More Amazing 45 Reissues

garymd

If money was no object, I could see myself playing nothing but 45 rpm LPs in 5 years. As it is, I'm guessing my belt is set to 45 more often than not these days.

I'm not even a big CCR fan but after reading the reviews on the new box set, I treated myself to the "Absolute Originals" which is sort of a greatest hits version of the complete box set.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/14666/Creedence_Clearwater_Revival-The_CCR_Box_Set_-_Absolute_Originals-Vinyl_Box_Sets

They claim this one sounds better because they had more groove space to
work with.

OMG! These LPs are unfrigginbelievable!! These are songs everyone has heard a hundred plus times over the years but you would swear you were listening for the first time. We have all said this when swapping speakers or preamps but this one is special. If you're a CCR fanatic or just like a few of their songs OR you want a really nice box set to show off your system, this is the one!

Have you ever heard a modern 78? Name has slipped my mind, but a modern jazz singer of the Ry Cooder type cut a stereo 78 about 10 years ago and Lonelobo has a copy. I can see the guys face on a 7up commercial from the 90's but just can't think of the name.

We played it on my system and the experience was extraordinary. The sense of dynamic compression that is the worst aspect of the LP simply wasn't there. It had that "floorless and cielingless" sense of high speed tape or high res digital. Unfortunately they simulated scratchy noises (thanks, guys) but even through that the frequency range and dynamic extremes available shine through. Even the stereo image seems more precise and real

Of course there isn't a lot of application unless you go to a 21" disc or something that isn't likely to catch on, but you certainly understand better the limitations of the 33.33 speed and appreciate the skill of the cutting engineers in dealing with those limitations. As I listen to vintage 78's regularly I've always appreciated that "wide open" sense that is there even on those with limited frequency range. In this aspect, the 78 trounces any 33.33 by a wide margin. Other than the "novelty" one I mentioned, I think the newest 78 I have is perhaps from 1958 or so and very, very fine.

Of course, that's why I listen to only a handful of the finest LP's without DBX dynamic range expansion. Frankly, the purist POV of ills of added processing are far outweighed by the improved sense of width, breadth and lowered noise floor. Perhaps having started out with reel to reel in radio studios at 15 ips made me hypersensitive to this, but no TT/cart at any price seems to do much to amerliorate this limitation...which makes sense to me given it's a physical limitation.

Dave

There is one LP in the set that is labeled "wide stereo mix." That one is by far the best of the bunch although they're all fantastic. I can't wait until the weekend when I have time to do more listening. There's still one LP I haven't played.

It's always fun to experience one of those audio moments when you say to yourself, "so this is what that song is supposed to sound like."

Mike - You're going to love this set!! Please post once you have a chance to listen. BTW - It's an 8 LP set. I believe the wide stereo mix LP is a bonus. Yeah it's a bit pricey which is why the full box set sold out so quickly. For $50 more you could get the complete albums.

Wow, just got this box set and must say I am very disapointed! I subscribe to the Blue Note and Fantsy reissues and love them, I am sorry but this CCR set sounds like crap on my system. We actually like CCR but the mids are way over done for our taste, to the point of being painful.

I even thought something was wrong so I put on other LPs and all was great.

Gary and I are normally on the same page with our lp likes, but not on this one. We only listened to 2 but it made us not want to bother with the others.

rigma

Wow- that is a showstopper- Could the speakers/system be the difference-maybe the mids sound better with this source on Gary's K horns?

Different tastes on vinyl for sure. A friend thinks my Orbison's greatest hits(which I love) sounds just okay. On the other hand I think his Doors- electra records- sounds awful. Go figure

Wow- that is a showstopper- Could the speakers/system be the difference-maybe the mids sound better with this source on Gary's K horns?

Different tastes on vinyl for sure. A friend thinks my Orbison's greatest hits(which I love) sounds just okay. On the other hand I think his Doors- electra records- sounds awful. Go figure

Yea, I suspect it is a system difference. My wife is a big CCR fan
and walked out of the room on the first Lp.

We will try again tonight
at a lower volume and if we feel the same way we will offer the set for
sale for $150.

rigma

We actually like CCR but the mids are way over done for our taste, to the point of being painful.

I'm thinking about looking at who the mastering engineer happens to be before I buy pop/rock reissues in the future. Some of those guys seem to be using boose 901 as their reference studio monitors...[:(]

For instance: I still like Doug Sax's masterings and some of that old crowd of mastering guys (analog). Some of the "other guys" doing mastering seem to be the weak link.

Chris

Wow, just got this box set and must say I am very disapointed! I subscribe to the Blue Note and Fantsy reissues and love them, I am sorry but this CCR set sounds like crap on my system. We actually like CCR but the mids are way over done for our taste, to the point of being painful.

I even thought something was wrong so I put on other LPs and all was great.

Gary and I are normally on the same page with our lp likes, but not on this one. We only listened to 2 but it made us not want to bother with the others.

rigma

Well crud...tracking shows my set arriving today.

Wow. Even the wide stereo mix LP? I don't listen at loud volumes. I'll try these a little louder and see if that makes a difference. I thought the separation of instruments was pretty amazing. I have one on SACD and thought this was much better.

Sorry to give bad recommendations, especially with such an expensive set.[:(] Now I'm very curious to hear what other Khorn owner's think. I never post LP recs unless I feel it's something special.

Sorry to give bad recommendations, especially with such an expensive set.Sad Now I'm very curious to hear what other Khorn owner's think. I never post LP recs unless I feel it's something special.

At least you never used too!!! [;)]

I am curious to see where the problem lies. Quality control is not what it used to be, it may be a bad pressing. Wouldn't be the first time [:@]

Dennie

I never post LP recs unless I feel it's something special.

At least you never used too!!! Wink

Dennie

No Dennie, I still feel these are special. It's Rigma who doesn't.
Let's wait for the others to get their sets before a final
determination is made.

I'm heading downstairs right now to listen again.

BTW - I thought Mothership was absolutely unlistenable on my system but many others liked it. Go figure.....

OK. I guess I should have listened to all the LPs before posting my thoughts.

I spent this morning listening to ALL the tracks. There were 3 LPs I had yet to hear when I initially posted. All 3 of those have what Steve Hoffman calls very narrow stereo, which actually sounds more like mono. The midrange is WAY forward on those LPs. Horrible. (sorry rigma)

The first 2 LPs I played when I got the set were the bonus LP and the self-titled LP with Suzie Q and I Put A Spell On You. I listened at fairly high volume (for me anyway) and was blown away. I thought they sounded amazing, still do. My wife then came down to work on the computer and I listened to the next few LPs at low volume. Still, I thought they sounded really good. I have the midrange dialed way back on Dean's ALK Jrs.

I was saving a few songs for a time I could crank it up a bit. I wanted to hear Heard It Through The Grapevine loud so that was one I didn't play until today. Well, that was an eye-opener! The drums are so in-your-face forward, they just dominate the track. I don't think I could listen to that other than extremely low volume. Same with the other 2 LPs I'd yet to hear. It was the last 3 LPs in the set that were the worst IMO.....Cosmo's Factory, Pendulum and Mardi Gras.

For those of you who have yet to receive their sets, play the bonus LP and the self-titled LP first. Post your thoughts. Then play the last 3 LPs. I apologize for jumping the gun. I've never heard a bigger difference between LPs in a box set before, especially a set done by Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray and Chad Kassem!

So Gary, in review, which of the albums in the set would you recommend? I believe they're available separately (except for possibly the bonus disc) from the usual places.