Mcintosh...service locally (LR Ark) or send for Dewick restoration?

I recently purchased a MA-6200 and it is cosmetically and functionally superb. It sounds awesome! The only kink is some static in the volume pot. I talked to a guy in Little Rock at Durham Electronics, he said that he does not do the "complete restorations" as he believes in not replacing anything that hasn't gone bad. He said that he does a thorough run through and will replace or fix anything to bring it to spec, that there is no reason to replace bulbs, caps, ect if they are functioning within original parameters. Well, he seems like a straight forward guy and I'm inclined to take his advice, but from what I've read on the forums, the restorations done by Craig at NosValve or by Terry Dewick are essential for vintage gear. Does anyone have any experience with Durham Electronics and their work?

The amp sounds great and looks great, but then again, is this a case of "you haven't heard what it's really capable of"? If I serviced it locally I'd be out about $100 and without tunes less than a week. If I send it in for restoration I'm looking at probably $350 or more and at least 2 months without tunes. And I've seen some horrible pics of shipping accidents and Macs.

Since the Mac is in such good shape to begin with, am I looking at diminishing returns for a full restoration? If it had more problems I probably wouldn't think twice about sending it for full restoration.

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Andy

Andy,

I'm in a similar situation with my Mac gear. I'm sure I can find someone local that would fix it but taking it to Terry is like getting the item new all over again. So my thinking is if my 2 items have lasted this long and Terry is an authorized Mac guy then I'm going that route just so I don't have to worry about it for the next 30 years or so. Again I don't know if I take it to someone local if it would sound any different or not last the same amount of time but that piece of mind of getting it fixed once and not thinking about it again or paying to get fixed again is worth it to me. Now I just have to find the time to drive down and drop off the items to him and I'll be set.

You might also want to talk to Terry about what he can do cause it might not need the full restoration like you mentioned. If that's the case then see if he will look at and only change what's needed and that should bring down the cost.

James

Andy,

but taking it to Terry is like getting the item new all over again... I don't know if I take it to someone local if it would sound any different or not last the same amount of time but that piece of mind of getting it fixed once and not thinking about it again or paying to get fixed again is worth it to me.

James

I'm inclined to agree. There are too many good reviews of Terry's work not to have his treatment. I've been following some of his threads on AudioKarma, and dude, this guy is the sh*# when it comes to Macs.

That said, I'm planning to move to separates in the near future, using the 6200 as a pre at first then finding a proper pre. I thinik I'm going to get this serviced here in LR to last till I get the separates going, hopefully by summer's end. This integrated will be perfect for a second system, and built so well it could be passed on to my great grandchildren... and I don't even have kids...ha! Terry's got a 2 month backlog, and rightly so, I just don't have a backup amp. And I can't go 2 months without spinning the black circle (a little PJ reference).

I do know what you mean about the 2 month backlog. Lucky for me I do have other receivers that I can use in it's place for the time being. That is another mess that I'm trying to figure out at the moment. I want to get my 4 receivers looked at first then get the Mac items done. This way I'll have something to listen to while they are each away.

Do report back how the local guy works out for you.

What kind of separates are you looking at getting?

James

Well, I have a short list of tube amps that I'd like, VRDs at the top of the list but also Latino's st-70 or Bottlehead. But I've only got reviews to go on.

Since listening to the Mcintosh the last few months I've come to love the sound. Now I'm thinking of sticking with it. The Mac tube amps are pretty pricey but may be worth it for the sound. I've also been looking at the mc-2105 and mc-2505 for a SS alternative, and for around a grand I think they're a real bargain.

For a pre, I was thinking a c32 or c33. Before having the mac, I was almost set on a Juicy Music pre. I think I'd still like the JM if I went with one of the tube amps above. I planned on starting a "I've got $3500 or so to spend, where should I spend it" thread.

I had Durhams do some work for me many years ago when I still lived in the Little Rock area. It was just some minor work on a Pioneer receiver I had at the time. I have no problems with Durhams or the quality of their work. However, since you have a Mac, I would go ahead and get a restoration done on it.

Go with the JM pre whatever you do. In my experience the JM pre will open up the sound of the tube macs way more so than the mac pre's will. Not sure what kind of music you mostly listen to but it will make a difference regarding which amp direction to go in.

There is a pretty significant difference between the Bottlehead, the VRD's and the mac SS that you mentioned.

If it were me, I would look to buy a Blueberry pre amp, if you listen to vinyl, a merlin or a peach if you do not. If you go with the merlin approach, craig at NOS Valves does a really neat upgrade that you would want to explore.

After securing the pre- amp, I would then begin the search for the amp. You should have enough dough left over to have a pretty sweet system. Again the approach on the amp will depend a fair bit on the room size and the music you listen to.

FWIW I would have saved myself a fair bit of dough had I gone to a JM pre first.

Josh

Yep, the Blueberry is what I'm looking at. I've noticed they're popping up less and less though. I guess with no new ones being put out they're being held onto pretty tight.

I know there are lots of differences in the amps, but I've not heard any of them.I like the VRDs on paper the best, and everyone raves about them, but they're not cheap. The latino st-70 or st-120 looks to be a good bang for buck deal, and have read nothing but good things. Bottlehead may be somthing I want to build in the future but I'm not sure about using as my main. If I pull the trigger on the VRDs, I'll need to refill the coffers before I move on the Juicy Music.

I can personally vouch for Terry's service and he performed what I needed or desired as for as fix/overhaul. That being said, whatever you do, get factory Mc or Audio Classics to send you the correct shipping container. Trust me on this, it'll be the best 50 bucks you ever spent if shipping ANY McIntosh.

What he said [;)]

2" thick wraps of bubble wrap + bubble wrap to fill heavy duty box. Place that inside another box at least 4" bigger in all 3 dimensions (for 2" rigid foam all around). Use heavy duty boxes (I score boxes that held things like computers, copiers and the like). Dats what I do. Terry did a good job with some minor adjustments to my Mac 1900 a few years back, but yeah, probably could have had it done locally for lots less (considering shipping). So, the more detailed and extensive the work, the more I'd consider using Mr. DeWick's services.

Terry DeWick is the best but if you don't want to ship call up Twin City Antique Mall they carry vintage audio gear. They have some nice stuff. Ask for Mike he has a tech that services his gear and he does services and reapair. http://www.twincityantiquemall.com/

Seti...don't know if you've dealt with their guy in awhile but he's had my Marantz 2245 that joshnich gave me for almost 3 yrs. One channel was out & this guy can't fix it. I've bought several parts he said he needed but alas. I need to pick it up & get it to Durham I suppose.

Seti...don't know if you've dealt with their guy in awhile but he's had my Marantz 2245 that joshnich gave me for almost 3 yrs. One channel was out & this guy can't fix it. I've bought several parts he said he needed but alas. I need to pick it up & get it to Durham I suppose.

Hmmm, doesn't sound promising. I'm heading to Durham's tomorrow for the service, when I get some new gear I'll send it for the Dewick treatment.

Terry DeWick is the best but if you don't want to ship call up Twin City Antique Mall they carry vintage audio gear. They have some nice stuff. Ask for Mike he has a tech that services his gear and he does services and reapair. http://www.twincityantiquemall.com/

That was the old guy Rich and he was loosly affiliated with Twin City where as the new guy is in the shop a couple times a week and is very fast. I still don't have my 78 player back from Rich who is a thief. I'll have to go to Jacksonville to get it back. If that jack*** has your gear get it back now. Maybe we should make a group trip. The new guy has a faster turn around and can even produced testing documentation. Kaiser got his vintage HK cleaned up and tested in a few weeks.

If you get a Mac that needs service I doubt anyone can do it better than DeWick especially for the price.

I'm not taking sides here or demeaning anyone but here's a little info for ya on the Marantz...

There's a lot of guys that won't work on them. The Marantz don't like to stay fixed. IF..yes IF I had a Marantz that needed worked on I'd search out a Marantz Guru to work on it. Find someone with full knowledge of the quirks and personalities of the Marantz systems. Simple issues aren't a problem but they do have some issues that require "the best".

Harry

I'd like to fill you in a bit on Mr. Terry De Wick!

I met Terry a coupe of years ago when I dropped off a Fisher 500c for a rebuild. I was able to find his house easy enough with the Tom Tom. He lives on the western side Of Knoxville, TN in a quiet, older part of town.

I knocked on the door of his double garage that had been converted to an electronics workshop, one side was FILLED with all types and kinds of recievers and had Macintosh gear everywhere.... on the other side of his garage was a 50's or 60's Woody in teriffic shape...

More to my absolute surprise was to find out that he was an old ASAer (US Army Security Agency). He was stationed in Ft. Devens most of his time in the Army, it was during his Army time that he was trained on radio/crypto repair, and we are enjoying the benefits of that training even today. Terry was in the Army during the mid 60's so he was in during the tube days.

Terry and I hit it right off!, I too was in the ASA as a 31J20-B3 Teletype repair so we just sarted in talking about the "good old days" it was most difficult to leave that evening. As a true ASAer Terry has his share of "Now this is no shit" stories about drinking beer and driving his Woody around Ft. Devens.

On the technical side, Terry's bench was full of test and repair gear. He had a Mac sitting on his bench going thru a post repair burn in, he had stacks of gear in boxes waiting for his expert touch.

the bottom line up front is that I highly recommend Terryand the work he does. My Fisher sounds teriffic now, its around 45 years old........ brought back to life by Mr. De Wick....

Couple of comments:

1. Regarding Terry... it might also be useful to know that Terry's attitude seems to be "I'll take it back to original specs, I won't 'modify' something". Meaning, there are people out there who say make "this and this" changes from the original design to improve something. Terry seems to shun that logic and all of his efforts are focused on pushing something back to original ONLY. He certainly might deviate from that but that is something he told me as I was visiting once.

2. I'm currently planning on going to the bash in Hope in a couple weeks. I'll be driving there. I will probably take the Camry as opposed to the Suburu Forester which has more room than the Camry. If someone has something at Hope or can get it to me at Hope (and I'm in fact, able to be there...I still have something pending that might prevent that)....I'd be more than happy to hand deliver it to Terry upon my return. Anything beyond that would be between the two of you but you could then at least, be sure of comfy treatment on the way TO Terry's. If you have an original McIntosh box....then there might be issues. I once had a MC-2102 and if memory serves me correctly, the entire double box would NOT fit inside my car. I don't recall if it fit in the trunk or how I got it home (perhaps with trunk lid open). Obvously no one wants me driving down the highway with your item in my trunk and the lid open so size becomes an issue.

Regardless.... you could always ship the empty box to Terry for the return and put the item itself in my back seat!!!

So, as long as we remember that I'm only 90% sure on being there (already have my hotel reservation), I'll be more than happy to transport anything that will fit into my car, back to Terry.