Oil spill from rig explosion getting bigger by the day. Bigger than Valdez?

JL Sargent

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the same thing yesterday. One report I watched was using barrels, and another was using gallons. The "gallons" report was an update, so I immediately thought the situation had gotten much worse. It was a BP rep using barrels, and reporters/newscasters using gallons. Go figure.

Additionally, they believe this was deliberate in order to convince the president to reverse his decision to increase domestic drilling in the gulf region.

I've read that Obama has put a moratorium on new off shore oil leases.

Other updates have said they've lost the well head, and that's not something they've had to deal with before. Normally, this type of disaster wouldn't have been a big deal - from an oil spill perspective. We lot many platforms when Katrina and Rita hit, but no major spills because the well heads did their job and shut off the flow.

Now they're saying if it reaches the Gulf Stream, it could wind it's way around to the East Coast. I think this is going to end up making Valez look like a drop in the bucket before it's over.

Hans has some interesting thoughts about this spill:

"Hans Graber, executive director of the
university’s Center for

Southeastern Tropical Advanced Remote Sensing, said Saturday that

the spill is moving faster and expanding much quicker than

estimated.

Graber says the size of the slick was about 1,150 square miles

on Thursday. By the end of Friday, he says it had tripled to about

3,850 square miles.

Graber says estimates of only 1,000 barrels spilling a day seem

to be more public relations than anything accurate."

Drill baby drill. Except regulate the way the rest of the world does and this would not have happened. Oh wait I forgot, get big government out of our lives, unless an oil spill is headed our way, or illegal immigrants are crossing our borders. Otherwise, just oppose anything that makes sense, unless of course there is a crisis.

• 3 weeks later...

In todays news:

"COVINGTON, La. (AP) — The dire impact of the
massive Gulf spill was apparent Sunday on oil-soaked islands where
pelicans nest as several of the birds splashed in the water and preened
themselves, apparently trying to clean crude from their feet and wings.

Pelican eggs were glazed with rust-colored gunk
in the bird colony, with thick globs floating on top of the water."

This thing continues to gush thousands of gallons of oil into the gulf every day. What a tragedy!

BP is a relatively inert company meaning you have to sqeeze them by the you know whats to get them to do anything. The safety procedures were ignored to get the job done quicker. The blow-out preventer was inoperative caused by a previous seal roach due to pulling the drilling pipe through the seal when it was activated. One side of the hydraulic system on the blow out preventer was inoperative. What the hell guys go go go go go go faster faster faster. Oh what the hell is a little oil spill anyway.

JJK

Here in Canada, a relief well is required before oil extraction can commence, but BP has asked if they could be allowed to drill the relief well a year later, since it's really expensive to drill two wells in the same short season in the Arctic. So far, our government says, "Nice try, follow the rules like everybody else."

Adding to it is that the Arctic Ocean would take much longer to recover from a spill than the warm waters of the Caribbean, probably several times longer.