My spin clean story

I have slowly been getting back into vinyl. I got some used records last week from my family including both mono and stereo versions of Pete Rugolo Adventures in Sound and a 1960s Maynard Ferguson (MF SI SI). Anyway, the records had too much surface noise so I bought a spin clean record cleaner based on the positive reviews on Stereophile and on audiokarma.

Here are my results.

The only failure was on a rather beat up record of Maynard Ferguson Chameleon, the sound was improved a little but is still noisy due to the condition. The rest of the albums were improved to the point of sounding new. The early 60s recording MF SI SI had only one repeating pop which I think is probably an imperfection in the LP.

After cleaning about 20 records I looked in the basin and there was hair and all kinds of nasty stuff. These records had mostly been cleaned before with a discwasher.

So, I recommend the spinclean as a cost effective record cleaner at about 60 bucks. It is low tech, but works really well. It is also made in USA.

Good report and I agree, for the money the Spinclean is hard to beat. I have one and have since upgraded to a Nitty Gritty vac which offers better results. Steam cleaning is also nice, but from time to time, I still use my my Spinclean as a pre-wash and it's work well.

IMO stay away from alcohol-based cleaning solutions, but if you spin vinyl you'd better find some method of cleaning records.

Richard,

Thanks for the write up and reminding me that I need to start looking again at cleaners. I just might pick this one up, nice a simple and cost effective. My LP collection has grown so I need to start taking care of them for continued listening enjoyment....

James

Thanks for the recommendation. I am in severe need of a good modest priced record cleaning system, now that my Thorens is here....in fact I've put my table on hold for the most part until I DO get a cleaner in here. I too want a "Nitty Gritty" but after the expenditure on the Thorens I've got to wait a bit on that.

Well $60 versus $3,500 might be one reason for using the SpinClean.

Had no idea they were so ridiculously overpriced. Nevertheless, surely a decent sized ultrasonic and a small frame over the top to act as pivot would do the same job even if not as simple or easy as the linked item.

Well $60 versus $3,500 might be one reason for using the SpinClean.

Had no idea they were so ridiculously overpriced. Nevertheless, surely a decent sized ultrasonic and a small frame over the top to act as pivot would do the same job even if not as simple or easy as the linked item.

I've wanted to try ultrasound for awhile now. I think it might be a good way to clean records. Can't find one that's either long and deep enough to plop half the platter in the solution, or wide enough to immerse the whole thing. That's in my price range: i.e dirt cheap. Since its' an experiment can't afford big bucks.

As far as the SpinClean, they've gone up. Bought mine for $60 at Garage-A-Records. now they are $80 but with free shipping.

I've wanted to try ultrasound for awhile now. I think it might be a good way to clean records. Can't find one that's either long and deep enough to plop half the platter in the solution, or wide enough to immerse the whole thing.

If you immerse the whole thing you would end up damaging the centre label. Probably not what you want. I would think you only need to immerse about 1/3 of the LP. Namely from the inner to outer tracks. Then just turn it a bit every 30 seconds or so.

I bought one a short while ago. After cleaning twenty-five records and looking at all the crud laying in the bottom I was initially impressed. When I played several of the cleaned lps I noticed a lot of crackling that wasn't there previously. Not so impressed then. I decided to reclean the twenty-five and make a few changes beforehand. I thoroughly washed the cleaning brushes, added some of my home brew record cleaner and used distilled water(50/50 mix in the tank), and after spinning them I rinsed them thoroughly before drying with microfiber towels. The first twent-five are now dead quiet, with the exception of any imperfections that existed to start with, and sound much better than they did before the first cleaning. I also noticed that after the second cleaning, using the modified solution, that there was even more crud in the bottom of the tank. This leads me to believe that the supplied detergent is a bit weak. Your results may differ from mine. Overall, the Spin Clean does a hell of a job for what it costs.
Regards, Sam [H]

I bought one last week after reading this thread (thanks Richard Guba)

I've cleaned about 75 records so far over the course of 2 nights, about 20 records / hour rough guess. Before the Spin Clean I really didn't have a good way to clean them, and buying a full blown RCM was not in my plans.

It's simple to do and seems to work very well. Some of the records I got from who knows where that were borderline playable are now perfectly fine and pretty darn quiet.

I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

So I'm finally going to order the Spin Clean next week and was looking for some advice. The people that own one already, is it worth it to get more of the solution from Spin Clean or making a home brew would be fine.

If a home brew is fine what should it consist of beside distilled water.

Thanks,

James