MULTIPLE CHOICE QUIZ GAME / for fun

montigue

Well I've got nothing better to do today so why not have fun with a little quiz game. For those who want to perticapate I ask that you don't cheat by looking at other answer's.

1.Of the following types of speaker systems, the one gernerally conisdered to be the LEAST efficient is:

A. the bass-reflex design.

B. the acoustic-suspension design

C.the large, infinite-baffle design.

D. the folded-horn design.

2. Two speakers have a nominal-impedance of 8 ohms each. If both speakers are connected across the same pair of output terminals of one channel of an amplifier, the net impedeance "seen" by the amplifier will be:

A. 8 ohms

B 16 ohms

C. 4 ohms

D. NONE OF THE ABOVE

3. Which of the following fm tuner specifications is regarded as the most important of those listed below?

A. IHF (usable)sensitivity.

B. Dial calibration accuracy.

C. 50-db quieting sensitivity (mono and stereo)

D. Stereo seperation at 10 KHZ.

4. Solid state amplifier can produce 50 watts per channel at 1 KHZ into an 8-ohm load with less than 1% harmonic destortion. If a 4-ohm load is substituted, the amplifier will be able to deliver:

A. The same output at greater distortion.

B. More power output at the same dsitortion level

C. Less power at higher distortion.

D. NONE OF THE ABOVE

5. The term RMS power is often used to denote:

A. Music power

B. peak power

C. Continuous power

D. Instantaneous peak power

6. An audio accessory component that can help restore full dynamic range to recorded music is called:

A. An audio time delay unit

B. A graphic equalizer

C. An expander

D. A dynamic noise filter

7. One of the reasons for using heavy-gauge in making connections from speakers to amplifiers is that:

A. Amplifier power may be dissipated in thin-gauge speaker wire.

B. Thin gauge is too fragile and might tear.

C. the impedance of the speaker may change if thin wire is used.

D. The amplifier might overheat if thin wire is used.

8. The following statement describes the best type of room in which to install your new hi-fi component system:

A. A square room with hard wall surfaces.

B. A rectangular room with all hard wall surfaces.

C. A square room with low ceiling and some walls acoustically treated.

D. A rectangular room with opposing surfaces atlernately "hard" and sound absorbent.

9. Which one of the basic speaker types is the MOST efficient:

A. acoustic suspention

B. Folded horn

C. bass reflex

D. ducted Port

10. If you had just under $2000 to spend on speakers which would you buy?

A. BOSE floor standing

B. BOSE satelite systems

C. Klipsch reference floor speakers

D. BOSE wave radio w/custom stand

Here are some questions without multiple choice

1A. What range of frequencies (lowest to highest) is considered necessary for true high fidelity reproduction?

2A. What is meant by the term "acoustic feedback".

3A. What is the highest frequency broadcast in an FM program?

I have lot's more questions but I will stop here to see if anyone is even interested in playing first

cwm15.gif

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Mitsubishi 55" HD widescreen tv

Toshiba pro scan DVD audio player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver

SVS 20/39 subwoofer w/Samsom S1000 amp

This message has been edited by montigue on 03-20-2002 at 01:36 PM

1. C

2. C

3. A

4. B

5. C

6. C

7. A

8. D

9. B

10.C

1a. 20-20,000 cps.

2a Typically a midrange howl caused when an amplified sound is picked up by a microphone or some other source component and then reamplified.(Sorta like the sound my mother-in-law made when she walked in on my wife and I).

3a. 10khz

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

First of all, I nominate you for a "battlefield promotion" to No-Life status, to heck with how many posts you've made.

And now, for the answers: (drum roll please)

1-B, 2-B, 3-C, 4-B, 5-C, 6-C, 7-A, 8-D, 9-B, 10-C

1a - 20hz-20khz

2a - sound produced by a system being picked up through a mic, phono cartridge, etc. and being added to the original signal.

3a - 15khz

ps - I also submit myself for advancment to "no-life" status for answering these questions. Obviously, I have, uh, no life. cwm16.gif

------------------

JDM

1.C

2.C

3.A

4.B

5.C

6.C

7.A

8.C

9.B

10.C

1A: 20Hz to 20,000Hz, although I challenge that, I want my system to go down to 5Hz for wall-destroying capabilities...

2A: The type of market research done by Bose, or the screechy sound made caused by picking up an amplifier's output (through speakers) by a microphone, output which is then reamplified, etc...

3A: Right now it is JA Rule - Always on time that is played with the highest frequency around here... Oh, you meant... ok, 15KHz, but i'm not sure at all. I think i saw that somewhere.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 03-20-2002 at 03:27 PM

Good test lets see...

1.C

2.C

3.A

4.D When driving 4 Ohms an amp can double its output but WILL give higher distortion.Prove me wrong,in the real world you cant.Sorry for the looong answer

5.C

6.C

7.C

8.D

9.B

10.C

1A.20Hz-20KHz,I too challenge this as human hearing goes below 20Hz and is under 20KHz.But hey the answer is 20Hz to 20KHZ

2A.Loop in the system,unwanted sound being reamplified.

May be causeed my microphone,cartridge,or other pickup device.

3A.15KHz,not sure about this I had a FM Dynalab with a 17KHz upper limit,may be 17KHz. Too lazy to search on the net or books.

I stick to my answers,so what are the correct answers?

Did I pass? LOL

Come on professor Fish Head Montigue did I graduate?

Any cheaters who edit their posts will have to take summer class.LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

HAHAHA funny guys, although their might be some more audio freaks that want to perticipate so i'll wait till tomorrow to give the answer's.

james: I accept your nomination and agree, LOL. I have no life. If I did I wouldnt be trying to make this web site more entertainingcwm17.gif

LOL professor fish head HAHAHA only you would think of that one ears.

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO TEST THEIR KNOWLEDGE OF HIGH FIDELITY? POST YOUR ANSWER'S!!

Who will win "The Professor fish head Montigue's" certificate of audiophile brilliance!!

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

This message has been edited by montigue on 03-20-2002 at 09:13 PM

I'll know if your CHEATING!!!!

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Seb,

Why would I copy on a mayonaise jar? LOL No thanks,sure I did read what you and others had to say,the answers are all mine and I dont trust anyone.

Dr Montigue FishHead will we know who gets his Audiophile graduation diploma and who gets his Audiophile status revoked?No Dr FishHead I did not cheat,reading Mr Mayonaise test should not be considered as cheaing. Wink.gif

If I loose my Audiophile etiquette I may consider taking a loooong trip to the new Klipsch factory and saving ForrestGump by sacrificing myself! LOL Please note Forrest is about to wrestle with a circular saw!All this while powered up and turning at 5500 RPM!

Awaiting my result,

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I think lynnm copied my answers, so just put down for me what he put down, OK?

TheEAR/Foresthump - I have to say that what I first found offensive in your running feud, I now find most amusing. You guys are cracking me up.

TheEAR, your posts remind me of that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the Englishmen approach the French castle and the French guards heap insults (among other things) on them and drive them away. I F*RT in your general direction!

Au revoir-

Doug

------------------

My System

okay, why am i now referred to as the mayonnaise lover?

I HATE MAYO!!!

I can't even stand the SMELL!!

let it be known that I am NOT Mr. mayonnaise Guy, even though I come from France and live in Quebec.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

There was this guy I lived with for awhile, years ago.

We were both hungry and ordered Domino's.

I was really hungry.

We get our Pizzas, I'm about ready to dive in mine, and he comes strollin' out of the kitchen with about 3/4th's of jar of Mayonnaise heaped up on his pepperoni pizza.

I wasn't hungry.

ANSWERS:

1. C. Since some of the sound energy produced is being dissipated inside the box itself, the amplifier power applied to such systems must be somewhat higher

2. C. When 2 speakers are connected in parallel across a singel amplifier output the effective impedance divides in half.

3. D. (Seperation) The extent to which channels are kept apart. The positioning of the image depends on seperation. It is hard to tell where the sound is coming from with poor separation.

4. B. I have yet read any thread that proves that impedance changes harmonic distortion. If anyone can prove me wrong on this one please do. I could be wrong on this one though.

5. C. RMS = root means square .707 x peak will give you RMS

6. C. An expander another name used for this device compander (a contraction of the words compress-expander) basically this device would first compresses the program source to be recorded so that it fits within the upper & lower recording capabilities of the home tape machine. During playback the reverse process is employed, thus the musical levels are restored to their original relative intensities covering a full range of 80 dB.

7. A. For a distance greater than 10 ft of so, between amplifiers and speakers, the wire should be 18 gauge. For longer runs 16 gauge should be considered.

8. C. Audio experts use the term hard and soft to describe the acoustics qualities of a listening room. Neither extreme is recommended. Xperts recommend that a listening room be as square as possible with some absorptive material.

9. B. As most of you on this site know, horn designs provide by far the greatest speaker efficiency attainable among systems currently in use.

10. C. Their is no wrong answer on this one. Although I bet everyone has the same answer.

1A. 20HZ to 20 KHZ

2B. unwanted feedback picked up by a microphone in a loop system.

3C. The rules governing FM broadcast permit FM stations to transmit audio frequencies up to 15HZ

HOW DID YOU DO?

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

This message has been edited by montigue on 03-21-2002 at 09:37 PM

Ear -5

Lynnm -3

James -4

dndphishin -3

Seb -1

Nice job Seb!! your awesome!!

Thanks for playing guys!!

Monty

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

This message has been edited by montigue on 03-21-2002 at 10:33 PM

honestly, I thought the channel separation thing was too simple to be the answer. I really didn't have any idea for that, so I guess I didn't get lucky...

pretty surprising results considering my lack of experience compared with others who took the test... guess it's just practice, all those exams at school prepared me for the Ultimate Audio Test... Hey, BTW, other tests are welcome montigue!

cwm5.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by Seb on 03-21-2002 at 11:39 PM