cleaning lp with wood glue

Jay481985

This reminds me of the footage of R.Crumb tring to fix a warped 78 in the over between glass. It did not work :(

http://rcrumb.blogspot.com/2009/08/robert-trying-to-fix-warped-78-record.html

This glue trick I might try with records I consider trash. I would have to repeat this process a dozen times before I did it with something I treasure.

Interesting.

Now I know what to do with all of the bottles of outdated glue in the garage.

I've had best results with Titebond II...the fresher the better. If you use old wood glue or Elmers wood glue, it may not peel properly in one piece, with a good chance of glue flakes everywhere. And the action of peeling the glue off the LP creates a ton of static.

The Titebond II seems to spread and level more evenly than other wood glue, and sticks better as well. I put old Elmers wood glue on a LP one night, and it curled and peeled itself overnight.

It won't get rid of scratches or wasted grooves...but it will help with surface noise from gunk on the record.

The Titebond glue idea can get spendy. I'm thinking about using a steam cleaner of some sort. A lot less mess, just as effective, and cheaper in the long run.