good as new. It now powers the 63's with ease and really makes my Forte's sing.

It is possible the 2.8ohm dips are draining the current in your amp. If not recently serviced, it would not hurt to give it a good checkup at the amp doctor.

These Denon's really look cool under the hood.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/DENON/POA2200/POA2200.html#

Bill

ok thanks for the responses. these speakers are just huge compared to the 5's or 82's I love it!!!! Just watching tv I can tell the difference in detail and clarity the 7's have. The denon avr 5800 it set to LARGE for the fronts and i have the 7's in stereo right now running them full bor off the denon poa 2200. Im just watching tv or a movie since were in a room real small now due to the unfinished addition at the house. I built a room 24' by 38' and its all open so im going to need to do some real sound dampening up there. But anyways the amp has never cut off or went in to protection mode. To be honest I want to get a different 2 ch. amp for the 7's Im willing to spend 1000.00 or so and I want a really warm sounding amp with solid mids explosive lows, and plenty of juice for the dynamics of course. the horns take care of the highs no matter what. Sooo if anyone out there has any suggestions on what to look for?? thank you!!!

To be honest I want to get a different 2 ch. amp for the 7's Im willing to spend 1000.00 or so and I want a really warm sounding amp with solid mids explosive lows, and plenty of juice for the dynamics of course. the horns take care of the highs no matter what. Sooo if anyone out there has any suggestions on what to look for?? thank you!!!

I have been very pleased with my B&K Ref.4430 amp(200w/ch) powering my RF-63's. Very warm with great lows and very precise mids and highs. Rock solid bulid quality with plenty of high current on tap. Here are a few suggestions:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1273786706&/B-K-Ref-2220-Amplifier

220w/ch @ 8ohms and 350w/ch @ 4ohms

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1272215325&/B-K-REF200.2-

220w/ch @ 8ohms and 375w/ch @ 4ohms

Bill