Finally joining the club (TD124 and vinyl)

I am glad that the table is working out. I credit your success to your patience with the setup. I am always nervous telling folks my opinion on how good vinyl rigs sound because there are so many set up varibles that play into a quality result. I still tweak the setup on mine from time to time to see if I am getting it all out on the table(?).

Nice rig Pete! I agree about the table variables. You really have to be patient and take your time with the setup. Having a good setup lp helps a lot.

I dig the reel-to-reel. I have been thinking about a rtr player for a while but just haven't found the right one. How do you like the sound compared to vinyl? What about the pre-recorded tapes versus the self recorded ones. Just curious...

Mike

I dig the reel-to-reel. I have been thinking about a rtr player for a while but just haven't found the right one. How do you like the sound compared to vinyl? What about the pre-recorded tapes versus the self recorded ones. Just curious...

Mike

Mike,

Let me know if you are still looking for a R2R, I have a real nice Sony TC-765.

Jay

It is funny. I did not know anything about R2R decks and then I got the Teac A6010 in a package deal with some Aztec speakers. I cleaned it up and sold it. The guy who bought it brought it back. I figured out how to align the heads and got some prerecorded tapes from a friend. He said they should sound pretty good. I tried one and it was ok but not what I expected. Weeks later I discovered a tape in the pile with a higher tape speed. The higher tape speed was much better. My deck lacks the dead quiet back ground but the analogue qualities do come out. There is also an audible fan motor noise in my deck. I may try and quiet it down some day. It has been fun to play with and it is certainly a curiosity to visitors.

Dave,

Awesome....glad you entered the all analog world in style! The system looks just marvelous!

Craig

I gave a LOT of thought to doing something a bit more "value" oriented, but feared not being happy with it. Even considered a more comprehensive demo of your Music Hall on a future visit to your place. But the Thorens was a "known known", and I felt the odds of success was very high. It was a good bet[8-|]

I have had the project "parked" over the last month, however, because I had an issue with the central A/C that took two weeks longer than it should have to fix. Then of course I am in desperate need of vinyl accessories (like a cleaning setup), and I'm just now getting around to investigating that......and then an upcoming vacation, so with all that (and the fact that I run tubes less in summertime), it will be near fall before I get serious with this.

Then I will have lots more to ask and say. I did spin my clean copy of "Animals" again to remind me of the goodness I have to work with[8-|] Anything that good is usually illegal.....or heavily taxed...

Side note- If you go the Denon103R the zu mod seems to be the cat's behind according to many senior forum members.I bought a 103r with the intention of sending it out for this mod. After I bought the 103R- I find out from ZU that there AINT NO ^%^% parts available for the mod. The SME Tomearm is way too complicated for my ability level to set up. A realy top notch TT setup will set you back 250-300 from my tech(He is really really good). So I am sitting here with a 103r and a Thorens 125 that is not being used to avoid another set up charge when the mods become available. You may want to consider waiting a few months to buy a new cart for this mod- It is 200 + your donor cart. I paid less than 500.00 for the 130r from E-Bay. The seller has 2000 feedbacks and the cart has checked out as new. I see them for under 500 often. My 2 cents worth.

Great system- 1000 congrats

I am glad that the table is working out. I credit your success to your patience with the setup. I am always nervous telling folks my opinion on how good vinyl rigs sound because there are so many set up varibles that play into a quality result. I still tweak the setup on mine from time to time to see if I am getting it all out on the table(?).

Glad to see that there are a few of us left that enjoy the qualities of a R2R. Your set up looks great.

Well, apparently no wiring issues....a clean MX110 and an installed Thorens today. From the inaugural listening session: Quite simply, fantastic.

I LIKE IT!!!!!!

Is that a weight on top of the vinyl?

That is a "puck stabilizer", which serves to keep the record firm to the table and free of vibration.

A broader system view....

Are going to install the tender feet points on the plinth? I thought they firmed up the sound a bit.

I'll get around to that eventually....presumably in that "early fall" period when I get down to the fine details - and when I get a bit more familiar with the sonics of the setup. I decided initially to just use the plinth solo, and hear for myself the benefits of the feet in and of themselves. I also expect to swap out that shelf for something more permanent and better suited for this....the shelf is just resting on the top, it's not permanently affixed.