23 x 15 room and Klipschorns

99PanozAIV

Hi all,

So, after finding my bargain on the K'horns and now having them just about ready to go, I've realized (actually kinda knew all along) that the current movie room will not work. So, the wife and I have decided to take over the office/library. This room is 23 x 15 but unfortunately, the only way it works is for the K'horns (as front side speakers in a 7.1 setup) to go into the corners of the long wall. We end up with a viewing distance on our 61" DLP of about 13 feet, which though a bit long, is how we have it now and we like it. My concern is whether I'm spreading the soundstage up front too much. Has anyone had any experience with speaker placement like this? Comments?

Hi all, So, after finding my bargain on the K'horns and now having them just about ready to go, I've realized (actually kinda knew all along) that the current movie room will not work. So, the wife and I have decided to take over the office/library. This room is 23 x 15 but unfortunately, the only way it works is for the K'horns (as front side speakers in a 7.1 setup) to go into the corners of the long wall. We end up with a viewing distance on our 61" DLP of about 13 feet, which though a bit long, is how we have it now and we like it. My concern is whether I'm spreading the soundstage up front too much. Has anyone had any experience with speaker placement like this? Comments?

For 2 channel listening, what you describe would be perfect, the Klipschorns are at a 45 degree axis from the front wall, so the sweet spot listening of them converging from 23 feet apart will be 11.5 feet from the front wall, but..... In a surround sound system, and especially in 7.1, the front sound stage needs to be on the narrow wall so you have the room dept for the same kind of convergence from the rear surrounds.

Roger

This room is 23 x 15 but unfortunately, the only way it works is for the K'horns (as front side speakers in a 7.1 setup) to go into the corners of the long wall...My concern is whether I'm spreading the soundstage up front too much.

I think that you will notice that the "offscreen sound locations" in 5.1 or 7.1 will be much wider than the flat screen dimensions. That is the only downside. You may be able to mitigate this by using a "center blend" function on your AVP/AVR if it has one. This might work on 5.1 source material, or maybe it won't.

For 2-channel operation, you will find that turning on a "3.1" synthesized surround for any stereo input material will probably sound even better than PWK's original 3-channel box, since you will have control of crossover frequency of the center channel, and you will have a crossover to a subwoofer.

Remember, bigger subs are better when it comes to Khorns. If you don't already have a sub(s), I'd recommend looking at horn-type subwoofers to have a more seamless transition to the Khorns.

Chris

Hi all,

So, after finding my bargain on the K'horns and now having them just about ready to go, I've realized (actually kinda knew all along) that the current movie room will not work. So, the wife and I have decided to take over the office/library. This room is 23 x 15 but unfortunately, the only way it works is for the K'horns (as front side speakers in a 7.1 setup) to go into the corners of the long wall.

Unfortunately? Nah... fortunately!

I designed my HT room for Klipschorns on the long wall. 23 feet is just about perfect! It will rock! Sweet spot 11.5 feet from the front wall is great for that size screen and the sound will be fantastic. What center are you sing?

Should be fine, even spectacular, as long as your center can keep up the way a LaScala, Belle, or Cornwall would.
Screw
Arrange the surrounds. Even on the back wall might be O.K. for surroiunds in a room like yours, but it might be better to have your surrounds a bit out from the wall. Either way, aim them at the ears of the person in the center seat, or splay them out slightly wider.

Hey 99,

Here is a link to a thread I started before I changed my room to just about the exact layout you are going with.

LINK

I found the long wall set-up to be MUCH nicer for 2 channel listening, but a bit of a trade off for HT duties.

For me, the long wall provides a much wider soundstage but the rear channels are limited for the surround effects.

On my original set-up when using the short wall, I was able to have the surrounds (Heresys) back behind the main listening

positions by about 3-4 feet and this gave a much nicer depth to the rear effects.

I am more critical about 2 channel music so I can live with this trade off... however it is still not too bad for movies.

I have almost identical room dimensions with Modded k horns on the front narrow wall. My chair is 11 feet back. 7.1 works great in a long narrow room like yours/mine. RED ALERT- the RC 62 will not work with the k horns-Been there tried that with an RC64 which I hated to sell. Cant mix Reference with Heritage. Horn mismatch. Lose the 62- buy a single lascala- or maybe a cornwall. There are other heritage choices but I am partiar to the Lascala both as center and rears. Feed it a bunch of outboard power and you are on your way to HT nirvana big time My K horn based HT system kills the local movie theaters.

The k horns also offfer limitless possibilities for an external 2 ch setup if you dont mind having a switchbox or changing speaker leads back and forth. Personally I was not able to get satisfactory 2ch sound out of my CD mode Ht receiver.

Also consider modding the k horns to 2" trachorns- big drivers with ALK universal Xovers. This is an OMG mod for HT or 2 ch.

Please let us know how it works out. Good luck.