PC hard drive (swap out) question

Coytee

I'm becoming interested in swapping out my C drive for a new larger drive. I already have a second drive (D / physical) so it's not simply about adding space but rather, replacing my existing C drive with a larger one.

I know I can go buy a new drive, plug it in and rebuild everything. What I DON'T know though is... is there any way that I can buy a new large drive, attach it as my "D" drive and then somehow, migrate everything from C to D such that I can then swap them and make D my new C?

Point being... I really don't want to have to go through installing everything if I can avoid it. I'd rather copy everything over.

Xcopy32? (is that even still around?)

What about a full backup/restore?

Certain software?

You guys are fast! I've been rooting around and found some cloning references. I've not yet looked at the site you posted as I was going to post this and see if anyone had thoughts on this.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Guess I need to decide if I'm going to do this or not....and then at least get the new drive! [:P]

XCOPY....now that brings back memories haha (and I do not think it works on NTFS)...depending on what you get, the manufacturer may have a utility available for that. I think western digital still has data lifeguard tools, and I think it has a clone utility still. I usually use ghost...however as a note, anything ghost 11.5 or prior will not do vista or win 7 (I think it is 11.5...been a few months since a clone).

Free

Why pay? I have Acronis, but I found Easeus which appears to be the same engine. Works perfectly and costs nothing. You can clone either to an external drive or to your d drive, as well as place a copy of the clone on another drive...which I always do.

Check it out.

Dave

Who said anything about paying. I get nero by the gobs from dvdrws that I put into pcs that I build. But you can download a 30 day trial from the website for free that is a full version and it will do all the above. You know the easy way to do what he wants to is to make your own slipstreamed cd with all the programs to be installed at logon. Read the "DEPLOYING DESKTOPS" from Microsoft and you will never have to install software again. 1 cd does it all or make it a dvd with everything. Nothing like a fresh windows install with everything included.Unattended install get up walk away come back to the desktop.

Who said anything about paying.

Hey, geekster, I wasn't competing...just an alternative. You might want to checkout this one as well. Does a lot more than I said and doesn't expire or nag. I won't list the features as that would sound like competing... [;)]

Nero is cool, but I don't like to pay and I keep images of ALL my systems given it isn't a question of whether, but WHEN Windows will swallow it's ***. Saved me a slew of times with the paid progs, but since I found this one I just quit paying.

Dave

Free

Why pay? I have Acronis, but I found Easeus which appears to be the same engine. Works perfectly and costs nothing. You can clone either to an external drive or to your d drive, as well as place a copy of the clone on another drive...which I always do.

Check it out.

Dave

As always, thanks Dave for the information about this program. I was looking for something for a friends computer to back it up, I'll try it out on my machine first then do theirs.

James

Free

Check it out.

Dave

As always, thanks Dave for the information about this program. I was looking for something for a friends computer to back it up, I'll try it out on my machine first then do theirs.

James

I have been looking for this as I have some computers on sorting machines at work that need ghosting.

Thanks so much!