Oil spill from rig explosion getting bigger by the day. Bigger than Valdez?

JL Sargent

A real eye opener when this thing is getting compared to Valdez. Huge environmental and financial impact to the gulf not to mention the loss of life it's already caused. This is a real tragedy!

Quote from Yahoo news: "threatening to eclipse even the Exxon Valdez in scope"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should have torched that thing already. It's surrounded by water so the fire can't spread. Now, you might have miles of coastline polluted?

I just shook my head when I read how they were 'carving' out bites of it to set ablaze. I don't profess to know all the dangers of lighting the entire slick but, doing so would have presented a much lessor amount of oil to the beaches.

Sad event for sure.

The numbers on this thing:

Estimate 5000 barrels a day leaking right now.

Valdez was a total of 260,000 barrels.

Mid June this spill will exceed that number.

A permanent cap on present leak estimated to take 3 months!!!

Another well is being drilled to reduce/stop this leaking well

Although, not heald by me, some folks have theorized the opinion that because the cause the well's dilemma remains undetermined that this could possibly be a conspiracy by "some group" to artificially drive up the cost of petroleum, thereby reducing use by consumers and reduce carbon output. Additionally, they believe this was deliberate in order to convince the president to reverse his decision to increase domestic drilling in the gulf region. Again, this is the opinion of others, not ME. I think the whole thing is an unfortunate tragedy, especially for the 11 lost souls and their families. -Glenn