My next step

jacksonbart

Since I finally have stepped up to Bluray and HD DD and DTS, I am now pondering replacing my Denon 5803 with seperates. Would like to use a processor that can handle balanced connections. So far I am looking at the Onkyo PR-SC886.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/886.html

And then thinking of adding some QSC amps, like RMX 1450 to power the 7 channels.

Anyone have experiance with the QSC RMX product or the Onkyo product?

Thanks inadvance

With my setup only the pre-amp will be visable to the movie room, the equipment backs into a storage closet, so the amps (and possible fan noise) will be out of earshot.

• Moderators

Youthman, are your QSC RMX1450's dead quiet in your application?

I would have to listen to them but it might be hard to tell since they are in a rack with two other crown amps, a beringher (spelling), and another amp for the subs. It's been so long since I borrowed the QSC to test at home with my RF-83's but I don't remember hearing a loud fan so that's probably a good thing.

I haven't seen (heard) a pro amp with a fan yet that I would consider quiet. If you're going to be in the same room with the amp in a home type setting, you'll need to swap the fans out. The good news is that fans are cheap and the swap out is a piece of cake.

I am not concerned about fan noise, again the amps won't with me in the same room as the HT. I am concerned about some extra hiss no matter how low using a pro amp, or any type of amp for that matter. For music a little hiss is ok, or HT, I would not appreciate it. So really if the RMX is quiet (no hiss) and does its thing, then I am good.

• Moderators

I think we all misunderstood what you were asking. I thought you were wanting to know about the loudness of the fan noise, not the "noise floor". Somehow I do think I remember hearing a hiss with the QSC but don't quote me on that.

So far I am looking at the Onkyo PR-SC886.

I got one of those a couple of months ago. I had an Outlaw 970, which was nothing but trouble. The Onkyo has been a dream come true - nothing has gone wrong, and it is very capable functionally. In addition, the unit has a "Pure Audio" mode that apparently turns off the discrete inputs (leaving the HDMI busses on) and the LED front panel display turns off when no adjustments are being made. I don't understand what else is going on, but this mode really cleans up the signal path. I can really hear it when I put on something like Tom Russell's "The Man from God Knows Where" CD. It's like night-and-day on the vocals (by the way, I think this is my new speaker-testing CD).

Best investment since I sprung for the TH-SPUD home-build subwoofers last fall. Yowie... [<:o)]

EDIT: Well, I forgot about the TAD TD-4002s - that was a pretty good investment, too. [^][G][D][8][6]

Chris [H]

Thanks Chris for sharing that, it really helps. I am partial for using balanced inputs and seperate amps which can be used for the long term rather than a reciever. Looked at Outlaw 7700 as well but I can get an electrician in to run separate boxes pretty easily off of the unused breakers in the sepatate box for the basement pretty easily. It looks like a nice unit using Brown Burr and 3.4 HDMI.

I am partial for using balanced inputs

The XLR connectors/balanced cables are a big help for me since I have a fairly dense rack of stuff. I still have to be a little careful of AC power crossing the balanced cables, but it is probably another 10 dB quieter than RCA-plug unbalanced cables.

My only issue with the Onkyo is that the turntable input seems to be noisy on my unit (it could be something else that I haven't found external to the Onkyo). I already had an external RIAA-correcting amp that I plugged into the Onkyo Aux1 port, and all the issues disappeared.

Chris

I am not concerned about fan noise, again the amps won't with me in the same room as the HT. I am concerned about some extra hiss no matter how low using a pro amp, or any type of amp for that matter. For music a little hiss is ok, or HT, I would not appreciate it. So really if the RMX is quiet (no hiss) and does its thing, then I am good.

If you run into a hiss on any (pro/consumer) amp, normally reducing the amp gain and increasing the pre/pro signal will lessen it.

If you run into a hiss on any (pro/consumer) amp, normally reducing the amp gain and increasing the pre/pro signal will lessen it.

The only amps that I've seen that this wasn't true are the Crown XTi series, which have a built-in DSP on the front-end that isn't selectable (i.e., "on" or "off). I found that the DSP noise was objectionable with Jubs (105 dB sensitivity), but not with CW I's (99 dB sensitivity). It's kind of important to note the speaker sensitivity thing.

Chris

In addition, the unit has a "Pure Audio" mode that apparently turns off the discrete inputs (leaving the HDMI busses on) and the LED front panel display turns off when no adjustments are being made. I don't understand what else is going on, but this mode really cleans up the signal path.

Well, this is interesting. I downloaded the pdf version of the manual and did a search on "Pure Audio" mode. It turns out that this mode turns off the discrete input ports (anything other than the HDMI bus) AND it turns off any EQ that it set. I had just run the Audyssey function and didn't think to go back and look at the changes made in the EQ. Pure Audio was turning them off for me.

Once I turned off EQ (a couple of days ago I moved things around in the room, reset a couple of amp gains, then re-ran Audyssey), I found that the "Stereo" and "Direct" listening modes sounded essentially equivalent to "Pure Audio" mode with EQ off. Stereo mode actually allows you to blend the lf content of 2-channel (CDs, Phono, etc.) with your subs. The Audyssey EQ mode really isn't something that I would ever use on my system - it's pretty dramatic and strange, and I can't even see what its settings are.

Guess where I have the mode set now...[8-|]

Chris