Electronics from India?

Colin

Indian Stereo Tube Amps

Perhaps as much as 40% of American goods come from the giant

Asian tiger, China. Their group dictatorship resembles fascism more than Marx’s

communal ideal of a classless, stateless and oppression-free society,

where decisions on what to produce and what policies to pursue are made democratically,

(compare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism). Despite being a repressive regime,

China may be capitalism’s worst nightmare: a benevolently directed economy!

Therefore, I wonder what low cost home theater equipment can be purchased from the

world’s largest democracy, India?

India Rupees (INR) to Yuan Renminbi (CNY) Exchange Rate

Rs1 = Yuan 0.1519

Yuan1

= Rs 6.5824

Just give it some time. Chinese manufacturers are beginning to move off shore to places like India because Chinese labor is becoming too expensive relative to less developed countries. Go figure!

Only when this process has exhausted itself across the entire globe will balance be restored to the legitimate negotiations between capital and labor. Big business has been able to globalize at the expense of localized labor and it will continue until labor can also globalize. That is how i figure it.

It is gonna take a while. There are a billion or so folks in Indian willing to work cheap. When their standard of living rises, these is all of Africa if the population doesn't disappear because of AIDS. And there are plenty of other places in Latin America and the ex-USSR.

We could get some low cost stuff, a la Chinese tube and Korsun SS amps. If something proves decent, someone like Mark Levinson (Red Rose) could move in, add a resistor, change the name plate and suddenly this modestly priced product from India becomes 6x the price. That, or like Shanling, become popular enough to ratchet he price up significantly each year.

I do not want this thread to devolve into a discussion of

globalization and monetarism, but this process of strong currency buying cheap

labor and natural resources will never exhaust itself. Roman Senators did not

build the roads than lasted for a thousand years; cheap, imported foreign labor

did. There will never be balance. Nature abhors vacuums and balance. Natural systems are always in flux. Without

imbalance, there is no need for negotiations between capital and labor.

Big business will always deploy labor. As long as the US dollar is more

valuable than any other currency, there will always be people working cheaper.

There will never be a universal currency either! In fact, the trend is towards more,

not less, global currencies. One tribe's salt will always have more value than

another's; without different salts, tribes would invent differences to create a

competitive trade advantage.

Colin, roman roads were built by and for the military, and have lasted all these years precisely because they were well made by engineers and craftsmen. The view that everything ancient and grand had to have used gobs of slave or otherwise cheap labor is being disproven more and more through archaeological discovery.

Without going into the rest point by point, read your first post and then figure out if "devolve" is the right word for what you say you want this thread not to be (as if any of us control these threads). The way I read it the raison d'etre of the thread is globalization and monetary exchange.

Colin, did the Romans have a system whereby they priced everything worldwide according to the US Dollar, and knew how to gouge certain societies more for the same product based on what the market will bear? Or did they for example, try to pass off low-end stone by carving flourishes in it and sell it as high-end stone to snobbish builders? "Pithicus, your corinithan columns are much more gloriuous than my doric column." "Yes poornenvivs, it's high end Roman stone!"

This thread almost makes me shamefaced to be an audiophile. Why would we simply assign India a role as supplier of goods made by someone else. Are you saying they don't have competent engineers? A history of innovation? Capital to finalize and produce designs?

Fergit about the racist aspects of the dialogue, for we are not 19th Century British wallahs out to exploit the sub-continent. What's really needed in India, is a domestic demand. And that my friends, as you can see by the link is sadly lacking. What is incumbent upon us at this crossroads of time, is to go forth and instruct the burgeoning,yearning audiophiles of India in all aspects of audiophila. Think of it as a two way street. They teach us the Kama Sutra and we teach them about tubes.

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-64-81.html

They have so much live music I don't think they care Thebes. Audiophiles only turn up in places where isolation from the world is possible. Isn't that the whole point? They can listen to as close as possible to real live music in the comfort of their chosen seclusion.

Yes, oldtimer, I did not want this thread to "degenerate through a gradual change" to a discussion of globalization and monetarism. I want names of equipment made in India. Ancient structures were indeed built with cheap labor. And yes, 4tay (cute moniker), I am sure that sales since time external uses unscupulous tactics. "For you only, the special price on this jawbone of an *** is only..."

BTW, if you want names of equipment made in India, why not just say so, without the preamble about globalization and monetary exchange? Furthermore, why not conduct a search using your vast knowledge of how the world works and has always worked? Quite frankly, the Romans would not have allowed you near the construction of one of their roads, no matter how cheaply you worked, in my humble opinion of course.

I'd be more concerned about quality than cost. Until it is proven that said low cost hi-fi stuff from India is reliable and durable I'd pass. China has been exporting all this time, yet somehow I am more comfortable with a Quicksilver than a Shanling, or a Cary instead of a Jolida.

I'll stick with my low cost Indian dinner of palak peneer, Galic naan and chicken vindaloo.