Finally got a klipsch setup!

SuBXeRo

Yes, finally, I got myself a klipsch setup. I think I did a rather good job, i wound up getting two RF-10 towers, rc-10 center, two RB-10 bookshelf speakers, RPW-10 sub an a denon amp for $400 bux. The denon amp is a 7 channel i believe, i just looked it up quick last night, everything is in great condition except for one of the bookshelfes with some peeling laminate but the whole set performs flawlessly. I had looked at getting the rf-62's or 82's because of the larger sound presence they have but opted for the RF-10's because they were affordable and are perfect for an apartment. I havent fully test it yet with movies but with music they sound fantastic. The center is just so clear but then again i was coming from a sony HTIAB set so this is like a huge stepup.

The only thing i am "meh" about is that the receiver doesnt have any HDMI ports on it, kinda sux because it cant be a central hub BUT if i hook it up to an HDTV, i just use a digital audio cable from the tv and use the tv as a receiver essentially hooking up all of the peripherals through that which is currently what i am doing with the setup in my room. the klipsch system is currently hooked up to a 22" sony crt, yeah small and doesnt have audio out so the system essentially dwarfs the TV, I will take pictures later.

Overall, I can say that I am very pleased with the purchase, I think it fits my apt well due to its size and is most likely something I will keep for a while. System was only used for about a year or so but in great condition.

Do any of you suggest I try to scout out 2 RS-10's for the rears instead of using the bookshelfs?

Congrats, you're going to love it! I am in the same dilemna as you though, I still need a receiver that is HDMI capable so I can get the true power out of the sound and picture of the pieces I have. I'm sure the sound quality through an HDMI receiever with our setups would sound amazing compared to just using digital optical outputs which is what I currently use. That's the next piece to the puzzle for me. Congrats again and have fun!

Mark

BTW look on ebay for RS-10s, they were selling a new set for $269.99 if I recall correctly. I was thinking about picking them up but found an amazing deal on some S-1s. I figure I'll stick with the S-1s for now and down the road I can sell them for what I bought them for and pick up RS-10s or something a big better when I have a bit more cash on hand. Damn dog's ACL tore again, $2500 down the drain ($5000 total now on both ACLs). Would have been about to buy my HDMI receiver plus nicer mains, but at the end of the day I guess I love my dog a lot more than my home theater system lol sorry to go oT there whoops

my cat broke his hip, 2k down the pipe but i was able to split it with my gf since it really is her cat haha, well ours now. I was thinking maybe something used.

Im moving into a new apt so my configuration will be a bit different so i may be able to do rear or just do a full frontal, i have to look at the denon settings, i would prefer to have rears. I just wanna know if its worth it to get the rs-10's if there is any huge perk over just using the rb-10's

my cat broke his hip, 2k down the pipe but i was able to split it with my gf since it really is her cat haha, well ours now. I was thinking maybe something used.

I think I would have gotten a used cat. 2K????? Whew. Did that include rehab?

You probably won't be able to use your TV as your hookup hub as you are planning. Most TVs don't transmit DD or DTS through their digital outputs.

What model Denon receiver did you get? In most instances you're a lot better off running everything through your receiver rather than your TV.

i have the tv as my hub right now in my bedroom with optical cable, its an LG LCD with 1080p, so if i were to use the sony receiver which is what is used to power my on wall bose speakers, i would have to route everything through RCA since the receiver doesnt have any HDMI.

Right now though, im just trying to get the system balanced and get stuff crossed over at the right frequncies to prevent distoritions and a blown driver. One thing that bothers me is having to have the lowpass on the sub at like 90-100hz since there would be a gap in frequencies. The receiver doesnt allow for individual freq calibration for each speaker so im stuck with small/large options and then a general crossover frequncy which governs all the channels which is just stupid. I have to read the denon manual some more to just make sure. I don't remember the model number since im at work but i can list it later

A $2000 cat with a limp..

lol $5,000 dog with 18 metal spikes through his legs, 2 metal plates..the bionc Newfoundland!!!!!

I hear you about tinkering with the settings I am always messing around with my settings and I know my wife gets tired of it. I'm always like "does that sound better than before" and she just sighs and stops paying attention to me after about 5 minutes. It's hard to tell though when you're right on top of the receiver if the changes you are making are working/worth it, so I need another ear but she could care less, it's all a waste to her just like my car infatuation. Women just don't understand do they? :)

lol $5,000 dog with 18 metal spikes through his legs, 2 metal plates..the bionc Newfoundland!!!!!

I'm really have no room to talk. I had a Newf who popped ACL's (or the doggie equivilant) in both his rear legs in a span of 2 years. We were fortunate that we could bring him to the veteranary school at TX A&M and have them fixed for relatively next to nothing. I don't think I could have afforded 5K at the time, but we really wanted to have it fixed as opposed to putting him down.

my gf doesnt get the car/audio thing with me, i too ask her how it sounds and i get yelled at constantly to just leave it. Rar, my gf is soo conservative with spending in everyway and doesnt really understand my spending habits. I mean, i do have so more money than her and being conservative is something she has to do but she has a hard time spending giftcards at times.

• 2 weeks later...

The thread got buried a lil but thats ok, the receiver is a Denon AVR-1707, i think im pretty much done tweaking for now, its sound pretty good, im content with it now, its nice to beable to crank up some music with beautiful highs and actually have it reproduced withouth any static!

she has to do but she has a hard time spending giftcards at times.

If yours becomes a permanent long term relationship, you may very well come to appreciate her views on frugality. Best advice I can give you is to have separate accounts and separate money. Split the bills in some equitable way (typically a percentage based on income - ie 70/30, 60/40, 50/50 etc). You pay X while she pays Y and Z or vis versa. That way you each can budget your funds to get the items important to you without requiring approval from the other - just make sure the bills get paid first.
There are typically only 3 things couples argue over. 1. sex. 2. money. 3. children. If you find one who is sexually compatible with you, and each has their own money, then the only thing left is children. If you have no children (or at least agree on how many and what values to raise them by), then there is nothing to argue over. Simple. [;)]