Tube Behringer DCX-2496

Guest David H

Guest David H

My current project is modifiying my spare DCX-2496. I am removing the ouput gain stages and rather than replacing it with a capacitive or transformer type output section, I am replacing it with a 12AU7 tube type output section shown here.

This is a single tube gain stage available from Decware.

post-24405-13819555740316_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819582599362_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Here is a pic of the assembed gain stages. There is barely enough room to install in the chassis. The power supply willl be in a remote chassis.

I ended up not using the Film and Foil Dayton caps, due to space considerations, I installed the originals that came in the kit on the bottom side of the board.

post-24405-13819555742906_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819582601452_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

So far the modified output stage seems to be working perfectly. I have not not had a chance to scope the unit, but is sounds good, and I am pleased with the performance so far.

post-24405-13819555745866_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819582604586_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I know trying to describe sound is pretty much a waste of time, but could you make an attempt.

Nice job btw!

Thanks Dean, so far I have not had enough time to do any serious listening, and not yet rolled any tubes. I am pleased that I have no noise issues.

Adding the gain stage was needed because I did not have enough gain to drive my Decware SE-84c amps with the capacitive output mod, and I had never seen a tube output done on a Behringer.

Currently I have a set of CONN 12AU7 tubes driving the output, the CONN have a rolled top end great midrange detail and solid bass. After I scope the unit, I will change the output tubes to Bugle Boy and do some serious listening.

Dave.

Guest David H

Looks great as usual.

Thanks

This little hobby of yours is getting pretty involved, any plans on making this a full time deal?Yes

No, it's just for fun.

Dave.

Guest David H

Got some testing done on the Tubed Behringer, and all is well. No noise issues and great response 10hz to 20khz+

This Decware gain stage works perfectly.

Yellow is input, red is output. All channels tested and perform Identical.

post-24405-13819556055046_thumb.gif

post-24405-13819582876436_thumb.gif

Guest David H

I know trying to describe sound is pretty much a waste of time, but could you make an attempt.

Nice job btw!

I finally got the Behringer installed in my main system the sound is excellent, I could not be more pleased. Imaging is signifigantly improved the overall sound quality is much smoother. The improvements may be contributed a better impedence match between the Decware amps and the now Decware output section in the active crossover, then again the improvements may be psycological. I love tubes.

More pics to come.

Dave.

then again the improvements may be psycological. I love tubes.

and what's wrong with that? In the end, your enjoyment is all that matters. Heck, I don't even understand exactly what you're doing, but I think the tubes sticking out look cool.[Y]