DCX-2496 vs. DC-ONE?

jorjen

I have been in touch with Ashly's techs, and asked about the differences between the new Protea units, and the model prior. Here is what he said:

"The 4.8SP is pretty much identical to the 4.24C. We added some additional delay capabilities and the USB connection. Same crossover settings apply and sonically it’s the same beast."

In case anyone was interested.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Rudy and anyone interested I have been using the EV DC-ONE in my system with the Jubs and it's an excellent unit IMHO.

I have no noise issues(you actually have to place your ears at the mouth of the K402/TAD to even hear the very least bit of noise). Note: I also have never had any noise issues with the EV DX38 either. Besides ground loop issues I believe for most people using these units that experience a problem of noise is really the result of a combination of High Efficiency Horn Users use of amplifiers that have a high sensitivity input with no way of adjusting the sensitivity and this is were amplifiers with input level controls(or a unit like the EV DX38 with it's input/output analog level controls prove beneficial) or the use of properly designed attenuators at the input of the amplifiers are needed to set up a proper gain structure.

From a sound quality aspect the EV DC-ONE is very good and easily the equal of the EV DX38 again IMHO. For anyone familiar with the Yamaha SP2060 unit the EV DC-ONE is very similar in sound and use.

Now the analog level controls can be a very convient feature with the EV DX38 so that is one thing to consider since this can assist in the setting of a proper gain structure in a system. The EV DC-ONE along with most all other units might require proper attenuators to maximize the gain structure of the system with the use of some amplifiers for the reasons I mentioned previously such as high input sensitivity amplifiers (especially if they are also high power designs) used in systems with High Efficiency Speakers.

The EV DC-ONE has greater functional capabilities over the EV DX38 and in fact I'm able to include my (Cello Audio Palette simulated program for recording's EQ) along with the necessary settings for the Jubilee.

mike tn

Mike: Thanks for letting me know how it performs. I have often thought I jumped the gun getting rid of mine, but at the time I did not have enough knowledge to accurately set to the root of my noise problem. Now that I run all pro amps, the gain issue would not be an issue as it was when I was trying to mix and match consumer and pro gear.

I am trying to find a good upgrade for my DCX2496 without spending an arm and a leg.

but really now has anyone checked this out? http://deqx.com/products.php

it's $1,950 has RCA plugs and levels and does a LOT. I had a earlier version the DEQX and loved it though the learning curve was steep.

check it out...really....

Warm regards,

Tony

Tony I would love to try one of these out..! Cost for the basic unit looks very reasonable for all this units abilities but I would figure on having to purchase one of the calibraton kit also.

It has excellent capabilities and the ability to make "media" tone adjustments which I find to be an essential part of my system for maximum enjoyment.....I'll never have a system that doesn't have this capability again..!

mike tn

• 2 months later...

Jay, when I was asking around for my setup, several folks commented that the DBX Driverack was not quite musical enough for home use. Of course, I have not heard one in that environment. I'm sure some of the guys with pro audio experience will chime in.

• 6 years later...
On 11-5-2010 at 10:48 PM, Rudy81 said:

I have owned both of those and now only own the Behringer. The DC-ONE has a much better GUI pc interface and some nice features, probably more options for shelf filters etc. However, the one I had gave me hell with my Khorns and noise floor. HOWEVER, at the time I did not have the proper amps for my setup, so I wish I had the EV again to try out. I am very happy with the Behringer and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Would you recommend the the 2496 for someone using an active crossover in a 3-way LaScala project? First time trying it out. 

The 2496 is a nice, inexpensive, way to get into an active crossover.  I still use one on my subwoofers since I don't need great 'quality' for subs.  I have a much more expensive option for my mains.  I would certainly start with the 2496 to try out.  You can always upgrade later.

1 minute ago, Rudy81 said:

The 2496 is a nice, inexpensive, way to get into an active crossover.  I still use one on my subwoofers since I don't need great 'quality' for subs.  I have a much more expensive option for my mains.  I would certainly start with the 2496 to try out.  You can always upgrade later.

Yes, I'm also planning on going fully active with HT so I'll definetely be upgrading the crossovers on the way up ;) move the 2496 to the rears and buy a better quality one for the fronts.