Where should i put my surrounds?? Need Help! With Pics

BluBitRates

Well i am trying to get my home theater completed and just need to get a different tv stand and put up some good surrounds. I have some brand new rs-62s so i am trying to see if they are going to work in my room. The room is 16' by 17' tv on short end. The room is full of windows and doors so it is making this hard. I have 3 pics i will include and will take more if that will help you guys help me! Okay here is the first pic, this is the wall the Back Right Surround should go on, the x indicates where i would like to put the surround. Measurements are taken from the center of where the speaker would be. On this wall i also have a mantle to deal with where i do not want to deflect sound directly into it.

post-42346-1381958418196_thumb.jpg

Okay, here is the next pic. This is the Back Left Surround. I am torn whether i want to put it farther upfront or farther back. As you can see by the measurements that neither lines up with the other side (back right surround). The back of the couch is at 48'' by the way.

post-42346-13819584182792_thumb.jpg

Now as you can see my directly back wall is clear so i would have no problem mounting them here but i am pretty sure this would not disperse the sound like it is suppose to. My other options are mounting the speakers at the tops of the ceiling (above the windows and doors) this would be perfect except i think the speaker would be too high. Also if i put my tv on the back wall instead of where it is at i would have a place to mount both speakers parallell to each other but and the very back of the room, making a half of the side of the speaker aiming directly at the wall. This may be a decent solution but i would have to rerun a new cable jack to the tv.

post-42346-13819584183724_thumb.jpg

It is an option but isnt optimal for a few reasons. I dont want to sink much into them, i dont want to put velcrow on the bottom of the speaker and risk blemishing the speaker, i like the idea of them being out of the way on the way, seems like they would be a cleaner install

• Moderators

What about in the back right corner, and where it looks like a short wall comes out on the left rear, to the right of the window by the fireplace, both angled toward the center of the sofa ?

My second choice would be on the back wall as far apart as possible.

If one is farther away from the center of the sofa just adjust the sound to match, at the center of the sofa.

I would mount them to the side walls, angled down to fire to the center of the sofa. This would give you proper placement front to rear and give you a wide target aera or sweet spot on the sofa. Just use speaker mounts that screw to the back of the speaker, not the sides or bottom. This is what I did with my rears and the mounts are good for something like 35 pounds each I think.

These are rated for 25 pounds

Personally, I would probably mount them on the back wall. If you ever move to 7.1, you could add dipole/bipole speakers for the sides of the room...I think traditional front-facing speakers are meant to be a little behind the listinening position in a 5.1 set up.

As far as placement on the wall, I would go even with the sides of the couch, possibly angled in if possible, but not a big deal. You could put them at ear level when sitting (this may look funny on the wall), or mount them higher and tilt them down if possible.

If I am seeing things correctly, I would Mount the TV and mains on the big wall (with nothing on it). Use the Fireplace as a vocal point sitting area...........

JMHO..............

(i am really bothered by the new house designs where they want to put a TV over the Fireplace..............)

since they are rs-62's the back wall would have been fine. i do how ever understand the move to get RSX speakers. this happens a lot in ht. you want something but when it comes down to it, you simply can't use them. i would have almost suggest for simplicity reasons, going with a good 2.1 set up.

i just did a RSX install at a buddys house. he went with the RSX 4 line (3's in the back), and it turned out well. they are mounted on the ceiling and get the job done.

good luck with it all.

Yeah, klipsch support said back wall would work too. I sort of wish that i could have kept those speakers but money is a little to tight for me to keep $600 speakers that dont work perfectly in my room. I have a chance to get some used rb-61s for $180 but i have to drive 2 hours round trip, what do you guys think? The problem i have with these is once again my ears will be a bit hidden behind the couch and i will be able to more directionally locate the surrounds than the rs series. Also i will have to figure out stands or a mount

after some research i found out the rb-61 has no onboard mounting capabilites. How rediculous!? I would probably be buying stands for them and i dont really trust gravity to keep them on if they get bumped. What to do what to do, advice would be appreciated. It is a 2 hour drive round trip for a $180 pair of rb-61s

after some research i found out the rb-61 has no onboard mounting capabilites. How rediculous!? I would probably be buying stands for them and i dont really trust gravity to keep them on if they get bumped. What to do what to do, advice would be appreciated. It is a 2 hour drive round trip for a $180 pair of rb-61s

why is that ridiculous? it's a bookshelf speaker and not meant to be mounted. if you want mountable speakers you need to go with the RS speakers.

The bookshelf speaker is meant to be put on stands i mean it is on them in the klipsch stock pictures! I am saying it is rediculous they did not include some threaded mounting holes atleast on the bottom to secure them to the stands. I hate to trust a $500 pair of speakers on stands if there is anyone besides me walking in the area. I am happy with them so far but they are not near what the rs-62 was as a surround (i watched one movie with them). I also tested them aside my rf-82s as mains and the difference is huge, the rf-82s rock! Great to have a matching set though, i plan to get some rs-42s or rs-52s and have a 7.1 eventually

I was using a second pair of RF-82s for surrounds for a few weeks. I really just did not like how the tweeter was the only thing peaking over the couch (i eventually want a home theater couch) so i sold them. I know bass really is not so directional but i felt i was missing a little of the midend sound. I know some people put velcro on the bottom of the speaker and the stand but i really think that the velco would strip the veneer if you ever decided to take it off.

when i had my 61's (sold them for RS-42's, those simply worked way better in my room) i purchased some L brackets from lowes. i then mounted them on the wall and set the 61's on them. i put some speed tape (if you don't know what that is, it's black somewhat thick tape used for several different applications) on the bottom brackets. i then put the rubber feet on the vertical part of the speaker to keep it away from the bracket on the wall. this way, the speakers looked like they were floating on the back wall. i let the speakers hide the bracket. i purchased some drywall screws and anchors, and the anchors i used 1 of them could hold up over 150lbs. i used 5 to each bracket, so 10 total.

Yes inventor i saw your brackets they were very nice indeed! I want to eventually get RS speakers and go to 7.1 though so i am not looking to put unnecessary holes in the wall. Putting them on stands would be really cool but for now i have to almost matching lamp tables (not sure what to call them) That put the speakers at the perfect height and are sturdy and wide enough that the speakers wont fall off. If some nice stands go on craigslist around me i will pick them up for sure and figure something out then. By the way inventor did you get your rs-42s new or used? I am in the market for a pair.