1" versus 2" - A Different Perspective

I have a tap and die set for 1 3/8 18 TPI. They are not easy to find and are under "Special Threads" section of tap and die suppliers. Of course, anything "special" costs more also.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819555655056_thumb.jpg

post-9312-13819582522224_thumb.jpg

I have a tap and die set for 1 3/8 18 TPI.  They are not easy to find and are under "Special Threads" section of tap and die suppliers.  Of course, anything "special" costs more also.

Bob Crites

Hi Bob.....would you like to give it a try?.....threading the Selenium adaptor right to the end & then cutting off the extra length so that the driver exits right at the start of the horn mouth.....I'm happy to pay for the drivers even if you aren't successful & something untoward happens....like I'm assuming it might crack if you aren't real careful.

Or perhaps you could give your opinion as to whether you think it's practical to even try this with the materials & thicknesses involved.

The flare rate (length to double area) determines the low freq cutoff of an exponential horn. When one uses a sub 1" throat that is a lot of extra doubling versus a 2" throat horn. While that makes the horn suitable for 400 Hz operation it does increase harmonic distortion at higher freqs. I believe the K-400, as are most exponential designs, is constructed to increase efficiency

I remember distinctly PWK telling me (when I asked about the K-500 in his center channel Belle) that when had made and TESTED that horn, he felt that the K-400 was a lot longer than it needed to be.

The longer, narrower throat horns definately amplify the sound more. I could hear this with the adapters I'm building for my 2" horns, to adapt the K55 driver to the V-Trac. I get more gain talking through the adapter into the horn than I do just talking into the 2" throat of the horn. It's really cool the way it works.

I'm learning so much from building and trying these different horns and adapters. I'm starting to get a much clearer image in my mind of what is making the larger throat horns sound better, and also why the smaller throat horns have/had their place too.

It was one thing to build a wooden tractrix horn from a design based on a calculator, but quite another to begin to understand what changes can be made to the design of the horn and how those changes will affect the tonal quality and dispersion of the sound.

Greg

post-11090-13819555769126_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819582626854_thumb.jpg