Oil spill from rig explosion getting bigger by the day. Bigger than Valdez?

JL Sargent

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were several BP supervisors connected with the disaster who were supposed to testify yesterday before a federal panel in Kenner, LA. One of them called in sick, and the other one pleaded the fifth. A Transocean superintendent also refused to testify. It seems like the CYOA syndrome and fingerpointing are starting to happen. A Halliburton exec who did testify said that they sent BP a report a week before the explosion about "a severe gas flow problem"

Stay tuned, more to come.

• 2 years later...

Man, no one has mentioned the Ixtoc spill in the Gulf from 1979

I had just moved to Galveston Island and was living on Seawall Blvd. by April 1979. The Ixtoc I leak produced tar that floated around the Gulf and up on the beaches for years, washing up after storms and hurricanes until at least when I left the area in 1984. The good thing was that the Texas coast was far enough away that the light petroleum components dispersed in Mexican waters much more evenly before reaching the Texas coast, leaving the heavier tar to float around. It got to where it wasn't worth it to go the the beach, even though I lived across the street from it. The tar that would build up on your feet and everything that you set on the beach (for instance, racing catamarans) and took lots of baby oil in the shower to get off, not to mention the effect on the sewage system. Yuck! I spent most of my sailboat racing and cruising time in Galveston Bay. Happy memories there.

The cost of offshore oil has always been high in terms of human costs. I remember those days most because it wasn't unusual to talk to someone who had a relative or friend who had been hurt or killed offshore. It has always been an extremely dangerous business. Anyone that says that drilling offshore is "low risk" and "well within the state of the art" - well, my advice is to start listening to other people that are telling you otherwise. I think we need to be aware that this activity will always have significant environmental and human cost.

Chris

Further evidence: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/05/old-oil-washes-up-in-la-after-hurricane-isaac/print