Emotiva vs B&K with RF7s

bignasty27

Im currently running a B&K 200.7 (200 watts per channel) with my full RF7 7.1 setup. I have been struggling with trying to improve the sound of my system and I keep reading good things about Emotiva. My question is, has anyone compared a B&K amp to an Emotiva? Im thinking about the XP2 and the XPA5 to replace the B&K. Would this be an improvement?

I dont feel the clarity, the soundstage and the in your face sound with the B&K, plus listening at lower volumes simply stinks. I want more power!!!!

My room is 25 feet long by 14 wide and I have treated it acoustically with sound panels.

My pre is an Onkyo pr-sc886

Any thoughts? Should I make the switch to Emotiva?? Will I be blown away by the sound??

I dont feel the clarity, the soundstage and the in your face sound with the B&K, plus listening at lower volumes simply stinks. I want more power!!!!

Say WHAT???!!!??? I am also running a B&K Ref 200.7 with my RF-7s and I don't seem to have any of those problems. I was actually utterly blown away at the clarity and detail that I was getting out of my rig with the B&K. If I count the dinning room area, my room is actually a good 15 x 20 or so feet, but I have it all setup in a 14 x 15 foot section of the room. As to why you are not experiencing the same, I'd have no idea. Perhaps you went a little overboard with the acoustic panels? I am not using any special room treatments myself, however.

I just have a feeling that the Emotiva would probably not be any better, but than again, I guess there is only one way to really find out (regardless of what anybody says here). Ultimatly, you may just have to bite it and get a unit to try for yourself (and you probably could sell that B&K for a decent amount, as those are actually very good amps in my opinion. Probably enough to pay for the Emotiva amp).

I guess, in the end - different strokes for different folks.

While I have no experience with a B&K/RF-7 combo, my B&K/RF-63 combo is just fantastic. To tell you the truth, upgrading from just a receiver to the amp was night and day. What really changed my system(for the better) was upgrading my digital source to a higher end unit. A good transport and DAC or a high end CD or DVD player will surely aid in obtaining that clarity and soundstage you are seeking. Don't sell your B&K short before you explore other areas. The B&K 200.7 is a very high current amp with a neutral/warm sound that will tame the RF-7's some. If the starting point is of better quality it should only be enhanced by the amplification.

Just my thoughts,

Bill

Don't sell your B&K short before you explore other areas. The B&K 200.7 is a very high current amp with a neutral/warm sound that will tame the RF-7's some. If the starting point is of better quality it should only be enhanced by the amplification.

Just my thoughts,

Bill

I have to so agree with this. That is the experience I've gotten with my B&K Ref 200.7 and RF-7s. I love the clarity and detail, plus it is just so smooth sounding. I've listened to many a tube-n-Heritage setup, yet get back to my own rig and just amazed at how good it actually sounds.

My gut feeling is that there is probably something else going on with the OP's system instead of just the amplification. Without more details, it would be hard to pin an answer to the problem beyond the simple "change the amp".

actually i have been tempted to do the dean g upgrade. anyone have any experience with the upgrade??

what can i expect??

I have the DeanG upgraded crossovers. The short answer to your question is money well spent. I would suggest the DeanG upgrade for the center channel as well.

Some photos of stock, DeanG crossovers & my upgraded center channel crossover: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/135665.aspx

im using an onkyo 885 preamp...it received great reviews and was $2k when I bought about 2 years ago

Your 885 as well as the 886 and the Integra pre/pros are often praised by expert reviewers and consumers. Unless the Onkyo has technical/operational issues, I doubt that is where your link is missing. On the other hand there are better prepros out there but you will pay more $$$ for them.

Bill

Hey whats up. I have RF-7s and an RC-7 powered by an XPA-3 and I think it is just flat out awesome. Plays very well at lower volumes, punchy, dynamic, in your face when it needs to be. I am looking to do the DeanG mod for all three speakers in the near future. For you, I think the XPA-2 would be a definite improvement over the B&K for what your looking to accomplish. However, I think the XPA-5 would only be a marginal imporvement, but it should be a little bit more "lively" compared to the B&K in my opinion. Where you live by the way?

My bet is on this point by a previous poster: "Perhaps you went a little overboard with the acoustic panels?"

Over-damped rooms sound like what you described. Are the sound panels all absorbers? Leave them in at the points of first reflection, and take a few out, or put in some diffusing hard surfaces, or DIY or commercial diffusers, and I'll bet it will sound better. Given half a chance, some dealers will over-sell absorbers.

im using an onkyo 885 preamp...it received great reviews and was $2k when I bought about 2 years ago...is there a preamp you can recommend??

I was trying to think outside the box for a moment because I think that you amp should provide plenty of power for the 7 series, maybe the pre/pro is not set up correctly...

I have the Emotiva XPA5 and 7 series and I am absolutely blown away by the sound for both music and movies; detail, clairty, and power to spare. I would try to get someone over to your place that might be more knowledgeable to help before you start buying new pieces that you may not need.

Good luck and let us know what fixes your issue.

What you need is a QSC PLX2402 pro amp to drive the RF-7s.

425W / ch at 8Ω, and 2Ω stable ... at 1200W / ch. [H]

I have one I've been saving for when I upgrade from 5 to 7.1. I'm running everything on my Outlaw 7500 now, but once I add rear speakers, I'll run everything but the mains off the 7500 and put the RF-7s on my QSC. I ran it in a stereo steup for a while before I got the Outlaw and it's an amazing amp. It pretty much laughs at anything you can throw at it. Also, it's a very good sonic match for the RF-7. They just get along well together. The RF-7 has an impedence dip that can stress some amps, but the 2Ω stability of the QSC means it doesn't even blink at any impedence changes.

I see them on ebay all the time, usually in the $300-$600 range.