powerfull subs??

04zrx

Hello,

I have got the itch for a sub to complete my home system. I've been looking at the rsw10 I went and listened to it and it just wasn't going to cut it. It seems the trend now seems to be 10" subs, what happened to 12", 14" ? I actually bought a definitive supercube because I heard good things..... It is ok at low volume but at high volume It is overpowered by my fronts and I cliped it and it shut down. Am I wrong that I want a sub to move air (and lots of it)?

any help would be awesome, maybe I have it hooked up wrong??

thanks,

It is overpowered by my fronts and I cliped it and it shut down. Am I wrong that I want a sub to move air (and lots of it)?

These two will move a lot of air and cost less than $1000:

1) The home-build TH-SPUD design costs less than $250 for the materials,

2) the more powerful DTS-10 (which will not be overpowered by anything) goes for about $1000 and is easily put together in your living room in about 1-2 evenings.

However, both approaches will need an external amp. I'd recommend something that is about 280 Watts@ 8 ohms (nominal) such as a Crown XTi-1000 (about $400), which can also do EQ and crossover functions for two-channel operation in addition to any HT mode of operation.

Chris

I'm a carpenter and have built enclosures for my truck before so Iam capeable of building a sub and will look into stis more. Will a ported design gige me more power?

Years ago I helped run sound in a band and we built "w" bins that would really move some air, just saying.....

Will a ported design give me more power?

Ported designs (i.e., bass reflex) give you more output on a cubic inch box size basis, but for raw, gut-wrenching power: tapped horn designs such as the Danleys, and conventional horn designs such as the Tuba design (if you have the space), are the ne plus ultra of the subwoofer design for sheer output, sensitivity, and low distortion. Tapped horns will give you ~3 dB more sensitivity than conventional horn designs, and can be designed to take the response way down in frequency from a conventional horn design - i.e., the DTS-10 design is such an example of the state of theart in home horn-loaded subwoofer technology.

Chris

Just buy an SVS and be done! Absolutely amazing sub. I own the PB12 Plus/2 and never heard anything come close to as deep and clean. If you can spend $1500 then just order up on the new PB13 Ultra. You'll thank me[Y]

It is overpowered by my fronts and I cliped it and it shut down. Am I wrong that I want a sub to move air (and lots of it)?

These two will move a lot of air and cost less than $1000:

1) The home-build TH-SPUD design costs less than $250 for the materials,

2) the more powerful DTS-10 (which will not be overpowered by anything) goes for about $1000 and is easily put together in your living room in about 1-2 evenings.

However, both approaches will need an external amp. I'd recommend something that is about 280 Watts@ 8 ohms (nominal) such as a Crown XTi-1000 (about $400), which can also do EQ and crossover functions for two-channel operation in addition to any HT mode of operation.

Chris

The Danley DTS-10 will only be available as a kit till about the end of April at just under $1,000. They will then stop selling the kit, and will only have it in finished form - and for almost 3 times the price.

I'm sure glad we got ours: It is incredible, especially with the Khorns!

Rod

horns are great if you can tolerate a what could otherwise pass as full size refrigerator in your living room. The THT is 36 cubic feet or more than 20 RSW-10's.....I'm sure any subwoofer would be better with 20 times the volume, give the op a break will ya...If box size is no issue, of course performance can increase dramatically. Tapped horns also might be a bit more efficient in the low end compared to standard horns, but they also give you huge peaks in the upper bass as much as 10dB swings which are simply not easily EQ-able. You can also port or vent the rear chamber of a standard horn to get another reflex resonator and added low end output - Klipsch actually did a lot of design around that awhile ago.

Tapped horns also might be a bit more efficient in the low end compared to standard horns, but they also give you huge peaks in the upper bass as much as 10dB swings which are simply not easily EQ-able.

I believe that Tom Danley had a discussion on this subject in the AV Forum. The bottom line: the DTS-10 and the TH-SPUD are not meant to be crossed much higher than about 50-60 Hz, but they go much lower. They are designed to keep up with Khorns and other horn-loaded speakers.

horns are great if you can tolerate a what could otherwise pass as full size refrigerator in your living room.

No, the tapped horns have a much different footprint/form-factor - they look like a riser. The DTS-10 is 16" x 44" x 59.5", and the TH-SPUD is 11" x 48" x 45". They can be oriented on the floor or up against a wall. They do really well in a corner, probably extending the in-room FR another 1/2-1 octave (-3 dB).

I have my Jubs each sitting on top of SPUD-sized units, which provide a really nice lift for the K402 horns. I think it actually improves the acoustics of the Jubs noticeably all over the room.

It would do the same for the Khorn, La Scala, Belle, Cornwall, Chorus, or Forte. In fact, any high-sensitivity speaker (like most of the Klipsch line) would really benefit. They don't sound like direct-radiator subs, esp. at high SPLs, rather they sound like really deep Khorns.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I also own a PB12 plus 2 and love it. I'm thinkin of getting a Ultra 13 to join it too. Just curious are you thinkin of goin with the cylinder to save on space or do you think the Ultra 13 cylinder sounds better than the PB13???

Went with cylinder because of space. I only have one corner and thats where the pb12plus is at. SVS to me the Ultras are the closest match to the pb12 plus 2. My room is 4000cft with 2 openings so it eats bass. The plus is adequate, but I want more [:D]

horns are great if you can tolerate a what could otherwise pass as full size refrigerator in your living room. The THT is 36 cubic feet or more than 20 RSW-10's.....I'm sure any subwoofer would be better with 20 times the volume, give the op a break will ya...If box size is no issue, of course performance can increase dramatically. Tapped horns also might be a bit more efficient in the low end compared to standard horns, but they also give you huge peaks in the upper bass as much as 10dB swings which are simply not easily EQ-able. You can also port or vent the rear chamber of a standard horn to get another reflex resonator and added low end output - Klipsch actually did a lot of design around that awhile ago.

The THT standard 24" size is 18 cubic feet and its not all about the volume, horn loading sounds better.

Smaller models are available if size is a concern, they just dont dig as deep. The parts are here for for my next build, the Table Tuba.

http://billfitzmaurice.net/TT.html

• Moderators

Just buy an SVS and be done! Absolutely amazing sub. I own the PB12 Plus/2 and never heard anything come close to as deep and clean. If you can spend $1500 then just order up on the new PB13 Ultra. You'll thank meYes

For less $ you can build better with less distortion, not here to argue but after you see them tested and see the amount of distortion counted as bass you can do better. No I am not the ones who tested, it was engineers I trust and know what there doing, it's there business.