Remember the days before Dale Carnegie? Dynaco restoration suggestions?

DizRotus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops... I had two schematics from this thread. One looks suspect and abbreviated. I did not intend for you to get that one.

In fact I may have already sent the full one. I will check and send you the correct one in any event. I put some added details in the reply just above that may be of interest to you.

I'd like to say I'm sorry... but there are already enough sorry folks... so I will just try to do better this time. -HornEd

Ed, I'm afraid I got the wrong one as well. I am pretty familiar with Photoshop and Paintshop Pro 7; even so, it is VERY tough to take a 4000 pixel wide original image and shrink it down to fit on a 11" wide piece of paper without having some problems, masking/sharpening included. That schematic on my site was a .gif file but as I remember, I had reduced it to two colors before saving it. Perhaps I made an error here as that file was done in haste when Craig wanted it quickly a month back. I'll give it a look as well.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-27-2002 at 04:21 PM

That was rational. I was half playing with you concerning your ebay comment as I had looked up your name just to see what you were purchasing out of sheer curiosity. I looked up "mdeneen" and up popped the user name with one feedback and a registration date of Sept. 2001. The one piece was from someone known to sell some audio, however. What is the big deal here? I didnt think my comment about the 50 purchases was that crazy. Hell, I wanted to see what you were into, that's all. If there are two mdeneen's and I made an error that is fine. Still, this response of yours is SO far over the top in reaction it's almost on another plane. To be honest, I actually WAS seriously interested in the type of amps you were getting as you dont have a signature list of equipment.

I sure didnt expect you to come back like this. I didnt ask you to justify your ebay purchases as much as I was "seriously" wondering what state of the art equipment you had been sampling recently of the new variety, and this asked at the end of the post.

kh

HornEd,

If you have a spare copy of the HF-81 schematic laying around I sure would appreciate a copy of it! I just purchased an HF-81 and hope to receive it next week. I am sure it is going to need some work, I know the schematic will come in handy even if I have to hire someone to do the upgrades.

Thanks!

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connects

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

Part I:

Hey, what's up with Mobile Homeless actually trying to look up mdeneen's eBay purchases. If someone caught me doing that they would 'undoubiously' tell me to "get a life".

If he was only "half playing", what was the other half up to?

-livid and let livid

Part II

Mobile stated:

"

Then again, I am waiting for the mdeneen verdict that this amplifier is nothing but a bucket of swill not fit for a dustpan or yard art, whichever comes first."

I really do not believe mdeneen speaks in quite this language, that seems more like the taunting sarcastic (humorous, I mean) style of mr. homeless.

I brought my HF-81 to his bench today and mdeneen lets the test equipment speak for him.

The inference that this man is anything but truly rational is a joke which bounces off the wall and sticks to the one proffering it.

Seeing and comparing input signals on an oscilloscope before and after they are subject to the amplifier circuit is a stone revelation. Not only is it the most expedient method for analyzing and locating inherent problems and "malfunctions", it is also a way of observing in visual analog just how the circuit inevitably "distorts" the signal to varying degrees from subtle (inherent) and gross (problematic).

The question with any particular amplifier is what therein is inherent to its design and transformers, what might be fixable, and what might be subject to various avenues of upgrading. The o'scope can show you what is a problem to be remedied and what is simply the characteristic of the physics involved in the amplifier and its basic components.

From this point it is possible to explain why certain aspects of the inevitably compromised signal give rise to the potential for subjective evaluation by human ears. It is actually possible to point to a wave form's alteration by say the HF-81 and reasonably postulate why someone would indeed find that it produced agreeable sounds through a set of Cornwalls.

The o'scope is a great way of mapping the physics to the subjective in this light, and it makes clear why the subjective is indeed subjective. Without seeing the visual analog manifestation of the physics {eg what is actually going on}, the communication of subjective auditory experience is like the blind leading the blind, which is fine if you like the feel of the path under your feet, but not fine if you want to be on a different path in regards to which particular subtleties of physics you want to be listening to. Man, sorry about that contrived analogy.

Aside from the fact that this particular HF-81 has its switching functions wired incorrectly and is totally useless in its present state (remember it was claimed by the seller to have been in excellent working condition), one could start to see which aspects of the circuit give rise to the various compromises in wave form reproduction inherent in the design and concept. This is not to say that certain of these compromises in sonic accuracy are not without potential appeal to the subjectivity of a human's auditory perception. This is ultimately a matter of taste and should not be confused with the actual physics, that is, what is actually going on before it gets to human ears and the human brain's gestalt closures (eg. the inpenetrable illusion that the sum appears greater than the parts etc.).

Needlenose to say, I will have a bit of circuit sleuthing in order to unravel the maze which led to the incorrect wiring, before I can even begin to fix other aspects that may be hampering the circuit in its present form, before I can alter in an informed manner values effecting some of the inherent circuit parameters, and well before I start inve$ting in upgraded part$ and tube$, and way before I worry about what kind of paint to spray on this basically ugly outmoted looking beast from the past, and way before I major in asking the Major if I can borrow the major brass polish she uses to make her major medals of honor appear to shine so brightly.

- eBayed and oYvayed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-28-2002 at 02:33 AM

Craig,

In retrospect, it was quite fruitful, (see above post) just not in the luck of getting this particular HF-81 to be an overnight success, although I now know what I have to gear up for with that thing.

We actually did a trouble- shoot and repair to a little HF-14 mono I had and generally progressed on our thinking about other projects. One cannot help absorbing knowledge and growing in understanding working with him. Thanks Mark.

I now realize that you can purchase some perfectly useable test equipment for the price of a couple of NOSnooty Tubes and have your eyes wide open about audio while you whistle while you work. No reason not to have that test equipment if you own a soldering iron IMHO. Its basic use is quite graspable and I am sure he can steer you in the right direction with it, then understanding just where to probe under the chassis and understanding the implications of all those parts in the schematic is quite a bit more, but I am beginning to see that one could even get that after awhile with a guide like him.

I have bit off and am chewing on a few other little projects while we wait for some back ordered parts for the Dyna70mod. I am so excited about the clean and clear Dyna70 project, especially after struggling all day with the messy retrofit approach and tracking the cold trail of the old HF-81 wiring. When we do get that thing up to speed it will be interesting to actually graphically see the rest of the story regarding the electronic details of why so many seem to like this unit of late. Good luck on your projects, keep us posted here.

-faraded and fauceted

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Yea Ebay is a toss up at best and you have to be real carefull and try to trap the sellers into giving you the truth. I myself have bought about 25(mobile incase your reading this it only shows 19 and I hounded them for those Smile.gif ) Item's on Ebay and other than shipping damage have made out like a bandit. Even the shipping end both sellers covered the problem completely. Oh and another word to the wise to everyone. Try not to use UPS they will not cover damage they blatantly caused to your goods.

Some of you probably remember my 222C having the face plate damaged. This unit was packed real well from the seller bubble wrapped and double boxed. The dropped the Box flat and hard and it bent the face plate but didn't damage the box. The refused to pay for the damage and blamed it on not being package right !!! The seller refunded me $50 without a problem and said he was all done with UPS he has shipped 600 inits with them and that was his first claim.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-28-2002 at 11:10 AM

When I said unfruitfull I just meant you guy's weren't able to get it up and running like you planned. I guess I should of been more clear when I wrote that.

Also I guess we shouldn't expect the HF-81 to have the best of parts in it when you consider that at the time it only cost 69.95 Kit or 109.95 Wired compared to Scott's and Fischers and the like that cost double and even triple.

Craig

Mdeneen

Yea your right and that's why they wouldn't pay for the Amp damage they said the inner bax didn't have the minimum clearance. It was packed nice but these heavy amp really need large boxes. It just seems that UPS should of covered it anyway's for someone that spends that much money with them.

Craig

Although factory assembled, someone had probably gone in there in consequent years and did some kind of hack repair which somehow crossed up the switching circuits. Does anyone actually have a copy of the original manual they could photocopy? Might be fun to see and have an acual printed schematic on paper. (yes we have a some files for downloading already).

I am still waiting to get confirmation from an eBay seller whose item I refused and sent back without opening, since it was poorly packaged and improperly shipped. I did not want to risk accepting a piece of vintage electronics which was rattling around in a flimsy and torn cardboard box with nothing between the cardboard and the unit besides a hanful of styrofoam peanuts. This is one of those nervous eBay scenarios where you cannot be sure the seller is a reasonable person who will come through with a prompt refund. All I have is the threat of negative feedback (which is tricky) since it can then be reciprocated. All this history then is crammed into one line in the feedback ratings. I am cooling it on eBay for awhile except maybe to unload some things as a seller.

-wired and rewired

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-28-2002 at 03:59 PM